Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Press are universally pissing me off this morning - every news channel (BBC, Sky, ITV at least) seem to be pulling in every single doom-monger/naysayer and (potentially) negative piece of info in relation to the vaccine. I completely get the need for caution but it's just incessant..............

ironic because the news headlines are building up the Pfizer report out of perspective, and confounding it with other vaccine progress. they splash a big positive news, then have people with caution. tomorrow they'll run a story about the public being confused.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Wales cancel 2021 school exams

Rightly so imo. This should be done in England too.

My son is in Year 11 and has today been sent home for 2 weeks as a pupil in his class has tested positive. That's another 2 weeks proper teaching that he will lose. We had a virtual parent teacher evening last week and they are having classroom based mock GCSE's in 2 weeks time which is mainly being done to ascertain where each pupil is in each subject and identify which areas they need help with etc because of the months missed in lockdown 1. This years Year 11's education has been interrupted much more that last years Years 11's and to continue with exams as the sole way of getting a GCSE grade this year is extremely unfair.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
My 6 year old’s class couldn’t go to school on Monday as their teacher tested positive over the weekend.

Half the class including my boy developed symptoms on Monday and all got tested on Monday afternoon but most still waiting for results and we’re all obviously isolating. One girl in the class has had hers back and it was positive.

The kids are all better now but parents are starting to feel unwell including my other half. Another member of staff and child in another year have confirmed positive tests in the school today so it’s looking likely unfortunately.

Over 54 hours waiting for the result now does seem a long time. Can only assume with rising cases around here they’re inundated.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
My 6 year old’s class couldn’t go to school on Monday as their teacher tested positive over the weekend.

Half the class including my boy developed symptoms on Monday and all got tested on Monday afternoon but most still waiting for results and we’re all obviously isolating. One girl in the class has had hers back and it was positive.

The kids are all better now but parents are starting to feel unwell including my other half. Another member of staff and child in another year have confirmed positive tests in the school today so it’s looking likely unfortunately.

Over 54 hours waiting for the result now does seem a long time. Can only assume with rising cases around here they’re inundated.

Fingers crossed you're all okay FS.

2 of my kids tested positive on Friday, result came back 10pm Saturday night. Me, the wife and youngest got tested Sunday morning, results came back Tuesday lunchtime. We all tested positive.

So far, kids have been mainly asymptomatic with a change in smell rather than complete loss. Youngest seems to be asymptomatic. I felt unwell last week, but not anything listed in the Covid symptoms. No temperature, cough or taste or smell loss. I ached across my back, and had a day laid out on the sofa, cold sweats in the evening but that was about it. Wife is a little up and down, she's needing a day in bed, but would still only describe our symptoms as mild really.

The worse thing has been track and trace. Me and the wife have literally had 2 or 3 calls per day as they don't link up the dots. So for each of our children, we've had a call as a contact of someone with Covid - even though we've tested positive, the system doesn't link it altogether. You then have to explain you've already been through exactly what the caller is phoning you for. Been very polite as they're doing their best, but the system is clearly struggling.

Last edited:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

2 of my kids tested positive on Friday, result came back 10pm Saturday night. Me, the wife and youngest got tested Sunday morning, results came back Tuesday lunchtime. We all tested positive.

So far, kids have been mainly asymptomatic with a change in smell rather than complete loss. Youngest seems to be asymptomatic. I felt unwell last week, but not anything listed in the Covid symptoms. No temperature, cough or taste or smell loss. I ached across my back, and had a day laid out on the sofa, cold sweats in the evening but that was about it. Wife is a little up and down, she's needing a day in bed, but would still only describe our symptoms as mild really.

The worse thing has been track and trace. Me and the wife have literally had 2 or 3 calls per day as they don't link up the dots. So for each of our children, we've had a call as a contact of someone with Covid - even though we've tested positive, the system doesn't link it altogether. You then have to explain you've already been through exactly what the caller is phoning you for. Been very polite as they're doing their best, but the system is clearly struggling.

Hope all goes well for you and the family.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
33,470 new cases today, up 45.8% on yesterday. Cripes. As far as I can tell there is no obvious mitigating reason for such a large rise, such as the inclusion of data from previous days or the inclusion of the mass-testing program underway in Liverpool. The popular school of thought seems to be that it could be due to an increase in mixing in the days running up to lockdown 2.0, but we'll need a few more days' data to form a reasonable conclusion.

My concern with this lockdown lite was always that it came too late, and isn't stringent enough to make a meaningful difference, quickly enough. If this doesn't turn out to be a freak anomaly, it's difficult to see the country being in a demonstrably better position come 5th December. If we find ourselves in a position where NHS overload simply forces the nation into stricter measures more akin to the original lockdown, that's going to be very, very unpopular. I'd like to hope that won't happen, but I find it hard to rule out as a possibility.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1326960518901469184[/TWEET]

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Good time to shoehorn a bit more Brexit scaremongering. :facepalm:

Not really scaremongering when the Government themselves admitted yesterday it might impact it.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Interesting analysis.
df6a46c9234b51d635b9d0660598ce10.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Her conclusion

is misleading. the euromomo shows there is increased excess deaths, albeit lower than spring. still, showing a graph that hides this discredits the analysis.

for sure deserves some proper in depth analysis, not some gifs on twitter.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Interesting analysis.
df6a46c9234b51d635b9d0660598ce10.jpg

Did you have withdrawal symptoms, or did it just take you a bit of time to find someone who was going to help with your confirmation bias.

I have said it before, there will always be those, even those between jobs, in the medical profession, who want their 15 minutes of fame by going against the grain... It gives them air time and puts their name and face out there!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

How you guys doing now Bold Seagull?

We finally got my son’s result back this morning - 4 days later - and it was positive. He was unwell and had a high temperature Monday but has been absolutey fine since, same as all his classmates. My youngest hasn’t had any symptoms yet. Other half been quite unwell last couple of days but seems a little better today, her test kit due to arrive today.

I started getting symptoms last night, coughing and temperature. Really achy today with a banging headache, my test kit arrives tomorrow.

Think the school are going to have to close though, it’s spread like wildfire throughout all the pupils, staff and now parents. They keep having to send classes home.

Does make you question the point in this ‘lockdown’ whilst the schools remain open and clearly are spreading the virus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports