Keith Andrews on loan?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yes but why bring in a slight improvement on Crofts when we're seriously lacking in other areas? Everyone knows we need a left back but we also need a striker, on loan if possible. I mean, if Ulloa gets injured on Saturday that leaves us with Barnes and development squad players (Not knocking Barnes, I personally think he'll have a good season).
If Calde's ban was upheld we would have also been screwed for defenders. Luckily the FA saw sense.

If he's not good enough for Bolton, is he good enough for us? Where's all the Spanish flair everyone assumed Oscar would be bringing in?

We only play with 1 up front so why do we need another striker until something happens to Ulloa? A left back yes if Maksimenko doesnt cut it tomorrow as I assume that he will play, through lack of choice.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
He looks like a very solid Championship player. Probably not a flair tricky attacker everyone seems to expect to arrive in droves from Spain. But, what is the point of a bunch of quick skillful players if you do not have the solid defensively dependable players to back them up?
We would now have Bridcutt, Crofts and Andrews with some development players knocking about for some game time too in that role now. Seems reasonable as just Crofts and Bridcutt would leave us short over a whole season I think.

And Agustien?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Something that Buckley, Orlandi and Spanish Dave are all capable of doing.

But not from Crofts if you're brutally honest. Andrews could be a like for like replacement for Dicker and competing for a place in the matchday squad with Crofts.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Ips mate always raved about him as a very, very good player. That was only season before last i think. I never really rated him but i trust this guys judgement. Didn't he go to Bolton in the prem even tho Ips were desperate to sign him after his loan spell?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I believe that OG wants an attacking midfield player to play in the hole behind Ulloa what about Vicente not yet fixed up with a club. play a couple of DS and closed doors friendlies to get him match fit, even against Eastbourne Aldershot etc.

Last edited:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I believe that Gus wants an attacking midfield player to play in the hole behind Ulloa what about Vicente not yet fixed up with a club. play a couple of DS and closed doors friendlies to get him match fit, even against Eastbourne Aldershot etc.

Who cares what Gus wants? :rolleyes:

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
I do hope Oscar is being given some say in player recruitment and it's not just being left to Burke, because if it is, I'm not that impressed so far. I really though that with Oscar's connections, we would have seen a few more interesting movements by now. I'd hoped that our days of signing players at the last minute were over, but clearly not. I appreciate the constraints of FFP, £8 million loss etc, but weren't we told that this years budget was the same as last season? If you add on the money for Dobbie and Barber's dubious money making schemes, we really ought to be finding at least a couple of decent players by now. Burke needs to go on holiday to Spain for a while, armed with a shopping list from Oscar.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Some of the expectations on this thread are laughable.

We have to cut an £8 million loss and compete against teams who enjoy the huge windfall of parachute payments. We're not the only club in that position. We have a decent squad, but we're not world beaters and it'll take time for everything behind the scenes to settle. Anyone thinking getting Keith Andrews in on loan isn't ''good enough'' need to take stock of where we are at the moment. Let's hit FFP, enjoy the cash from the clubs that don't and build from a solid basis. We're not going to make massive signings and spend huge money because we don't have it to spend. What other clubs are spending big? How many massive signings are we seeing? None. Because clubs are being extremely careful. We have a modest, unspectacular budget but we won't be buying big unless we sell big. That shouldn't upset anyone as bar QPR (Who'll probably just ignore FFP) every single club in the league are doing the same. There isn't massive amounts of transfer activity happening because we're tightening out belts. We need to box very ****ing clever and quite frankly the expectation that's being put on the team by some areas of the Albion fanbase is insane.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As I have said many times I am sure a number of chairmen will totally ignore FFP and pay any fine, which will be less than the reward for getting promoted. I know that the chairmen asked for it but I am sure a number will say it is ok for you but not me.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I think it'll be a good signing. I think he's the sort of player who will attract a few yellow cards though and just because he doesn't have a Spanish name, it's no reason to dismiss him out of hand

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Very good experienced championship player. If we can keep him fit, it would be a very good signing. Kemy's youth (well 26) and Andrews experience(32) sounds a good championship midfield combination...I fear this may mean someone is on there way out though!!!!!!

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
I do think we need another CM, Crofts hasn't been up to it since he came back. An experienced pro that has applied his trade mostly in the premiership. I believe this will be a good signing, nothing more, nothing less.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
True. But I think he is slightly more attacking then the others. But 4 is a good number for the position. It gives us the option of having two holding as well without being left short with injuries and suspensions.

Kemy stated in an interview last week that he wants to play more attacking roles.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports