Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
its only scandalous if there is a significant net rise in death as a consequence. as it is, instead of sending elderly in final hours off to hospital, given treatment "make them more comfortable", they are staying at home.

I’m sorry but you don’t know that, nobody does. And even if that was true, that’s barbaric, having seen end of life care with my own eyes it’s absolutely vital in many for a dignified death.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
France reported over 800 deaths today, the highest since April and still rising

Go back just 6-7 weeks and many were pointing at low death rates in France and saying no need to act because deaths were staying low even as cases rose. In response it was pointed out that there was likely to be a much longer time lag now than there was in April, so we could expect deaths to start rising a few weeks down the line.

And so it has proved.France refused to lock down when it should and is paying a price - far more deaths than needed and probably a longer, harder lockdown than needed. And a lot of people (non-covid) not getting treatment they need.

I only say this, and bounce the post below as I am seeing people now implying that we shouldn't be locking down while the hospitals are not yet full. Well, they will be by Christmas if we did nothing.

This lockdown will allow us to get on top of it again (assuming we don;t F*ck it up AGAIN) and once it is under control, with mass testing rolling out and potentially vaccines in the pipeline we will be in a position to get back to something closer to normal far quicker than if we let it keep running.

Let’s see where it goes. Trend still looks like big increases in cases not correlating with new deaths. Reports stating hospital submissions miles below where they were in April.

85538e40d2921ae1150ce9f00568eab6.jpg

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
France reported over 800 deaths today, the highest since April and still rising

Go back just 6-7 weeks and many were pointing at low death rates in France and saying no need to act because deaths were staying low even as cases rose. In response it was pointed out that there was likely to be a much longer time lag now than there was in April, so we could expect deaths to start rising a few weeks down the line.

And so it has proved.France refused to lock down when it should and is paying a price - far more deaths than needed and probably a longer, harder lockdown than needed. And a lot of people (non-covid) not getting treatment they need.

I only say this, and bounce the post below as I am seeing people now implying that we shouldn't be locking down while the hospitals are not yet full. Well, they will be by Christmas if we did nothing.

This lockdown will allow us to get on top of it again (assuming we don;t F*ck it up AGAIN) and once it is under control, with mass testing rolling out and potentially vaccines in the pipeline we will be in a position to get back to something closer to normal far quicker than if we let it keep running.

You do realise that if the figures don’t peak, because of the current restrictions, the naysayers will say “told you it wasn’t as bad as they (government/scientists) said”!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
The ex senior biomedical officer for public health Uk claims that covid is less harmful now, that influenza vaccine makes covid symptoms worse, and explains why mask wearing is probably doing more harm than good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nEFXRnDCYkc

You seem to find a lot of “ex” employees to quote, maybe there is a reason why they are “ex”...

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/no-evidence-that-flu-shot-increases-risk-of-covid-19/

Or

https://www.mdanderson.org/cancerwise/should-you-get-the-flu-vaccine-during-coronavirus-covid-19-pandemic.h00-159384312.html

Or

https://www.brightonandhoveccg.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2020/09/Flu-FAQ-and-COVID-19-Sussex-CCGs-23.09.20.pdf

I could go on, but won’t...

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

No offence but I personally trust the views of a qualified SENIOR biomedical officer for Public Health UK over an article backed by a lowly Medical Doctor. You are of course free to believe whatever you wish.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No offence but I personally trust the views of a qualified SENIOR biomedical officer for Public Health UK over an article backed by a lowly Medical Doctor. You are of course free to believe whatever you wish.

im sure its not important, but there isnt actually a "Public Health UK".

the nextstrain site is brilliant though showing the spread of the virus. its a shame Mr Hutchinson uses it to make assertions it doesnt support.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Trouble is you have now changed your tac. You have finished posting the “second wave is a scam” type posts and have now latched onto something else.

Do you spend all day looking for these alternative view posts, just so you can “inform and educate” all us ignorant people...

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Trouble is you have now changed your tac. You have finished posting the “second wave is a scam” type posts and have now latched onto something else.

Do you spend all day looking for these alternative view posts, just so you can “inform and educate” all us ignorant people...
I haven't changed any tac at all.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I dont believe it is anywhere near as bad as being presented.

I don’t necessarily agree with your general opinion on Covid and what to do about it - I do believe that this lockdown is now necessary albeit too late. Smaller, less economically devastating steps should’ve been taken earlier when we had more control over infections, but hey ho.

However, I think the presentation of data has at times been misleading. This article reinforces that point quite well:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54831334

The doomsday prediction of 4,000 daily deaths seems fanciful given the US, their 320m odd population and woeful mismanagement of the situation have peaked at around half that.

All being well, soon will come the time when we are ready to start vaccinating people and trust in the government will be paramount in ensuring people feel comfortable in receiving it. We started from a pretty low base on that front, and are rapidly pissing away what little we had.

On that count, absolutely, I share your frustration.

Last edited:

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
On the subject of a vaccine, this development is, erm, interesting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54833459

I don’t know how many Danish mink farmers are embarking on international holidays right now but regardless this is a concerning twist of events. And this is mink. Dispensable animals in the big scheme of things (don’t tell any animal right activists that I said that).

If dangerous mutations start happening in animals more central to food consumption, well, we might all becoming vegans sooner than we thought...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here