Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Keith Andrews on loan?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
He's a fine player, technically excellent, an exquisite passer of the ball who has played much of his football at the top table. Would be an excellent and astute signing.

85 premier league games in his career of 331 first team matches. Experience in the top flight, yes, but I wouldn't say he has spent much of his career there. He's played 82 games below C'ship level

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
So Burke making the signings is going well so far...

I dont mind as we have plenty of time left until the end of the transfer window, but we just seem to be signing Championship dross.

Palace signed some players last season which suggested they were getting ready for life in League 1 :wink:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Another right-sided player. Looks like he might be able to play right back?

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Quite happy about this, although it may be because on Fifa 13 he was exceptional at CM and I sold him for £1.2 million in the summer.

Experience is all well and good, but we do seem to have it in abundance. I hope this won't mean less chance of seeing JFC, March, Ince etc develop well.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
At last - someone who talks a bit of sense on here.

I use to share the same sentiment. Prior to signing to the Trotters he was a good signing on 'paper'. However, and take this from a guy whose entire family are STH up there, hes not as good as you think. Another player who lacks the mentality nor desire to play in the Championship despite probably having the talent to be a very good player.

The only reason we are being linked is due to Bolton signing Spearing on a permanent contract. If he isn't good enough for Bolton then he sure isn't good enough for Brighton.

I'm getting bored of reading 'rumours' of players of a certain ilk when the hype surrounding Oscar was Spanish flair!

Bolton va va

Nov 20, 2012
He should put a bit of fizz in your midfield .. eh eh..never mind.

Unpopular at Bolton (unfairly IMO ) , reputed to be on big wages, his days were numbered with the signing of Spearing. A decent team player without doing anything spectacular....nu-fans won't like him.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Might be the midfielder some have suggested will sign today, maybe a decent signing depending on what % of wages we are taking on if he's there biggest earner.

fozzie's headband

Jul 26, 2004
Heathfield
I use to share the same sentiment. Prior to signing to the Trotters he was a good signing on 'paper'. However, and take this from a guy whose entire family are STH up there, hes not as good as you think. Another player who lacks the mentality nor desire to play in the Championship despite probably having the talent to be a very good player.

The only reason we are being linked is due to Bolton signing Spearing on a permanent contract. If he isn't good enough for Bolton then he sure isn't good enough for Brighton.

I'm getting bored of reading 'rumours' of players of a certain ilk when the hype surrounding Oscar was Spanish flair!

Even if you are right in what you say his mentality may be very different at another club so how about giving him a chance first rather than writing him off before he's even kicked a ball.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
Even if you are right in what you say his mentality may be very different at another club so how about giving him a chance first rather than writing him off before he's even kicked a ball.

I hope you're correct! Funnily enough I bumped into him at David Lloyds in Chorley over xmas, along with Zat Knight and Marcos Alonso. Seemed like a decent chap for the brief minute I saw him!

He could be a better option than Crofts :) and certainly a lot better than Hammond!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A lot depends on wages. Apparently, these were high while at Bolton.

On paper I view Agustien as an upgrade on Hammond and I see Andrews as an upgrade on Dicker. He was also Wolves' youngest captain for over a century so should provide some leadership on the field, and he was The Irish Player Of The Year in 2012, one of the few players to emerge from Euro 2012 with any credit.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Andy Naylor has tweeted that we should expect more long term loan signings because of FFP. The club are acting to get within FFP, yet claim our budget is supposedly enhanced from last season, so why more loans?

Are loans more expensive? Are we planning on filling the squad with loanees because the enhanced budget affords us 7 loanees instead of 4 permanent signings? Will we offer higher wages or a higher portion of wages to sign better loanees and so money that would have been transfer fees will be spread on to the loanees' wages? Does enhanced not mean increased but more a way of smokescreen for the shift in policy of loaning (at a higher rate, with increased loan fees, whatever) instead of buying?

Keith Andrews? I don't know much about him so will wait to see him play before I judge, but it doesn't seem much like an Oscar signing. We seem to keep hearing that the club are after a player they were after last summer, or some other time before (had it with Kemy, didn't we?) Why didn't we get them before? Did Gus try to veto and now Burke has the freedom to sign who he thinks we need? Are they older and less productive and not offering what they did before and so aren't wanted by their previous clubs? Is it just the way of things?

braintree

Jan 12, 2010
From a Bolton season ticket holder I work with "I rate him, though big wages, so was always going to go with spearing deal on. He played first game against Burnley. Good footballer and keeps ball well, disappointed at losing him personally"

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Lets see the fella holding up a Brighton shirt for the camera before we write him off.

On this basis, we would have turned away Matt Upson as an over the hill, ex-England player with his best days behind him.

Lets see if Keith Andrews may be able to do a Kishishev for us eh?

I would agree with all of this - especially if Keith Andrews does to Ince the same thing that Kishishev did to Bridcutt.

If I'm honest, I learnt my lesson with Hammond last season - I had written him off before he had pulled on the shirt for his second stint. However I thought he was essential to our game in the second half of the season.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Transfer fees have to be written off over the life of the contract, so a £2 million player on a 4-year contract is a "cost" of £500,000 for four years. With a loan player there is no fee so no write-off.

SuperBrighton

Apr 18, 2012
Hove
I think he is a decent championship player, always seems to get stuck in whilst getting a couple of goals a season. Shirley other areas of the squad need addressing first though?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Would be happy with that, just the type of player who is good enough to get us in the play-offs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here