Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Levi Colwill

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Isn't JPvH out of contract at the end of this season?
He is but we may have a previously not mentioned years option on his contract as is often the case. He hasn’t made the same noises Ostigard did about wanting guaranteed playing time so I imagine he’d sign a new contract if offered as well.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I love this style, it’s a little arrogant and Everton fans were going full on Morocco with the booing/whistling of it. Colwill appears to have taken to it better than anyone other than Sanchez.

It does run the risk of a clattering late challenge which it seems refs are OK with until 20 mins from the end of the game. I thought Everton should have got two or three bookings for thuggery yet the ref chose to yellow card Ferguson first. It was a bad tackle but not as bad as some that had gone before by Everton.
I couldn’t work out whether they were booing our players for imaginary time wasting or theirs for not pressing. A bit of both maybe but it had the desired effect of making them press (badly).

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
He is but we may have a previously not mentioned years option on his contract as is often the case. He hasn’t made the same noises Ostigard did about wanting guaranteed playing time so I imagine he’d sign a new contract if offered as well.
He has a bit. Just not quite as rabid dog like as Leo. His definitely said how important the loan was and how important he thinks it is to play. His problem is he is effectively behind Dunk (assuming the plan is to sign Colwill or the left footed Ukrainian). I think we do look a bit better with a left footed player on the left. He HAS to play against 'Boro surely? I'd love to see Dunky rested, he and Colwill start and Webster get 30.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
In my opinion there is not a chance Chelsea will let him go.

Chelsea have 3 good centre backs as far as I'm aware. Forfana, Koulibaly and Thiago Silva.

I assume Silva's contract must be up this season or next. With his age they will need another centre back coming in.

It's a nice thought, but it aint happening.
I still think that Chelsea would use him as part of the deal to get someone like Caicedo.

The other thing though is that Chelsea have bent FFP over and are currently ****ing it up the wrong’un whilst laughing hysterically. I remember when Everton came to the end of their FFP allowance and started signing players like Dele on a ‘buy now - pay later’ deal. Surely the same will happen at Chelsea. They need to sell, just like Citeh now do or else they’ll be facing FFP sanctions (unless they think their lawyers can deal with it?).

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
JPvH is the next cab on the rank.
Adam Webster seems to pick up injuries far more regularly than anyone would expect. Brighton have started Dunk, Veltman and Colwill on several occasions. If any of them become unavailable JPvH would likely step in.
The only scenario I can see him playing elsewhere is if Brighton sign an experienced defender in the January window.
There has been a couple of mentions of Shaktar Donetsk defender Mykola Matviyenko being linked with Brighton.
JPVH needs to go on loan IMO. He's 22 and getting 0 minutes, its not a good situation. I think if Dunk or Colwill would be injured (in the PL, we'll see if JPVH gets minutes against Boro) I think we'd see Veltman CB and Lamptey RB.

Of course that would leave the squad a bit thin on CBs but I could definitely see a defender coming in this transfer window.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I’ve said it before and will say it again. There would be no better signing either this window or in the summer than getting Colwill in permanently. He’s young, he’s excellent, RDZ knows and trusts him and he is thriving in our system. If this is the player we need to invest heavily then I hope we do so.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Adam Webster seems to pick up injuries far more regularly than anyone would expect. Brighton have started Dunk, Veltman and Colwill on several occasions. If any of them become unavailable
Ok. So what injuries would you expect for a footballer ? or indeed a Centre back. ? He's played 95 games for us in 3 and a half seasons . Is that the threshold ?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Is it? I seem to recall that he has been out for lengthy periods every season since we signed him. Fabulous player imo but he takes a few games to get up to speed and he has been injured a lot…I think

Chailey will be along with the facts shortly I’m sure :smile:
He's played 95 games in three and a half seasons. PS: I'm not your personal Google @icygull !! - you can look this stuff up .

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He's played 95 games in three and a half seasons. PS: I'm not your personal Google @icygull !! - you can look this stuff up .
You love it and I know that you’ll double check my figures anyway :smile:

A PL club plays an average of 38 games a season, so in three and a half seasons that would be 133 games. Webster, when fit is pretty well guaranteed a start in most games. So by my calculations he has missed 38 games in three and a half years which is effectively a full season of missed games. I still call sicknote, sadly, as I do rate him very highly.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

A PL club plays an average of 38 games a season, so in three and a half seasons that would be 133 games. Webster, when fit is pretty well guaranteed a start in most games. So by my calculations he has missed 38 games in three and a half years which is effectively a full season of missed games. I still call sicknote, sadly, as I do rate him very highly.
Injury prone certainly, but sicknote is a tad harsh.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Well what do we have to compare him to ? Whats the benchmark for avoiding injury ? Is this a lot ? Or to be expected.
As for "sicknote" as a term then i know you like using it @Icy Gull but its insulting as a description to me given it implies he's trying to get out of cross country at school or something rather than picking up an injury through no fault of his own performing at the highest level for the Albion. But i think i've said that to you multiple times before ! .

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
....but fair
Not in my opinion, but, hey-ho each to their own.
Seriously though, it is such a pity he is so prone to getting injured, it was only last season that he was flying and was being talked about being brought into the England squad, then the accursed injury hit. Up until then, the likes of Jamie Carragher(I think) etc. were raving about him.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well what do we have to compare him to ? Whats the benchmark for avoiding injury ? Is this a lot ? Or to be expected.
As for "sicknote" as a term then i know you like using it @Icy Gull but its insulting as a description to me given it implies he's trying to get out of cross country at school or something rather than picking up an injury through no fault of his own performing at the highest level for the Albion. But i think i've said that to you multiple times before ! .
As I think I’ve said before it is not intended as a insult and I’m sure that he is 100% more pissed off about it than me. I am not suggesting in any way that he’s shirking just that he is injured regularly and it’s always for a fair length of time.

I’ll say it again, I really like the guy and what he brings to us when he’s playing.

I believe Dunk has played 119 in the same time period and that includes injuries and suspensions :shrug:

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
As I think I’ve said before it is not intended as a insult and I’m sure that he is 100% more pissed off about it than me. I am not suggesting in any way that he’s shirking just that he is injured regularly and it’s always for a fair length of time.

I’ll say it again, I really like the guy and what he brings to us when he’s playing.
Given the risk of others thinking thats what you mean which you acknowledge - then there's an easy way of avoid that then isn't there @Icy Gull .!
As for "regularly" and "fair length of time" then as i've said. Were the 7 games and 9 games missed in 18/19 and 19/20 "regularly" and a "fair length of time" ?

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Given the risk of others thinking thats what you mean which you acknowledge - then there's an easy way of avoid that then isn't there @Icy Gull .!
As for "regularly" and "fair length of time" then as i've said. Were the 7 games and 9 games missed in 18/19 and 19/20 "regularly" and a "fair length of time" ?
Stevie Penney I recall missing a lot of games
Webster I'd say is prone to injuries Definitely not a sick note
(#sicknote see Sturridge once of Chelsea and the bin dippers )
Perhaps he has an underlying condition? causing these problems
Much like we d hoped Welbecks had finally been identified and resolved
Sadly not it appears

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Sadly not it appears
What does "prone to injuries " actually mean ? Do you mean play regularly in contact sport for a living ?

Welbeck until the last 3 games, had not missed a game for a year. Unless you can point to some reporting otherwise then there's nothing to suggest his latest injury is related to a long term condition. He like Webster is an athlete. You , sadly, are at high risk of getting injured. Why the urge
to suggest its someone's fault ?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Sadly not it appears
This is Welbecks first spell out injured since his return from that operation. In that time he missed 1 game, that was the 4-1 win over Chelsea when he was rested. He also didn’t play in Everton away last season when he was an unused sub.

I think it’s far too early so say Welbecks injury problems have returned. And professional footballers pick up injuries it’s going to happen to them and there is no way of avoiding it.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Sadly not it appears
Who would you play Welbeck or Ferguson?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What does "prone to injuries " actually mean ? Do you mean play regularly in contact sport for a living ?

Welbeck until the last 3 games, had not missed a game for a year. Unless you can point to some reporting otherwise then there's nothing to suggest his latest injury is related to a long term condition. He like Webster is an athlete. You , sadly, are at high risk of getting injured. Why the urge
to suggest its someone's fault ?
Exactly that - prone to injury. It's not the athlete's fault but some people have muscles, bones, joints, ligaments that are more susceptible to contact injury than others. Dunk has missed just 18 league games in 6 seasons, a fair chunk of those 18 were suspensions so he's been rock solid in terms of injuries.

Our muscles and joints are all slightly different, and the demands of being at the top level does make some break more easily than others.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here