Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Marcus Rashford abuse on social media.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No black person, Jew or any other targeted minority deserves online illegal abuse. Whether they have a social conscience, do amazing work for charities, or just look after themselves.

This abuse is coming from ********s across the globe who pathetically can’t take their team losing a game of football. The easy target is the black player.

The social media companies could crush this, with verified accounts, teams checking with algorithms for abuse and instantly deleting abusive accounts.

They won’t because the number of users boost their stock prices on Wall Street and advertising revenue.

D

Deleted member 22389

No black person, Jew or any other targeted minority deserves online illegal abuse. Whether they have a social conscience, do amazing work for charities, or just look after themselves.

This abuse is coming from ********s across the globe who pathetically can’t take their team losing a game of football. The easy target is the black player.

The social media companies could crush this, with verified accounts, teams checking with algorithms for abuse and instantly deleting abusive accounts.

They won’t because the number of users boost their stock prices on Wall Street and advertising revenue.

I was looking at some of the replies in his feed and the nasty ones do look as though they have come from users in other countries.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Good to see one of NSC's premier racists dismiss racism as sticks and stones.

Apparently bringing attention to child hunger and poverty is basically an invitation to be racially abused. He’s not even had an effigy burned for being sent off yet, should consider himself lucky it’s only racism.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
I can’t believe you have actually written this on a public forum. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn’t intend to come across as racist but that’s exactly what you have done.

He shouldn’t have to come off social media or hide what he earns or do anything he doesn’t want to do to avoid racist abuse. It shouldn’t happen, end of. There’s no excuses.

He also shouldnt have to ignore it, and the sticks and stones comment is ignorant in the extreme.

Not often NSC really boils my blood but the casual racism implied in your post has managed it. It sums up every thing that is wrong with how people like him are treated. You need to wake up.

As one of more hysterical posts accusing me of racism on this thread, let’s get your hands off the pearls, dry out your mattress and understand specifically what is happening with Rashford today.

Rashford is evidently being subjected to a lot of comments on social media concerning his performance last night. Some of that is abhorrent racist abuse, some of it abhorrent abuse, some of it sarcastic abuse etc. There is supportive stuff too, just for balance.

If you (and others) are only concerned about the abhorrent racist abuse he is getting then I have no axe to grind that the perpetrators are identified and subject to justice (whatever that means in the local jurisdictions from which the abuser resides). Good luck to whoever is coordinating that analysis, legal assessments and passing the details over for the relevant authorities etc. around the world to pursue, I am sure those authorities have no other competing priorities at the moment.

On the assumption that the above steps are undertaken, that still leaves all the other abhorrent abuse comments and sarcasm comments etc. The global authorities have no reason to go after the perpetrators of this abuse and therefore how should Rashford deal with this abuse?

And I will tell you again, he should a) ignore it.........like ALL the abuse he receives and/or b) come off social media.

Stating this position does not constitute racism, neither does it condone ANY of the abuse.

As this thread proves though, with so many hysterical types on social media these days it’s easy to see how different points of view can drift into abuse.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
1313611.jpg

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Got to admit - maybe I'm positively cynical, but I find it hard to believe there were 70 racial 'slurs' - I'd love to see them.

Based on my hope society isn't that bad, and usually just one racist comment is making the headlines (rightly) - straight away something doesn't add up for me?!

- I'm just being honest with my thoughts, not blinded to it etc etc etc before anyone reads this wrong and decides to have a pop!

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
1) Use the same algorithms they have to remove copyrighted video / music content and apply it to 'words.' Far more difficult to analyse video or music content to check for copyright - than just analysing clear word text.
2) Provide an option for people to provide ID verification like used in the betting or finance industry (KYC based) to 'verify' their accounts, and provide an options from users to ONLY see or receive posts from other verified users.

