Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Marcus Rashford abuse on social media.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Will this ever end? no matter how many times people call it out and we all nod and say that this is unacceptable in modern society and that something must be done and.... It just happens again and again.....Kick it Out and BLM just does not stop it.

Its should be online abuse full stop.

I actually wonder how much is driven by betting. Much like Connelly's miss v Spurs and the abuse he received for that, much of which if I remember rightly came from foreign betting circles. I guess much of Rashford's abuse was as a result in him missing a sitter which would have won the +2.5 in play betting market which I expect millions of £/$ was sitting on after Utd scored the equaliser and were in the ascendancy.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
One of the main problems (apart of course from the scum who get a kick out of this stuff) is the lack of contact available to these big media platform firms (and a lot of other firms now). They don't want to spend money paying people to answer the phone, so trying to find a phone number on their websites is like a super difficult 'Where's Wally' puzzle. And even if you do find a phone number, the minute you ring it they will suddenly be deluged by an unprecedented volume of calls ....................... yeh, right.

If something nasty appears in your mailbox or wherever, you should be able to phone an operator who can remove it, track the sender and close their account - easy, but you just can't do it; they don't want to spend the money on staff. My Facebook account was hacked by some Chinese or Japanese c**t, the whole thing converted to a far east language. I complained to Facebook (electronically, of course, no other access available). They took down my Facebook page for 'unsuitable content' and sent an automated response saying they would contact me (by email, I think they said). Guess what? They never did.

Hope Rashford does manage to get them to get off their arses and do something.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Broadly speaking.....

1) Ignore it, sticks and stones innit?
2) Come off social media completely, let your football do your talking?

For football players like Rashford that pursue a public image wider than just football, he will have to accept that by entering political territory he is choosing to expose himself to more abuse.

This board is not immune to abuse football related or otherwise, and it’s moderated. Trying to moderate social media GLOBALLY is a fools errand. Rashford should take succour from being able to run down to the cash point to check his balance in his new lambo or whatever...........that got to make him feel better.

Multi millionaires whining about how bad their life is will never be a good look, regardless of how fashionable it is these days.

Wow. Just ****ing wow...

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
In Rashford’s case he’s actually a multi-millionaire who spends his time ‘moaning’ and then actually ****ing doing something trying to put right the systemic failures of governments and political systems and shareholders that let children go hungry and foodbank use proliferate by 3900% in a decade. Brain dead racist *****.

This

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
And another thing, I have just had a look on my phone, why the **** are there 5 monkey emojis available to send through social media, surely step one could be if apple and who control the android platform, were to delate these to start with.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
1) Use the same algorithms they have to remove copyrighted video / music content and apply it to 'words.' Far more difficult to analyse video or music content to check for copyright - than just analysing clear word text.
2) Provide an option for people to provide ID verification like used in the betting or finance industry (KYC based) to 'verify' their accounts, and provide an options from users to ONLY see or receive posts from other verified users.

There you go - 2 ideas for free. But you know why they won't happen? Because they don't have to do it. Disney could and would sue them as a platform if content wasn't removed, but a government isn't going to and probably can't clamp down on them

Number 2 looks like a very good idea to me. :thumbsup:

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
A cynic may say there are laws against racist abuse that exist already but are not enforced and maybe copyright is dealt with as there is usually money changing hands in compensation.

I am not saying it is right and I am not saying social media do not have the technology to control block or remove users but so far we have seen little or nothing from those companies to change. It took a riot on the hill in the US for trump to be removed after years of shall we say slightly divisive tweets!

We just had a weekend of social media blackout but not a single response from government or social media companies about what practical changes they will make. This is not about what could be done but when will something be done.

As I said in my original post sadly I think nothing will

Its quite telling how former deputy prime minister Nick Clegg is now a mouth piece for Facebook.

The social media moguls are the modern equivalent of newspaper magnates, and the politicians don't want to rock the boat because they need their approval.

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
Broadly speaking.....

For football players like Rashford that pursue a public image wider than just football, he will have to accept that by entering political territory he is choosing to expose himself to more abuse.

This board is not immune to abuse football related or otherwise, and it’s moderated. Trying to moderate social media GLOBALLY is a fools errand. Rashford should take succour from being able to run down to the cash point to check his balance in his new lambo or whatever...........that got to make him feel better.

Multi millionaires whining about how bad their life is will never be a good look, regardless of how fashionable it is these days.

