[Football] Marcus Rashford abuse on social media.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't. Not at all. You don't have to look too far for abuse online in any way shape or form and Rashford's profile and job means he is going to get more than his fair share. I've seen enough screen shots of abuse from people who are way lower profile than him – comments just from one tweet or comment. The trouble with social media is that there is a snowball effect – once one person makes a racist comment (behind the comfort of anonymity a lot of the time), others are emboldened to do the same. It's disgusting.

However, racism isn't going to go away just because you give social media companies more power to 'clamp down' on it. Until you get – or even attempt to get – to the root cause of racism through education, punishment, mediation or whatever, it's never going to go away.

Asking people to just ignore it is just bizarre. How is that doing anything apart from effectively enabling racists to carry on being racist (see the USA after 4+years of Trump).

It's 2021 – there is no reason why anyone should be verbally or physically attacked for their colour of their skin, race, religion, sexuality, football team or any other aspect of their life.

The big problem with the education, punishment and mediation solution is that a huge number of these racist abusers live overseas.

We can’t wait for 200 countries to get onboard. Will Russia, China and Turkey for example be at all interested in the racist words of a few citizens posted on social media?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Tomorrow people will move onto the next thing

Or the next day.

Sterling might miss a sitter on Saturday night, that'll take the pressure off Rashford...

...oh.

Harmyar

Mar 24, 2021
That post is pretty much how I would define white privilege from someone who clearly has never had to deal with racist abuse and broadly speaking has absolutely no clue what that experience must be like.

Its not stick and stones, and has f*ck all to do with being in the political arena. It racist abuse, which is a scurge in our society. You clearly don't realise this, and by trivialising it in the way that you have there and saying it's just something he will have to accept because of HIS actions, YOU are well and truly part of the broader problem.
Have you ever had to deal with racist abuse ?

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
It may be that said maths teacher is not in the UK. I don't know.

A lot of these racial slurs eminate from abroad. This is not to deny the problem, but highlight that
it is a universal issue and difficult to police.

Impossible to police! What on earth are British police going to be able to do when vast majority of the abuse is from abroad?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Impossible to police! What on earth are British police going to be able to do when vast majority of the abuse is from abroad?

That's where Twitter comes in.

The algorithms should be advanced enough now to instantly ban accounts that use abusive language. It is possible that they get it wrong (a friend got a FB warning for jokingly calling me a 'tart' and someone in my FB group was put on the naughty step for using the term 'Devil's Dyke' :lolol:)

If they do get it wrong it can be corrected through simple appeal.

It really is that simple. It's a no nonsense policy that might have teething problems but if these places were kinder then they would get more traffic.

NSC is a fine example. Less than 5% moan about the moderating and there seems to be a regular group of folk who get banned. I suspect the vast majority have never had an infraction. Once folk see that a forum is good for debate and well looked after it increases the usage. Win win.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
As one of more hysterical posts accusing me of racism on this thread, let’s get your hands off the pearls, dry out your mattress and understand specifically what is happening with Rashford today.

Rashford is evidently being subjected to a lot of comments on social media concerning his performance last night. Some of that is abhorrent racist abuse, some of it abhorrent abuse, some of it sarcastic abuse etc. There is supportive stuff too, just for balance.

If you (and others) are only concerned about the abhorrent racist abuse he is getting then I have no axe to grind that the perpetrators are identified and subject to justice (whatever that means in the local jurisdictions from which the abuser resides). Good luck to whoever is coordinating that analysis, legal assessments and passing the details over for the relevant authorities etc. around the world to pursue, I am sure those authorities have no other competing priorities at the moment.

On the assumption that the above steps are undertaken, that still leaves all the other abhorrent abuse comments and sarcasm comments etc. The global authorities have no reason to go after the perpetrators of this abuse and therefore how should Rashford deal with this abuse?

And I will tell you again, he should a) ignore it.........like ALL the abuse he receives and/or b) come off social media.

Stating this position does not constitute racism, neither does it condone ANY of the abuse.

As this thread proves though, with so many hysterical types on social media these days it’s easy to see how different points of view can drift into abuse.

Neither of your posts are doing much to convince me that you are not condoning and/or excusing the behaviour of racists.

The idea that Rashford shouldn't worry about racist abuse because he has a high profile and a lot of money is interesting though. When does the financial racsm buffer kick in? Does it have to be cash assets or do investments and property count? I know you mentioned a Lamborgini but would a Ferrari count just as well? How about classic sports cars? There are so many variables in this. Maybe just an overall value?

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Sticks and stones innit.

What else do you expect from one of our posters recently banned for racism?

People can choose how they want to deal with adversity and discrimination, ultimately it’s up to them.