There you go - 2 ideas for free. But you know why they won't happen? Because they don't have to do it. Disney could and would sue them as a platform if content wasn't removed, but a government isn't going to and probably can't clamp down on them

There’s a few problem with the first option. Firstly, context matters. Black people using the N word is not the same problem as a black person being sent racist abuse. Lyrics, quotes from TV & Film, extracts from famous books etc etc. A blanket ban of the term will raise a whole heap of issues. Whilst the rules around copyright are strictly enforced, it has lead to a host of problems on YouTube for example, where people use the copyright system as a way to silence critics & abuse fair right laws. Any automated system is vulnerable to misuse. The other problem is, of course, that it’s really fücking easy to get around a filter on a website.

The second idea however is exactly what I think needs to be done. Twitter already has a ‘verified’ tab so celebrities with a verified account can choose to only see notifications from other Twitter verified users. Expanding that in to two options - Verified With ID & Verified as a public figure wouldn’t be that difficult and would help solve a lot of the problems.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Got to admit - maybe I'm positively cynical, but I find it hard to believe there were 70 racial 'slurs' - I'd love to see them.

Based on my hope society isn't that bad, and usually just one racist comment is making the headlines (rightly) - straight away something doesn't add up for me?!

- I'm just being honest with my thoughts, not blinded to it etc etc etc before anyone reads this wrong and decides to have a pop!

Are you being honest by insinuating Rashford is dishonest?

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
As one of more hysterical posts accusing me of racism on this thread, let’s get your hands off the pearls, dry out your mattress and understand specifically what is happening with Rashford today.

Rashford is evidently being subjected to a lot of comments on social media concerning his performance last night. Some of that is abhorrent racist abuse, some of it abhorrent abuse, some of it sarcastic abuse etc. There is supportive stuff too, just for balance.

If you (and others) are only concerned about the abhorrent racist abuse he is getting then I have no axe to grind that the perpetrators are identified and subject to justice (whatever that means in the local jurisdictions from which the abuser resides). Good luck to whoever is coordinating that analysis, legal assessments and passing the details over for the relevant authorities etc. around the world to pursue, I am sure those authorities have no other competing priorities at the moment.

On the assumption that the above steps are undertaken, that still leaves all the other abhorrent abuse comments and sarcasm comments etc. The global authorities have no reason to go after the perpetrators of this abuse and therefore how should Rashford deal with this abuse?

And I will tell you again, he should a) ignore it.........like ALL the abuse he receives and/or b) come off social media.

Stating this position does not constitute racism, neither does it condone ANY of the abuse.

As this thread proves though, with so many hysterical types on social media these days it’s easy to see how different points of view can drift into abuse.

So are you sating that two separate comments such as "f@@king unless c@@t" and "f@@king useless N@@@@R" should be frowned up equally?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I don't. Not at all. You don't have to look too far for abuse online in any way shape or form and Rashford's profile and job means he is going to get more than his fair share. I've seen enough screen shots of abuse from people who are way lower profile than him – comments just from one tweet or comment. The trouble with social media is that there is a snowball effect – once one person makes a racist comment (behind the comfort of anonymity a lot of the time), others are emboldened to do the same. It's disgusting.

However, racism isn't going to go away just because you give social media companies more power to 'clamp down' on it. Until you get – or even attempt to get – to the root cause of racism through education, punishment, mediation or whatever, it's never going to go away.

Asking people to just ignore it is just bizarre. How is that doing anything apart from effectively enabling racists to carry on being racist (see the USA after 4+years of Trump).

It's 2021 – there is no reason why anyone should be verbally or physically attacked for their colour of their skin, race, religion, sexuality, football team or any other aspect of their life.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I don't. Not at all. You don't have to look too far for abuse online in any way shape or form and Rashford's profile and job means he is going to get more than his fair share. I've seen enough screen shots of abuse from people who are way lower profile than him – comments just from one tweet or comment. The trouble with social media is that there is a snowball effect – once one person makes a racist comment (behind the comfort of anonymity a lot of the time), others are emboldened to do the same. It's disgusting.

However, racism isn't going to go away just because you give social media companies more power to 'clamp down' on it. Until you get – or even attempt to get – to the root cause of racism through education, punishment, mediation or whatever, it's never going to go away.

