liz costa comments on the radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Tom Hark said:
Isn't that the whole point of sport? To push yourself and aim to compete at as high a level as you possibly can? Bit of a waste of time if the club doesn't have that ambition. I believe they do have it. Unlike some members of the Supporters Club apparently.

That's the problem with taking one sentence out of an interview out of context.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
what about the sentance about not wanting the DK to sell out to a "foreignor"

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Dave the Gaffer said:
what about the sentance about not wanting the DK to sell out to a "foreignor"

No, about the Premiership.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yorkie said:
Xenophobic Al.

Interesting point...although there is a fine line between the two.

I am sure the Pompey fans listening would have pissed themselves laughing at her " Xenophobia"

And Villa fans, and ManU fans, and Chelsea fans...you could go on.

But so poor little Brighton this huge huge sleeping giant on the south coast 50 miles away from any other team doesnt want "foreign " owners because we will lose our soul?

Well I say stuff that...I would have anyone in who wants to invest money and give us the best players he/she can afford.

Anyway, the two people most responsible for our current predicament were both English the last time I looked, Stanley and Archer.

I just thought what she said was churlish and unwarranted

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Dave the Gaffer said:
But so poor little Brighton this huge huge sleeping giant on the south coast 50 miles away from any other team doesnt want "foreign " owners because we will lose our soul?

Thought Ricardo Knight lived in Spain anyway? :lol:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Tom Hark said:
Thought Ricardo Knight lived in Spain anyway? :lol:

tsk tsk.

You will be mauled for saying that on here

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Dave the Gaffer said:
Interesting point...although there is a fine line between the two.
Actually I was being unnecessarily childish and sarcastic.

I think what Liz means is that she doesn't want a 'foreigner', by which she means an 'outsider' who doesn't support the club with his heart and soul, and who only has the interest of his pocket to consider.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
As soon as Falmer is built the dynamics of the club will change forever like it or not.

All the community business will disappear if we have large crowds.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The Large One said:
Actually I was being unnecessarily childish and sarcastic.

I think what Liz means is that she doesn't want a 'foreigner', by which she means an 'outsider' who doesn't support the club with his heart and soul, and who only has the interest of his pocket to consider.

dont give a stuff really. What about an "englisher" who didnt support the club with his heart and soul and who only had the interest of his pocket to consider?

and whist we are at this, I have supported albion since 1975 ish, and I had never heard of Dick Knight or Martin Perry until the sale of the Goldstone - certainy Perry was only known as someone who built Huddersfield and was there when Blackpool went tits

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Beach Hut said:
As soon as Falmer is built the dynamics of the club will change forever like it or not.

That's probably a little bit of a generalisation.

It MIGHT be the case should we get into the Premiership and start getting obscene amounts of money in. Until then, I think the club will still nurture its ties with the community.

I suspect you're concerned the Albion would become this huge over-glutinous, fat-cat bastard corporate machine if this were ever to happen. Personally, I think the fans will still retain enough power to ensure that doesn't happen.

At least, I bloody well hope so.

I guess it depends on who takes over from Dick when he retires.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Dave the Gaffer said:
dont give a stuff really. What about an "englisher" who didnt support the club with his heart and soul and who only had the interest of his pocket to consider?
She was thinking of the Abramovich / Mandarci scenarios. In other words, people taking the power and influence away from the fans - or more particularly in this instance, from the Supporters' Club.

Dave the Gaffer said:
and whist we are at this, I have supported albion since 1975 ish, and I had never heard of Dick Knight or Martin Perry until the sale of the Goldstone - certainy Perry was only known as someone who built Huddersfield and was there when Blackpool went tits
Sorry, what's the point you're making here?

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The Large One said:

I suspect you're concerned the Albion would become this huge over-glutinous, fat-cat bastard corporate machine if this were ever to happen. Personally, I think the fans will still retain enough power to ensure that doesn't happen.

....and if that said organisation pumped 100million into the club and we had tremendous foreign talent entertaining us, you think that would be a bad thing?

have people really become so institutionalised watching Brighton that they are not ambitious?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Beach Hut said:

Why? Success is all relative and it goes in cycles (just ask Leeds). If the the club ever lose touch with the grass roots / community that has kept fighting to keep it in existence for the last ten years, then it will be heading for a certain fall. Cos the cherry-pickers will vanish as and when it suits them.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Tom Hark said:
Why? Success is all relative and it goes in cycles (just ask Leeds). If the the club ever lose touch with the grass roots / community that has kept fighting to keep it in existence for the last ten years, then it will be heading for a certain fall. Cos the cherry-pickers will vanish as and when it suits them.

Just think that the club will move on from requiring all the help that has happened in the campaign for the stadium etc.

What will be left for fans to do - shock, just watch and debate the footie for a change.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The Large One said:
She was thinking of the Abramovich / Mandarci scenarios. In other words, taking the power and influence away from the fans.

Sorry, what's the point you're making here?

the point I wa smaking was that she was talking about someone who had their heart and soul in the club, and I was racking my brains to think who would fit into that category...say Tim Carder, Liz Costa those sort of fans.

My belief is that owners come and go...I have known, bamber, Bedson, Archer,Stanley Knight...etc etc all who purport to be lifelong albion fans, but they come and go.....the lifelong fans are those that stick by them thruogh thick and thin and will always do so. Knight is in most peoples eyes a hero for saving the club and I tend to agree, but he will walk away either when Falmer is agreed/built/ opened and we will be left and new owners will come in...as sure as eggs is eggs

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Dave the Gaffer said:
....and if that said organisation pumped 100million into the club and we had tremendous foreign talent entertaining us, you think that would be a bad thing?

have people really become so institutionalised watching Brighton that they are not ambitious?
Ambitious for what? A lust for glory?

Chelsea and Manchester United are no longer merely football clubs, they are corporate entities who have become detached from their communities, and are answerable to their shareholders - and their shareholders alone.

The leap from Brighton now to a Brighton in that state of affairs is an enormous one, and one not that many would be prepared to take without realising they would have to let go of any influence thy may have had (or at least FELT they had) at the club. A sense of influence we all fought long and hard to attain ten years ago.

Big business, with all its laissez-faire workings is simply not trusted down here.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here