Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan - analysis & discussion

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Blimey looks that way and a direct quote (if true) from Ryan.

“The day before the Fulham game, the manager told me he’d be giving the other goalkeeper (Sanchez) a substantial to run to see how he goes, and would be keeping Jason Steele as his second choice as he likes the way he fulfils the role,” Ryan told The World Game.

“He added that if I get a good offer in January I should take it, knowing that I want to be playing week-in week-out.

“It came as a shock and a surprise that he said that.

“Knowing where I stand now, from what was communicated to me, perhaps it might be better that we do go our separate ways.

“However, until that opportunity comes - and it’s a good project - then, as far as I’m concerned, I’m a Brighton player and I’m here to fight for my spot.”

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)

Although I think Ryan needed to be rested I still don’t understand why he isn’t on the bench? Seems to be another ridiculous Potter decision to have a keeper on the bench that you will never pick to start a game. To drop Ryan and tell him he can leave in January is bizarre and further evidence of Potters inability to mange at this level!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It's a real shame if this ends acrimoniously, Ryan has had some iffy form but he has been great for us at times and was a PL stalwart for a reason.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Translates to “Potter doesn’t rate him as first or second choice keeper”

Time to move on Maty

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Although I think Ryan needed to be rested I still don’t understand why he isn’t on the bench? Seems to be another ridiculous Potter decision to have a keeper on the bench that you will never pick to start a game. To drop Ryan and tell him he can leave in January is bizarre and further evidence of Potters inability to mange at this level!

GP and the analysts have deemed Ryan’s form simply not good enough.

His save ratio in the EPL is I think the worst of any regular keeper. Over a number of games, that’s not bad luck or only facing worldies.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

He was lucky to get a game for the last season and a half.

IMO he wasn’t that great a signing and not much of an improvement on Stockdale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
He was lucky to get a game for the last season and a half.

IMO he wasn’t that great a signing and not much of an improvement on Stockdale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I completely agree. He was a £5mil keeper and you get what you pay for. He has been suspect since he arrived!

I just think it is all a bit strange that he gets dropped and told he can move on straight away. Also why would you not have your number 2 on the bench. GP is saying Steele isn't good enough to start but is good on the bench? Surely you have your best 2 keepers in the match day squad, especially as there is no reserve team football these days.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I completely agree. He was a £5mil keeper and you get what you pay for. He has been suspect since he arrived!

I just think it is all a bit strange that he gets dropped and told he can move on straight away. Also why would you not have your number 2 on the bench. GP is saying Steele isn't good enough to start but is good on the bench? Surely you have your best 2 keepers in the match day squad, especially as there is no reserve team football these days.

Yes it is strange. I have a lot of time for Steele, as he always played well against us.

I sometimes wonder whether its got to the point where GP genuinely doesn't know his best starting eighteen including the goalies.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Hmmm to my mind l think there may well be far more to this. It could concievably be Ryan's decision to go, maybe he has told Potter that he wants away, and if that is the case why include an unhappy player in your matchday squad?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Hmmm to my mind l think there may well be far more to this. It could concievably be Ryan's decision to go, maybe he has told Potter that he wants away, and if that is the case why include an unhappy player in your matchday squad?

Multiple factors could be in play indeed. Would you like to sit on the bench watching your ex-wife ****ing her new man while cameras are broadcasting your reaction, or would you rather stay out. Not necessarily very fun for Ryan. And for Sanchez, having the previous starting keeper on the bench just adds extra pressure to a young, inexperienced guy. I see plenty of reasons why no Ryan at all is better for all parts than having him on the bench. Only the club knows the exact reasoning though.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Yes it is strange. I have a lot of time for Steele, as he always played well against us.

I sometimes wonder whether its got to the point where GP genuinely doesn't know his best starting eighteen including the goalies.

You don’t want to have a new number one keeper, and have the previous number one sitting on the bench all the time. Going with all the match day squad every week.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006

Harsh IMHO
MR has been consistent and far from suspect since he arrived Although he does seem to have regressed since that tournament he partook off in Asia ?Don’t recall many Stockdale esque blunders
Just very few point/ match winning saves Except perhaps that long range effort heading for the top corner tail end of last season ?
That you need a keeper to weigh in with over the course of a season If you want to be successful

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I am stalking your posts in hope of hearing something positive about the Albion from you, I fear I may be doing this for a while :lolol:

I will try and stop responding until I do :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here