Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don’t necessarily agree with your general opinion on Covid and what to do about it - I do believe that this lockdown is now necessary albeit too late. Smaller, less economically devastating steps should’ve been taken earlier when we had more control over infections, but hey ho.

However, I think the presentation of data has at times been misleading. This article reinforces that point quite well:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54831334

The doomsday prediction of 4,000 daily deaths seems fanciful given the US, their 320m odd population and woeful mismanagement of the situation have peaked at around half that.

All being well, soon will come the time when we are ready to start vaccinating people and trust in the government will be paramount in ensuring people feel comfortable in receiving it. We started from a pretty low base on that front, and are rapidly pissing away what little we had.

On that count, absolutely, I share your frustration.

The BBC have not updated its cases, deaths etc site today. What's going on ? ???

out of date.PNG

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I dont believe it is anywhere near as bad as being presented.

Extraordinary statement. Tell me more.

On the other hand.....hang on....oh yes! You know nothing. Innit. :facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The ex senior biomedical officer for public health Uk claims that covid is less harmful now, that influenza vaccine makes covid symptoms worse, and explains why mask wearing is probably doing more harm than good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nEFXRnDCYkc

And for an encore, he went on to explain how to lose weight by eating more, what the answer is to the question of life, the universe and everything, and when Ulloa's penalty ball will re-enter earth's orbit.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I posted this in the wrong thread but I'll post it here as well as I could imagine some people might be curious about "whats up in Sweden":

Might be going into something similar to a lockdown over here. We'll see over the next week.

The positive side: the herd immunity concept seems to be working as things are still pretty calm in Stockholm (that for various reasons normally should be in a really bad spot), and they were far worse off than the rest of the country this spring. If any of you believe that you've had the virus and worry about getting it again, perhaps this could invoke some positive emotions.

The negative side: Sweden is pretty "capital biased". I dont know for sure but I would imagine Stockholm gets more attention and resources compared to the rest of the country than what would be the average in Europe. This means that the previous non-lockdown strategy turns quite dangerous as in some regions, the healthcare system can not deal with the type of spikes seen in Stockholm this spring.

So far its no disaster, the number of ICU spots occupied by covid patients is still around 1/5 (meaning ca 100 people) of what it was in March/April, but the development is worrying.

Personally I hope the government and Anders Tegnell stays strong in this and avoid lockdown, but introduce a new set of harsher restrictions. There's additional measures that can be done without disrupting too much of society.

Although not at any cost. Things could get to a level where a lockdown is required. I dont know if this is well-known outside of Sweden despite all the talk about our strategy, but Tegnell from the get-go said that there could be a lockdown in Sweden.

The main difference in the Tegnell vs Other countries attitude to lockdown is that: you can do it once. Repeated lockdowns or going in and out of lockdowns would, according to Tegnell, probably make it inefficient, as people and businesses would get too relaxed about the concept and possibly create counterproductive effects.

You could say he saved the lockdown for a rainy day, and its possible the rainy day is not that far away. We're joining the international community.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Press are universally pissing me off this morning - every news channel (BBC, Sky, ITV at least) seem to be pulling in every single doom-monger/naysayer and (potentially) negative piece of info in relation to the vaccine. I completely get the need for caution but it's just incessant..............

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Press are universally pissing me off this morning - every news channel (BBC, Sky, ITV at least) seem to be pulling in every single doom-monger/naysayer and (potentially) negative piece of info in relation to the vaccine. I completely get the need for caution but it's just incessant..............

I have seen and heard some of those myself this morning - but I am taking a more pragmatic view, that these people are being deliberately wheeled out to try and prevent the idiots from thinking it's all over, when clearly it isn't...

We still need to be vigilant, if not even more so, to make sure that as many people as possible actually live to be given the vaccine...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I have seen and heard some of those myself this morning - but I am taking a more pragmatic view, that these people are being deliberately wheeled out to try and prevent the idiots from thinking it's all over, when clearly it isn't...

We still need to be vigilant, if not even more so, to make sure that as many people as possible actually live to be given the vaccine...

I think there's an element of that for sure....

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Aye..but then personally i gave up on mainstream media in back in March.

You can look it another way ....by giving people hope and some sort of ‘end’ it will encourage the majority to hang on in there etc ....fine line an all that

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here