Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Marcus Rashford abuse on social media.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
could you imagine a polish or romanian thug being forced to dress in sports girls summer ensemble or dorothy perkins summer combinations complete with heels and accessories.

Hang on.....I'm nearly there.....

bhadebenhams

Mar 14, 2009
Why do you need a monkey emoji in every day conversation?

Perhaps we should get back to the good old fashioned business of monkey chants and chucking bananas. Water off a duck's back to a millionaire I would think.

Perhaps have a sliding scale of acceptable racism dependent upon the player's wage level? Could name it the Fergus scale?

<£100k a year, Nickname of spearchucker
£100k-£500k, Throw bananas on the pitch when they are playing
£500k-£1m Monthly burning of crosses outside their homes
£1m-£5m N*gger and C**n acceptable
£5m Tie a rope around the nearest tree

It's just bantz after all?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
What's needed is for governments of the more socially advanced nations (and I use the term loosely) such as UK, EU, USA etc to come together and agree to act in a unified manner.
Forget China, Russia, the Middle East etc, they'll never get on board.
Then:
Legislate to force social media companies and ISPs to comply with a code of practice.
Make them introduce geo-blocking so users can choose who to interact with based on location.
As others have said , bring in ID verification so users can choose to only interact with verified users.
When someone is found to have made offensive posts, then an IP/Device ban, start with one day, increase with repeated offences ("Toby, why can't I get on the internet ?" "Oh I called Marcus Rashford a *************").

SM companies like Facebook/Instagram and Twitter make huge profits, time they started earning it.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Broadly speaking.....

1) Ignore it, sticks and stones innit?
2) Come off social media completely, let your football do your talking?

For football players like Rashford that pursue a public image wider than just football, he will have to accept that by entering political territory he is choosing to expose himself to more abuse.

This board is not immune to abuse football related or otherwise, and it’s moderated. Trying to moderate social media GLOBALLY is a fools errand. Rashford should take succour from being able to run down to the cash point to check his balance in his new lambo or whatever...........that got to make him feel better.

Multi millionaires whining about how bad their life is will never be a good look, regardless of how fashionable it is these days.

I've read a couple of things about this already this morning.
Firstly, he pointed out that he has had at least 70 "racial slurs" this morning - no doubt more by now. To say that is inexcusable is an understatement.
Secondly, comments from him I have read don't seem to me to be "whining". He is merely pointing out the reality.
He is quoted on the BBC website as saying something like "for those of you who are tring to make me feel worse than I already do, good luck for trying. Isn't that a very real illustration of how much effect such things could have on a player's mental health.

One "fan" actually described him as a Donkey, and others saying anybody we pay £300k a week to should be "performing" every match. If they don't want thim, can we have him. A donkey would not have scored the goal he scored against us earlier in the season!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Perhaps have a sliding scale of acceptable racism dependent upon the player's wage level? Could name it the Fergus scale?

<£100k a year, Nickname of spearchucker
£100k-£500k, Throw bananas on the pitch when they are playing
£500k-£1m Monthly burning of crosses outside their homes
£1m-£5m N*gger and C**n acceptable
£5m Tie a rope around the nearest tree

It's just bantz after all?

Well it is all the time that the companies and people responsible for social media sites aren't prepared to do anything about it ???

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Firstly, he pointed out that he has had at least 70 "racial slurs" this morning - no doubt more by now. To say that is inexcusable is an understatement.
Secondly, comments from him I have read don't seem to me to be "whining". He is merely pointing out the reality.
He is quoted on the BBC website as saying something like "for those of you who are tring to make me feel worse than I already do, good luck for trying. Isn't that a very real illustration of how much effect such things could have on a player's mental health.

One "fan" actually described him as a Donkey, and others saying anybody we pay £300k a week to should be "performing" every match. If they don't want thim, can we have him. A donkey would not have scored the goal he scored against us earlier in the season!

There’s only been one person whining - and you’re replying to them! :lolol:

D

Deleted member 22389

I would personally come off Twitter completely. I know he probably finds the platform helpful to promote his work, due to the number of people it reaches, but he's in a financial position to use services like Google AdWords, adverts in newspapers and so on to direct people to his website.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I would personally come off Twitter completely. I know he probably finds the platform helpful to promote his work, due to the number of people it reaches, but he's in a financial to use services like Google AdWords, adverts in newspapers and so on to direct people to his website.

So the answer to racial abuse on social media is for the victim to come off the platform? :ffsparr:

Staggering, even by your standards.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Everyone who uses social media should have to provide full disclosure of who they are, 2 proofs of address & photo ID, that would sort these snide’s out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

D

Deleted member 22389

So the answer to racial abuse on social media is for the victim to come off the platform? :ffsparr:

If someone's abusing you online should you just take it? In my opinion the best therapy is to come off and stay off, that's all.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Is this same action to be bought into real life, I wonder? Do we need to ensure racism is ended by having maybe a section of a football terrace for black people and a section for those who are white? Maybe extend this out into town planning and have separate areas for them to live in?

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
I understand it would be a huge operation to implement, but why not demand that people have a month to provide valid ID in order to keep their social media profiles alive? Any new accounts obviously need the same vetting system, and anyone who starts all this shite on social media can immediately be identified. Won't put an end to it, but will certainly deter 99% of keyboard warriors.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

Unfortunately, what options are there? Twitter isn't going to solve the problem. It's all about the money and there is no motivation or incentive to do anything.

The government could, in theory, block the Twitter platform in the UK but that would cause an outcry. I'm sure plenty of professional footballers would be outraged. This would make us look like China.

As I know from my scambaiting activities, law enforcement is really not interested if the crime has been committed outside of UK jurisdiction. And they don't have the resources to deal with many crimes that take place in the UK.

Probably the majority of the racist slurs are coming from outside of the UK. Eastern Europe would be my guess. But we already know that football followers in many of those countries are racist. So does FIFA. So does UEFA. Nothing happens. Nothing changes.

Coming off Twitter certainly shouldn't be the answer for anybody suffering abuse. But what are the alternatives? How would you stop it?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Unfortunately, what options are there? Twitter isn't going to solve the problem. It's all about the money and there is no motivation or incentive to do anything.

The government could, in theory, block the Twitter platform in the UK but that would cause an outcry. I'm sure plenty of professional footballers would be outraged. This would make us look like China.

As I know from my scambaiting activities, law enforcement is really not interested if the crime has been committed outside of UK jurisdiction. And they don't have the resources to deal with many crimes that take place in the UK.

Probably the majority of the racist slurs are coming from outside of the UK. Eastern Europe would be my guess. But we already know that football followers in many of those countries are racist. So does FIFA. So does UEFA. Nothing happens. Nothing changes.

Coming off Twitter certainly shouldn't be the answer for anybody suffering abuse. But what are the alternatives? How would you stop it?

Twitter has no incentive to solve it. Financial penalties for each instance of racial abuse would concentrate their minds a bit.

But, of course. I know very well that it is not that simple. There is no hard and fast legal definition and plenty of grey - you've seen some of the posts (and playing of the victim when called out) on here to know that many hardcore racists will simply tread a very thin line so that they can carry on being racist. However, as much as it would cause an issue for NSC and other online platforms there has to be a consideration to give the Social Media companies an incentive to shut it down and the only things they understand are money.

The answer is most definitely NOT for BAME people to come off Twitter. That's asking for a huge number of people to be bullied away from free speech leaving it a white, racist playground. As [MENTION=35904]A1X[/MENTION] correctly points out it's online apartheid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here