Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Marcus Rashford abuse on social media.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
It's funny how copyright breeches on these social media platforms are delt with so rapidly, yet racism and vile abuse often seems to go unpunished.

A cynic might argue that this is because the law holds the platforms to account for breeches of copyright but not for racism.

If the law was amended this would stop.

A cynic may say there are laws against racist abuse that exist already but are not enforced and maybe copyright is dealt with as there is usually money changing hands in compensation.

I am not saying it is right and I am not saying social media do not have the technology to control block or remove users but so far we have seen little or nothing from those companies to change. It took a riot on the hill in the US for trump to be removed after years of shall we say slightly divisive tweets!

We just had a weekend of social media blackout but not a single response from government or social media companies about what practical changes they will make. This is not about what could be done but when will something be done.

As I said in my original post sadly I think nothing will

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I keep hearing a lot that social media companies can do more, but I don't hear many concrete, workable solutions. I'd be very happy to hear them if you have other ideas

1) Use the same algorithms they have to remove copyrighted video / music content and apply it to 'words.' Far more difficult to analyse video or music content to check for copyright - than just analysing clear word text.
2) Provide an option for people to provide ID verification like used in the betting or finance industry (KYC based) to 'verify' their accounts, and provide an options from users to ONLY see or receive posts from other verified users.

There you go - 2 ideas for free. But you know why they won't happen? Because they don't have to do it. Disney could and would sue them as a platform if content wasn't removed, but a government isn't going to and probably can't clamp down on them

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Broadly speaking.....

1) Ignore it, sticks and stones innit?
2) Come off social media completely, let your football do your talking?

For football players like Rashford that pursue a public image wider than just football, he will have to accept that by entering political territory he is choosing to expose himself to more abuse.

This board is not immune to abuse football related or otherwise, and it’s moderated. Trying to moderate social media GLOBALLY is a fools errand. Rashford should take succour from being able to run down to the cash point to check his balance in his new lambo or whatever...........that got to make him feel better.

Multi millionaires whining about how bad their life is will never be a good look, regardless of how fashionable it is these days.

What a monumentally ****ing stupid post.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
A cynic may say there are laws against racist abuse that exist already but are not enforced and maybe copyright is dealt with as there is usually money changing hands in compensation.

I am not saying it is right and I am not saying social media do not have the technology to control block or remove users but so far we have seen little or nothing from those companies to change. It took a riot on the hill in the US for trump to be removed after years of shall we say slightly divisive tweets!

We just had a weekend of social media blackout but not a single response from government or social media companies about what practical changes they will make. This is not about what could be done but when will something be done.

As I said in my original post sadly I think nothing will

This is the problem.

The issue can be dealt with far easier in local jurisdiction. But social media platforms are international. The abuse I saw hurled at Rashford was not from these shores (not to say there wasn't any from here, I didn't see).

It means that the onus is on the social media companies to take the lead.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
1) Use the same algorithms they have to remove copyrighted video / music content and apply it to 'words.' Far more difficult to analyse video or music content to check for copyright - than just analysing clear word text.
2) Provide an option for people to provide ID verification like used in the betting or finance industry (KYC based) to 'verify' their accounts, and provide an options from users to ONLY see or receive posts from other verified users.

There you go - 2 ideas for free. But you know why they won't happen? Because they don't have to do it. Disney could and would sue them as a platform if content wasn't removed, but a government isn't going to and probably can't clamp down on them

Won't argue for a moment that more shouldn't be done

But I'm pretty sure that filters for those words already exist on those platforms, but you don't need to use those words to create abuse. What they do, as I understand it, is put the abuse in a sentence which is near impossible to filter out using an algorithm

I can't think of any reason not to implement the second one. There would be no way of enforcing people to only view verified material. There's still the problem of abuse from other countries, where they don't care about this sort of thing, but at least you'd be able to show that it originated in that country.

The other possibility is for the government to legislate that it regards the platforms as the publishers meaning they could be prosecuted. Bit of a nuclear option, but i'd like to see it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This is the problem.

The issue can be dealt with far easier in local jurisdiction. But social media platforms are international. The abuse I saw hurled at Rashford was not from these shores (not to say there wasn't any from here, I didn't see).

It means that the onus is on the social media companies to take the lead.

not really valid excuse, the companies own policies are broken so they can and should take immediate action. they can filter and block anti-vax or tag misinformation from presidents, they can block and ban racist posters.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Sadly I cannot see an end to this as the social media companies are not budging on removing anonymity

And they never will, because it suits (e.g.) Twitter much more to say "We have over a billion users!" than it is to say "We actually have about 100m users and loads of them run about 20 different sock accounts which they use simply to hurl abuse at other people without consequence".

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
In Rashford’s case he’s actually a multi-millionaire who spends his time ‘moaning’ and then actually ****ing doing something trying to put right the systemic failures of governments and political systems and shareholders that let children go hungry and foodbank use proliferate by 3900% in a decade. Brain dead racist *****.

