liz costa comments on the radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
El Presidente said:
Jumpers for goalposts anyone?

That's taking it too far! If that were the case I'd be watching Burgess Hill :glare:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It depends...
- do you have a (very very very) rich chairman & board able and prepared to pay premiership prices for premiership players (including vastly inflated wage bills)?
- do you have the fan base (c30k regularly every week) plus world wide TV appeal?
- do you have a stadium sufficient to hold the fan base?
- do you have the marketing skills to exploit the fan base?
- can you sustain the premiership for more than 1 or 2 seasons or are you content for 1 season of "glory" (although "glory" is a relative term if you are going to spend the entire season at the bottom being potentially thrashed by more established teams)?

The premiership is not just about playing the best football in the country but equallyif not more about size and money.

Look at example of Leeds - overstretched themselves in premiership, now struggling to stay just above our level. Also anyone fancy ending up as the next MK Dons :censored: All the other clubs who had brief moments in top flight now nowhere - Swansea, Oxford, Northampton

Admittedly I would much prefer to see us way above where we are now, but without a complete transformation we are never likely to be more than a respectable championship side - although it can happen.... Wigan using to play in a slum, Reading nearly got merged with Oxford under Maxwell, Blackburn before Jack Walker. Most of the rest were basket cases at some point not that long ago, even Chelsea...

Rather than dream about Premiership after 1 win, what about making sure we stay where we are first, then work for promotion, then you can dream........

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Dave the Gaffer said:
hang on no i bloody well didnt.

i said if she doesnt want premiership football, then why waste 50 million on a stadium that we dont need if a senior memebr of the supporters club isa happy for second and third division football which we dont need 25,000 for

dont try to twist my words

I haven't heard the comments so it would be wrong for me to comment on them.

However, in my opinion, you want to see your club playing and COMPETING at the highest level.

There are very few clubs who COMPETE in the premiership. Whilst it would be great to play there, I hope WHEN it does happen that we dont sell our soul.

As for the basically ridiculous comment that if we dont need a stadium if we dont want to play in the premiership - how's this for some logical responses:

1) we need a stadium to survive
2) the capacity will make it the 32nd biggest league ground in the country (of all those built and planned) so it hardly is reliant on the premiership). that would put us mid table in the championship.

I think there needs to be some engaging brain before starting to type required.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Id love to see Brighton play in the Premiership, and i reckon we could 30,000 nearly every week if we did.

It would certanly stop all those kids walking around in Chelski/man u/arsenal shirts all the bloody time!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
ali jenkins said:
Ha Ha

and even if we only had a 22k seater i still think we could fill 30,000 nearly every week if we had the seats!

I think our highest ever gate at the Goldstone was 30K just once or twice when we were in the top flight.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
ROSM said:
in my opinion, you want to see your club playing and COMPETING at the highest level.

There are very few clubs who COMPETE in the premiership. Whilst it would be great to play there, I hope WHEN it does happen that we dont sell our soul.

As

Isn't that the whole point of sport? To push yourself and aim to compete at as high a level as you possibly can? Bit of a waste of time if the club doesn't have that ambition. I believe they do have it. Unlike some members of the Supporters Club apparently.

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The Large One said:
We never did have a 30,000 gate in the old First Division.

We got 30,000+ at the Goldstone about half a dozen times.

I bow to your superior memory.
:bowdown:

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
If the players are happy to settle for a mid-table league 1 finish then i dont want them playing for MY team!

No matter what league you play in the aim is to be the best in that league.

Ok you could be realistic and say teams like Rotherham for example who were -10 at the start of the season could be aiming for survival but i bet they dont stop playing once there safe.

The idea of playing competitive sport is to WIN and by winning you get PROMOTED and that will eventually lead you to being the BEST in the country!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
ali jenkins said:
Hows the post Burglery clear up/business going TLO?
All fine, thanks. Just waiting for the usual horseshit from the insurance company. Business isn't too bad righht now.

Right now though, I'm more concerned about Yorkie thinking I have a superior memory when in fact I only have a superior book to hand - Tim Carder's History of the Albion book thing.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Large One said:
Right now though, I'm more concerned about Yorkie thinking I have a superior memory when in fact I only have a superior book to hand - Tim Carder's History of the Albion book thing.

Gotta admit I'm in awe of Harty's apparently photographic memory of every Albion game in the past quarter century. I have trouble remembering who we played last week.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The Large One said:

That's cheating :lolol: :lolol:

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
The Large One said:
All fine, thanks. Just waiting for the usual horseshit from the insurance company. Business isn't too bad righht now.

seeing as you work in a shop that sells said book (think i saw it) i would assume that you did have the book to hand, rather than memorising the attendances of over 100 years ago!

Edit: Glad to hear things are going ok.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
ROSM said:

I think there needs to be some engaging brain before starting to type required.

Nice one ade

I really really love you mate

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here