Wow, you sound like you have no issues with people receiving abuse because of their skin colour!
I think you need some education!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You seem to post some deliberately obtuse things... but wasn't Rashfords campaign about extending free lunches to kids in half terms / school holidays? Parents who rely on schools / local authorities to feed their kids during lunch at school, not being able to sufficiently feed their kids when not in school?

And being fat does not mean being well fed. It means they are being poorly fed in terms of nutrition

I think it is attention-seeking. (Cunning (sic) Fergus not Rashford).

I can't think of any other reasonable explanation for such a moronically illogical and idiotic post.

The only people that could makes sense of such nonsense are the morons that are abusing Rashford in the first place. They are all part of the problem.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
In Rashford’s case he’s actually a multi-millionaire who spends his time ‘moaning’ and then actually ****ing doing something trying to put right the systemic failures of governments and political systems and shareholders that let children go hungry and foodbank use proliferate by 3900% in a decade. Brain dead racist *****.

Very well put.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
That post is pretty much how I would define white privilege from someone who clearly has never had to deal with racist abuse and broadly speaking has absolutely no clue what that experience must be like.

Its not stick and stones, and has f*ck all to do with being in the political arena. It racist abuse, which is a scurge in our society. You clearly don't realise this, and by trivialising it in the way that you have there and saying it's just something he will have to accept because of HIS actions, YOU are well and truly part of the broader problem.

Brilliant post, very well said.

I'm so pleased to see this so soon after that ignorant and clueless post that unbelievably has been liked by 3 people.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
The comment in your last sentence is delicious isn’t it? Proof that some people just can’t play nicely online. Abuse like that is literally the lifeblood that is constantly being pumped around the beating heart that is social media. The harsh truth is many people simply get off on it.

To your other point though, I don’t buy what Saint Marcus is selling. Poor kids overall are not living in Dickensian squalor without food, it’s the opposite they are fat, and statistically they are getting fatter. Much fatter than the rich kids.

https://www.gov.uk/government/stati...ens-bmi-between-2006-to-2007-and-2019-to-2020

Obese and overweight kids are frankly a much bigger societal problem than hungry kids, albeit I can the link between the 2. Statistically speaking Rashford is an enabler.

Cannot agree more with you about high fat salt and sugar foods (I have been professionally at the centre of this debate in a previous life) but it’s also very much proven that living poverty, enormous food manufacturing marketing budgets and poor nutritional education drives people to consume shit processed food. And Rashford and his advisers at least called out piss-poor quantities and types of foods in school meal packs. As always these are multifaceted problems that need competent and driven stakeholders to overcome them.

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
- I miss the days when computers / the Internet were too complicated for retards to use. Multimillionaire or whatever, Rashford has done more for society in his short career than most of us will achieve in a lifetime. There are a lot of people out there who live for the dopamine hit that controversiality on social media will give them - we are about to have an entire generation become adults whom never knew the world before Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, Snapchat etc - I’m technically a Millennial by age but Jesus will our generation have a lot to answer to in about 30 years time

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
You can't put the genie back in the bottle. As soon as the Internet became widely available it meant every Tom, Dick and Harry were able to post their comments and opinions on every topic under the sun (all fine and dandy) but it also meant that they could post abusive and racist comments and threats (definitely not fine and dandy)

There is no easy solution. You can hope things improve (unlikely given human nature), you can decide to shut down your account were the problem is (why should you in a democracy where you have free speech), you can fight back (but this can get very emotionally draining after a while) or you can hope the powers that be can use the tech available to reduce if not eliminate the problem

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

find the tweeter , take his phone of him , shove it up his arse ....300 hours community service , if they have it in Bangladesh , Lithuania, Caracus......this is a problem made by technology , it gives brain dead , numb skulls a window into the first world where the millennials are living .......really..!! to put into words and post on a global forum your racist rantings has to be worth a massive slap round the head .

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Marcus Rashford for me is one of the greatest role models we have in modern society - yes he a multi-millionaire, yes he plays for Man Utd, yes I bet he will get it wrong sometime but he stands for something and he keeps going for it. Might be the first footballer who actually deserves a knighthood in the future. No way should he have to accept racist abuse (nor should any other human being)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It should probably be noted that this isn't about special treatment for Rashford. This is about a cultural change that needs to happen on social media platforms to protect all minorities, races, etc that are impacted by this behaviour. Sure, Rashford could just disengage and focus on his football. But that doesn't protect the average everyday social media user who is black, or asian, or latin, or gay, or trans or whatever. The higher profile accounts calling on action improve the experience for everyone.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Broadly speaking.....

would you say that to his face publicly?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here