The comment in your last sentence is delicious isn’t it? Proof that some people just can’t play nicely online. Abuse like that is literally the lifeblood that is constantly being pumped around the beating heart that is social media. The harsh truth is many people simply get off on it.

To your other point though, I don’t buy what Saint Marcus is selling. Poor kids overall are not living in Dickensian squalor without food, it’s the opposite they are fat, and statistically they are getting fatter. Much fatter than the rich kids.

https://www.gov.uk/government/stati...ens-bmi-between-2006-to-2007-and-2019-to-2020

Obese and overweight kids are frankly a much bigger societal problem than hungry kids, albeit I can the link between the 2. Statistically speaking Rashford is an enabler.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
The business model for social media companies is user numbers equal advertising revenue so the more users you have the more money you can make. There is no incentive to restrict the number of users to real human beings, let alone to real and decent human beings since there are many advertisers happy to spend money on these virtual cesspools. However the weakness of social media companies is that they are at the mercy of fashion, just ask the people at MySpace, so if enough people decided to switch to a platform that enforced ID validation the trolls would find it much harder to hide. The difficulty is making a platform to do identification effectively whilst also making it the cool place to be and stopping any existing global powerhouse from buying/destroying it.

There are many more considerations to make this utopian dream reality: how to combat public shaming, what to do about the less democratic governments of the world, the right to be forgotten, etc. are just a few.

Anyway if someone is making this happen, could they DM me the company name so I can get in early on the stock options...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The comment in your last sentence is delicious isn’t it? Proof that some people just can’t play nicely online. Abuse like that is literally the lifeblood that is constantly being pumped around the beating heart that is social media. The harsh truth is many people simply get off on it.

To your other point though, I don’t buy what Saint Marcus is selling. Poor kids overall are not living in Dickensian squalor without food, it’s the opposite they are fat, and statistically they are getting fatter. Much fatter than the rich kids.

https://www.gov.uk/government/stati...ens-bmi-between-2006-to-2007-and-2019-to-2020

Obese and overweight kids are frankly a much bigger societal problem than hungry kids, albeit I can the link between the 2. Statistically speaking Rashford is an enabler.

You seem to post some deliberately obtuse things... but wasn't Rashfords campaign about extending free lunches to kids in half terms / school holidays? Parents who rely on schools / local authorities to feed their kids during lunch at school, not being able to sufficiently feed their kids when not in school?

And being fat does not mean being well fed. It means they are being poorly fed in terms of nutrition

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Broadly speaking.....

2) Come off social media completely, let your football do your talking? No

For football players like Rashford that pursue a public image wider than just football, he will have to accept that by entering political territory he is choosing to expose himself to more abuse.

This board is not immune to abuse football related or otherwise, and it’s moderated. Trying to moderate social media GLOBALLY is a fools errand. Rashford should take succour from being able to run down to the cash point to check his balance in his new lambo or whatever...........that got to make him feel better.

Multi millionaires whining about how bad their life is will never be a good look, regardless of how fashionable it is these days.

I can’t believe you have actually written this on a public forum. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn’t intend to come across as racist but that’s exactly what you have done.

He shouldn’t have to come off social media or hide what he earns or do anything he doesn’t want to do to avoid racist abuse. It shouldn’t happen, end of. There’s no excuses.

He also shouldnt have to ignore it, and the sticks and stones comment is ignorant in the extreme.

Not often NSC really boils my blood but the casual racism implied in your post has managed it. It sums up every thing that is wrong with how people like him are treated. You need to wake up.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
He said that someone who sent him monkey emojis in a DM is (soon to be was I expect) a Maths teacher. He could see as they have an open profile. Its worrying that someone like that is in charge of teaching children.

Hopefully he will be out of a job soon. As an aside I was having a drink in the Frankie & Bennys outside of Derby's ground before the the play off game and there was a group of 15 or so 11/12 years olds from a youth football team having a meal with a couple of coaches. There were a load of our fans outside having a drink and one of the coaches was encouraging the kids to do the usual homophobic gestures at them through the window and having a right laugh about it. When challenged he said they were doing nothing wrong. Sadly these sort of people get in to positions of trust.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Will this ever end? no matter how many times people call it out and we all nod and say that this is unacceptable in modern society and that something must be done and.... It just happens again and again.....Kick it Out and BLM just does not stop it.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Broadly speaking.....

Why will he have to accept that? Why should people send him racist abuse? In what situation is that ever acceptable?

SEWDONIM

Dec 14, 2020
Broadly speaking.....

Yeah, absolutely - a player is inviting racial abuse. Attitudes like yours, are exactly the problem. I bet you'd be in absolute tears if anyone ripped into you, but thankfully, you're behind a keyboard.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You seem to post some deliberately obtuse things... but wasn't Rashfords campaign about extending free lunches to kids in half terms / school holidays? Parents who rely on schools / local authorities to feed their kids during lunch at school, not being able to sufficiently feed their kids when not in school?

And being fat does not mean being well fed. It means they are being poorly fed in terms of nutrition

He is also running a reading and literacy campaign with WH Smith.

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-05-16...iteracy-trust-launch-child-reading-initiative

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here