Asking people to just ignore it is just bizarre. How is that doing anything apart from effectively enabling racists to carry on being racist (see the USA after 4+years of Trump).

It's 2021 – there is no reason why anyone should be verbally or physically attacked for their colour of their skin, race, religion, sexuality, football team or any other aspect of their life.

Totally agree with all you say. My initial thought is ‘70 - really?!’ - not sure what the slurs range from but assuming it’s true it’s pretty damn sad.

And easy way is for social media co’s to make all accounts ID verified - they won’t cos they’d lose money - simple as that.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

I can only see one hysterical person on this thread so far...essay #4 no doubt on the way...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
There’s a few problem with the first option. Firstly, context matters. Black people using the N word is not the same problem as a black person being sent racist abuse. Lyrics, quotes from TV & Film, extracts from famous books etc etc. A blanket ban of the term will raise a whole heap of issues. Whilst the rules around copyright are strictly enforced, it has lead to a host of problems on YouTube for example, where people use the copyright system as a way to silence critics & abuse fair right laws. Any automated system is vulnerable to misuse. The other problem is, of course, that it’s really fücking easy to get around a filter on a website.

The second idea however is exactly what I think needs to be done. Twitter already has a ‘verified’ tab so celebrities with a verified account can choose to only see notifications from other Twitter verified users. Expanding that in to two options - Verified With ID & Verified as a public figure wouldn’t be that difficult and would help solve a lot of the problems.

You don't need a blanket ban. But technology is sufficient enough to work out context and words used around it whether it is offensive or just using the word. IF you want to bother doing it. The fact they've not even tried, says a huge amount.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

He can and does ignore it most days.You could have ignored the thread, but chose to comment and call him a whining millionaire. Personally, I don't think anyone should have to take racist abuse, and never complain, however rich they are.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

I've seen some of them. None from these shores (not to suggest there weren't). I don't think our society is as bad as the paper's salivation for clickbait has it. They have to sell advertising space though.

That said, it's a pretty rotten thing to have to endure and the social media companies need to be held to account.

I'm sure I read recently about an incident involving someone at Aston Villa who got a barrage of abuse. A quick look showed that it was coming from the Middle-East. But that doesn't suit the media's narrative.

It's a shame, because half truths dilute the real discussion about the issue and give too much leverage to those who want to brush it under the carpet. We have issues of racism that must be dealt with, but most folk are good and play no part.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I replied to a friends private FB post... "(Insert sex here) are stupid, they ask you if you want something from the shop, you say no, but when you psychically try to tell them you've changed your mind and want something they don't come back with it".
That was removed for breaching their guidelines on hate speech! How their algorithms can pick up on something that was clearly a joke, but not blatant racism is beyond me! :down:
Marcus Rashford is a millionaire, yep so what, that doesn't mean he should be subject to abuse and then just have to put up with it, or leave social media. :annoyed: I don't care what country the abuse is coming from. FB should be able to remove it as quickly as they did mine. Mine wasn't even reported by anyone as it was clearly a joke! :shrug:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I replied to a friends private FB post... "(Insert sex here) are stupid, they ask you if you want something from the shop, you say no, but when you psychically try to tell them you've changed your mind and want something they don't come back with it".
That was removed for breaching their guidelines on hate speech! How their algorithms can pick up on something that was clearly a joke, but not blatant racism is beyond me! :down:
Marcus Rashford is a millionaire, yep so what, that doesn't mean he should be subject to abuse and then just have to put up with it, or leave social media. :annoyed: I don't care what country the abuse is coming from. FB should be able to remove it as quickly as they did mine. Mine wasn't even reported by anyone as it was clearly a joke! :shrug:

Or maybe they thought psychic communication wasn't real. Not sure it is the woman's fault if they can't read your mind.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Or maybe they thought psychic communication wasn't real. Not sure it is the woman's fault if they can't read your mind.

Meh, of course psychic communication is real! It is down to their sex that they can't read my mind! ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here