Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Keith Andrews on loan?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Decent enough player I guess... but maybe Poyet was right? Hit the roof?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Transfer fees have to be written off over the life of the contract, so a £2 million player on a 4-year contract is a "cost" of £500,000 for four years. With a loan player there is no fee so no write-off.

I'm pretty sure there was a recent loan deal announced on sky sports news where they talked about the clubs agreeing a fee.

Regardless, this raises the question of our transfer budget is supposed to have been enhanced from last season. If we're don't he transfer fees to spend it on, where is it going?

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
It's certainly seems true that currently the squad is being assembled for Oscar to work his coaching magic on. We do not seem to have had any word of what could be called an 'Oscar' signing yet. It will be interesting to see if we do in the near future. Certainly one of the initial positives about his appointment was that his reputation would prove an attraction to Spanish players. So if that does not happen it will all be down to his coaching skills and ability to put a team together to play his way.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
He sounds an intelligent bloke, obviously wants to learn more from Oscar.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/10457043.Coaching_can_wait_for_Keith_Andrews/

June 2013:
WANDERERS midfielder Keith Andrews has been taking his first steps on a coaching course during the close season – but has no plans to hang up his boots at the Reebok yet.

Last season was a frustrating first one with the Whites for the Republic of Ireland skipper with an Achilles injury curtailing his campaign.

He started as a firm fixture in the side under both Owen Coyle and then Dougie Freedman following his switch from West Brom 12 months ago.

But he finally succumbed to the injury he had been playing on with, despite the pain, at Crystal Palace on January 19.

Andrews is still undergoing a lengthy rehabilitation process as he looks to get back to full fitness for the new campaign.

He was forced out of his country’s midweek draw at Wembley, and has used his free time to begin planning for life after his playing career.

But the 32-year-old intends to see out the remaining two years of his Whites contract.

And he has his sights set on a return for both Wanderers and the Irish national team as soon as the season gets back underway in August.

The Dubliner told the Irish Examiner: “I’ve tried in recent years to get on to coaching courses but, with our hectic club and international schedule, it’s very difficult to squeeze them in.

“I’ve always had one eye on the future. I do have other interests, but football is my true passion in life and, as I’ve got older and more experienced, it’s something I now know I will want to stay involved in when eventually I do hang up my boots.

“Not that I am ready to hang up those boots yet, not by a long shot.

“Unfortunately, I’m not available due to injury, and to say I’m frustrated would be a bit of an understatement.”

Andrews is keen to stay in the game when the day does come to call time on his playing career.

And he believes it is important to serve his coaching apprenticeship in a similar way to when he first started out as a young player.

Andrews says the pitfalls are there for players who do not approach coaching in the right way once they stop playing.

He added: “As a player, you really only have to look after yourself, but when you become a coach or a manager then obviously things change drastically.

“All of a sudden you have to consider the needs of a squad of maybe 25 players as well as staff.

“We’ve worked on aspects of the transition from a player to a coach and how to make it easier.

“As someone who’s played at a high level in my career I’m very fortunate to have gained valuable experience from playing with and against top players and working under a lot of coaches with their different styles and philosophies.

“But while I know this is a rich resource, the flip side is that there are certain things you need to leave at the door.

“Personally, I feel a big reason why a lot of top players don’t become top managers is because they let their egos get in the way. To a degree, it doesn’t really matter what you’ve done as a player when you start coaching.

“You have to do the same as you did when you started your journey as a player — that is to say, you have to serve your apprenticeship. And I think some players find this tricky.”

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Thoroughly underwhelming signing, if it happens.

According to the article, he is one of Bolton's top earners, so frankly I'd rather we ploughed that money into a first choice left back.

We have to FIND a top quality left back first, and then if and when we do, he needs to be available, needs to want to play for us, and needs to be able to fit into our system too Quality left backs don't grow on trees.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm slightly surprised that Paul Ince hasn't tried to sign him for Blackpool. He's been with Ince at MK Dons and Blackburn, and he can't live far from Blackpool if he's playing for Bolton.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
85 premier league games in his career of 331 first team matches. Experience in the top flight, yes, but I wouldn't say he has spent much of his career there. He's played 82 games below C'ship level

Those 82 games below Championship were more than 10 years ago, much of his recent career has been in and around the top flight.

If he'd have started off as a PL player and dropped down the divisions I'd say perhaps his best days are behind him. However he has actually ascended through the leagues to become a PL player.

My only worry would be recent injuries, but on loan it's a very decent signing.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I must be mistaken but I thought that he was a midfielder capable of scoring goals rather than a defensive one in the Bridcutt mould if so get him in as he must be an improvement on Crofts on current form.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
I must be mistaken but I thought that he was a midfielder capable of scoring goals rather than a defensive one in the Bridcutt mould if so get him in as he must be an improvement on Crofts on current form.

Andrews wasn't much of a threat last season, took penalties (and scored four from the spot I think?)... Injuries didn't help his cause but perhaps he will suit our system more than that of Dougies.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

He scored 10 in 20 for Ipswich 2 years ago, he'd definetley offer a threat going forward

Smeagull

Mar 20, 2012

Yes but why bring in a slight improvement on Crofts when we're seriously lacking in other areas? Everyone knows we need a left back but we also need a striker, on loan if possible. I mean, if Ulloa gets injured on Saturday that leaves us with Barnes and development squad players (Not knocking Barnes, I personally think he'll have a good season).
If Calde's ban was upheld we would have also been screwed for defenders. Luckily the FA saw sense.

If he's not good enough for Bolton, is he good enough for us? Where's all the Spanish flair everyone assumed Oscar would be bringing in?

Seagulls1984

Aug 8, 2011
Steyning
Don't like that we bring another old player in and stop our young players coming through. And don't like that players r getting bought in for oscar!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Not an exciting signing but definitely not a bad one of it happens. Kemy and Andrews are clearly an improvement on Hammond and Dicker.

Now we need the Harley replacement and our midfield's sorted.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Why is everyone banging on about the left-back position? We got rid of Hammond, Dicker, Vicente too and they all need replacing. JFC in for Harley. So just Bridge and Vicente to replace now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here