Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liverpool fans and the Sun

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
master of the understatement

in other news, Lord Haw Haw was a bit misguided and Mussolini was easily led.

Perhaps they feel the need to keep saying it because every time this subject comes up people tend to gloss over the real details of the day. The comments about thousands of liverpool fans turning up ticketless and drunk has proven to be a massive exaggeration. The Taylor inquiry covered that in painful, minute detail.

The story run by the Sun of people urinating on dead bodies and picking pockets was proven not to even be slightly accurate.

The police managed to hmm hmm 'lose' all the cctv from the control box which would have clearly shown the view and information that Duckenfield had at the time he made the choices he did. That's not a mistake, that's downright criminal conspiracy.

So for every person that learns a bit more about the day and the events then the masses from Self pity City will feel they've done their job.

Spot on. OP comes across as a scouse hater. I lived in Liverpool fo a number of years - lovely city, lovely people, and a football club to be proud of (in fact the result I look for after the Albion's). Anything they've got against the Sun, I'm with them 100%

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
f*** that, it's a pile of shit. Granted, page 3 can be a treat. The rest of the paper is absolute trash, I do like to read into politics, but I like analysis, not f***ing statements stating the bleeding obvious and tongue up the Tory's asshole. Populist crap, that's all it is.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Hello All. Just logged back on and have seen that I have been well and truly ripped to shreds. I am clearly in a minority of one and have re-read the original post.
I agree that it was ill-judged and insensitive and I let my emotions run too wild. This whole business deserves a more measured and intelligent approach than the tirade that I launched into.
I hold my hands up and say categorically that I got it wrong and offer my apologies to anyone offended.

fair play to you

Hovespur

Feb 28, 2012
You mean to tell me there was an alternative broadcaster that had wrapped up all the 'live' rights? And I missed it? Bugger! Was it S4C?

So it's ok to fund the Murdoch empire if it suits? Say for example the sun got exclusive rights to covering Football unlikely i know but would it then be ok to buy it? because no one else has coverage?

Last edited:

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
The Ban is directed at the Sun Newspaper in particular, not News International. The decision to run that story was Kelvin Mackenzie's not Murdoch's.

Hovespur

Feb 28, 2012
The Ban is directed at the Sun Newspaper in particular, not News International. The decision to run that story was Kelvin Mackenzie's not Murdoch's.

fair enough but that wasnt implied by the reply to the earlier point.he implied that he didnt mind subscribing to sky as it was the only tv station showing the games regardless of it being news international or not.shouldnt their anger and hatred be aimed at mackenzie now rather than the sun then?i'm not a fan of the sun anyway just curious by the stance.surely the ultimate responsibilty is with the owner of the paper as he employed the editor?i dont really get just blaming it on the paper and not the person behind the paper.maybe someone can explain it better

Last edited:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
i'm not a fan of the sun anyway just curious by the stance.surely the ultimate responsibilty is with the owner of the paper as he employed the editor?i dont really get just blaming it on the paper and not the person behind the paper.maybe someone can explain it better

The 'source' from south yorks police gave the story to a number of press agencies and newspapers. many reported them as allegations and stated the allegation came from the police. many reported this with a sense of incredulity or very basic verbatim quotes making it very clear it was the sources opinion.

Only one paper, The Sun, reported it a 'The Truth' and gave the claims more credibility than they actually deserved. The journalist who wrote the story even pleaded with the editor and sub editor to change the headline as he felt it gave way more credibility than the quotes deserved. But the editorial team ran with it. The next day Murdoch apparently gave McKenzie the one and only rollocking that he ever got whilst at the Sun and tried desperately to back track - however the decision to run the story with the angle and headline that they did was one taken by the editorial team and so the anger was directed at that team, some of which are still at the paper now.

Hovespur

Feb 28, 2012
Cheers for the explanation. I'm still baffled by the other fellas reply about sky though.and I'm still a but under whelmed by the whole reason they don't Blame Murdoch is because he apparently gave a bollocking. Was anyone sacked over it?.seems Flimsy to me but they clearly have other reasons to focus the blame On the paper rather than news international who imo that's who they should have their gripe with as they still employ many of
The people who were responsible for story.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I remember the Sun's pictures of people's faces pressed hard into the wire fencing having been crushed from behind, eyes closed because they were either dead or unconscious.

In my book the Sun's coverage was the worst piece of journalism I've ever seen and good on the Liverpool folk for their continued boycott.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I don't buy it. But that's because it's full of crap, rather than because of anything Liverpool do.

Mind you, I do admit to always having a sneaky peek at the News In Briefs on page 3 if I'm passing a newsagent. That bit is utter genius. There must be a collection of those online somewhere.

:lolol:

Woodingdeanseagulls

Jan 4, 2012
f*** that, it's a pile of shit. Granted, page 3 can be a treat. The rest of the paper is absolute trash, I do like to read into politics, but I like analysis, not f***ing statements stating the bleeding obvious and tongue up the Tory's asshole. Populist crap, that's all it is.

I think to be fair, the Labour party should be sending a big fat cheque to Murdoch for all the support they got when they were in power!

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I think to be fair, the Labour party should be sending a big fat cheque to Murdoch for all the support they got when they were in power!

I'm no big fan of Labour either, had noticed Ed Miliband made comments supporting Murdoch about a month ago, perhaps to have a resurgence of The Sun labour support.

Hovespur

Feb 28, 2012
I remember the Sun's pictures of people's faces pressed hard into the wire fencing having been crushed from behind, eyes closed because they were either dead or unconscious.

In my book the Sun's coverage was the worst piece of journalism I've ever seen and good on the Liverpool folk for their continued boycott.
But why just the boycott of the sun and not the people behind the paper. This is what I don't get

Jameson

If anyone has read the Ipswich programme with the emails from the Liverpool fans thanking us for our support and respect last Sunday, you will know how awful and enduring the disaster is. The people who died were entirely innocent and everyone else tried to cover up/blame others and The Sun used it as an opportunity for one of the most vile and despicable piece of journalism (?) ever witnessed in a so called civilised democratic world society. If you saw it live and stared at the lost trainers of dead teenagers scattered on the pitch pitch at half time, you too would know this was something that would change football forever.

Don't buy The Sun.

Justice for the 96.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Yes, they were at it again yesterday, holding up anti Sun posters at Wembley. Haven't we all had a gut full of this now?
Hillsborough was a disaster..the Sun's coverage did leave something to be desired and the police did make mistakes. But ffs won't they ever move on?
You don't hear Juve fans raising the subject of Heysel every five minutes, when nearly 40 Italians were crushed to death by the actions of rampaging, out of control Liverpool fans.
Why don't some of the thousands of boozed-up ticketless Liverpool fans who turned up late at Hillsborough that day and started a riot outside to force the police to open the gates, come forward and share some of the blame?
Fat chance!
I'm just bored with it now. Like all genuine football fans we will never forget Hillsborough. We just don't want it rammed down our throats every five minutes.

I haven't read the replies on this but at last

Hillsborough would never have happened if Liverpool fans without tickets had not tried to force their way in.yet they seem to want to blame everybody else.

Mistakes were made but maybe the first place they should have looked was in the mirror

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Hillsborough would never have happened if Liverpool fans without tickets had not tried to force their way in.yet they seem to want to blame everybody else.

Mistakes were made but maybe the first place they should have looked was in the mirror

This post is exactly why the Liverpool people keep campaigning. Your ignorance is astounding. Mo Gosfield has already apologised for this post that you have quoted. Read some information about the tragedy including the Taylor report and then come back with an opinion.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Such an explanation may seem plausible (possibly even attractive to those on NSC who delight at the whiff of hypocrisy) except the Taylor Report firmly debunked it. Have you actually read the Taylor Report or are you just theorising a conclusion that fits your presumptions?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here