Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liverpool fans and the Sun

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
This post is exactly why the Liverpool people keep campaigning. Your ignorance is astounding. Mo Gosfield has already apologised for this post that you have quoted. Read some information about the tragedy including the Taylor report and then come back with an opinion.

I hold up my hands for misinterpreting this thread for that I am sorry.

My opinion on that fateful day will never change

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Is that a 'politician's apology'?

So you still stand by your opinion on the causes, and that opinion remains fixed no matter the weight of evidence to show otherwise?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

If you actually read some facts about what happened your 'opinion on that fateful day' would change. When I say read some facts, I don't mean The Sun's interpretation on what happened. Read eye witness accounts from some of the emergency services (except the police reports which are questionable at best). Try speaking to people who were there-neutrals and non-Liverpool fans. Your 'accounts' as to what happened are typical of people who haven't got a clue but feel the need to comment.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
well you should. The ones who died were innocent.

I think the major point in all this, and what the original OP stated, but has largely been ignored is that Liverpool as a club and city tried to brush Heysel under the carpet like it really wasn't their fault. They never did apologise officially for their part in it as far as I'm aware, and in this great search for justice, the same effort and energy should have been spent prosecuting every single Liverpool involved in Belgium. Instead, only 14 were convicted, and of them it's likely only a handful even served a sentence. Not a single banning order from the club or massive effort to identify and ban every single Liverpool fan that charged at the Juve fans that night, many of them family groups has been made. Many of the Liverpool fans involved that terrible night, probably still attend Anfield to this day.

The Hillsborough Memorial really moved me when I saw it a few years ago, the ages, and the family groups are what hit you the most, an unimaginable tragedy, and one which rightly should never be forgotten, or the search for truth and justice abated. It is only a shame that this same commitment and steadfast desire to see justice served could not extend to the Heysel Tragedy. It was unsurprising that a huge number of the travelling Juve fans turned their backs on the 'friendship' banner when the clubs met in 2005. It wasn't until 2010 that a memorial was put in place at Anfield, the first real acknowledgement of LFC's part in that tragedy.

It is an inherent problem with how Liverpool as a club have chosen to deal with 2 very different, but 2 equally devastating tragedies. Liverpool fans know this, but it is an uncomfortable situation, as one disaster much of the culpability lies at their own door step.

http://forums.liverpoolfc.tv/threads/91143-Remembering-Heysel

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
If you actually read some facts about what happened your 'opinion on that fateful day' would change. When I say read some facts, I don't mean The Sun's interpretation on what happened. Read eye witness accounts from some of the emergency services (except the police reports which are questionable at best). Try speaking to people who were there-neutrals and non-Liverpool fans. Your 'accounts' as to what happened are typical of people who haven't got a clue but feel the need to comment.

I except that my opinion may be a blunt characterisation of the events that day but believe me the taylor report will be far from accurate.

WHAT STICKS IN MY MIND

Is that after the events of hillsborough & what happened that there is television footage of Liverpool fans climbing the stands of wembley & being helped into the stadium by fellow Liverpool fans knowing what had happened only a few weeks before.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here