If receiving abusive tweets with monkey emojis (such as the one Rashford called out) is going to reduce him to perpetually damping his mattress and giving up his career, he needs to give himself a shake.

It won’t though, he will absolutely carry on with his career, playing for England in the Euros and afterwards for one of the best teams in the world whilst living a life of luxury most people can only dream of.

So, what’s it to be?

Pissy mattress or life of luxury.....sticks and stones innit.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Neither of your posts are doing much to convince me that you are not condoning and/or excusing the behaviour of racists.

The idea that Rashford shouldn't worry about racist abuse because he has a high profile and a lot of money is interesting though. When does the financial racsm buffer kick in? Does it have to be cash assets or do investments and property count? I know you mentioned a Lamborgini but would a Ferrari count just as well? How about classic sports cars? There are so many variables in this. Maybe just an overall value?

It won’t do, you and others are the racist finder generals, sniffing out fascism and racism in every verb and adjective. Rashford being abused online (racially or otherwise) by what appears to be predominantly Man Utd fans from around the world is a sad situation, really sad.

If crimes have been committed in that sphere, then let the authorities pursue them, Twitter as well blah blah blah maybe they remove all the monkey emojis?

However on a personal level Rashford WILL ignore the abuse, he will ignore the racist abuse, the sweary Ranty abuse, the sarcastic abuse and even the amusing abuse (like the GIF of the Man Utd kid being interviewed saying all Man U players are rubbish).

That’s because he is a professional footballer living a life of luxury, he’s not barely surviving and being bullied by his racist workmates, so on the heirachy of sympathy it’s low for me, just as it is Harry and Meghan, and other millionaires saying he shit their lives are. If it’s so bad pack it in.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It won’t do, you and others are the racist finder generals, sniffing out fascism and racism in every verb and adjective. Rashford being abused online (racially or otherwise) by what appears to be predominantly Man Utd fans from around the world is a sad situation, really sad.

If crimes have been committed in that sphere, then let the authorities pursue them, Twitter as well blah blah blah maybe they remove all the monkey emojis?

However on a personal level Rashford WILL ignore the abuse, he will ignore the racist abuse, the sweary Ranty abuse, the sarcastic abuse and even the amusing abuse (like the GIF of the Man Utd kid being interviewed saying all Man U players are rubbish).

That’s because he is a professional footballer living a life of luxury, he’s not barely surviving and being bullied by his racist workmates, so on the heirachy of sympathy it’s low for me, just as it is Harry and Meghan, and other millionaires saying he shit their lives are. If it’s so bad pack it in.

Whatever you need to tell yourself. :thumbsup:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

yes , yes , yes but the media are using the actions of a few idiots to push an agenda and make a whole nation look bad ....(UK ) when most of these tweets are probably from much further afield , i think the vast majority of fans would applaud Rashford for his achievements on and off the pitch ......people who resort to racial abuse in this day and age really are lacking in something upstairs ........having said that , the Irish are obviously still fair game ...."bomb throwers" " bead rattlers " etc etc ......:moo:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
yes , yes , yes but the media are using the actions of a few idiots to push an agenda and make a whole nation look bad ....(UK ) when most of these tweets are probably from much further afield , i think the vast majority of fans would applaud Rashford for his achievements on and off the pitch ......people who resort to racial abuse in this day and age really are lacking in something upstairs ........having said that , the Irish are obviously still fair game ...."bomb throwers" " bead rattlers " etc etc ......:moo:

Is that the UK media? I am not there so can't comment on that. I haven't read a media report on it from downunder.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Sticks and stones innit.

What else do you expect from one of our posters recently banned for racism?

Nothing on the moderating forum about it, so it didn't happen :shrug:

And far be it from me to defend Ppf's racism but at least he can use the excuse that he's a complete moron. There's always been a very nasty mendacious aspect to this particular poster's racist posts.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Is that the UK media? I am not there so can't comment on that. I haven't read a media report on it from downunder.

the BBC are all over it mate ....Fred abused after united loss , Pogba abused after united loss , Ian Wright abused by some kid who was pissed off at his performance on a fifa game ffs........just about says it all ....use the forum these twatts use to abuse players to out them , make them famous , make them kn own to their local authorities , get them visited , charged , fined .....banned from the internet , make them wear women's clothing for a week.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Why do you need a monkey emoji in every day conversation?

Perhaps we should get back to the good old fashioned business of monkey chants and chucking bananas. Water off a duck's back to a millionaire I would think.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Saw an old repeat of Ever Decreasing Circles this morning. Martin talks to a psychiatrist who tells the story of the little boy in a marching band. His mum is watching him in a parade and says to the woman next to her - "Look, my son is the only one marching in time".

Quite apt for some people on this thread, I thought.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports