Just how deluded are Southampton

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If you try to view the so called controversial incidents impartially:
1) Lallana did score, but the lino and ref missed it. Tough luck - happens all the time.
2) Harding's challenge on CMS was perfectly legal, but the crowd and lino earned him a yellow. I have no doubt CMS has hurt, but since when has two men challenging fairly for a ball come with a guarantee that you won't get hurt?
3) Lambert penalty - probably, but not stone wall at all. The two penalty decisions at St Mary's that were given were fairly laughable (well one anyway) so equally tough luck.
4) El-Abd rugby tackled Lambert and the ref ignored it. Being an ex-rugby player, I do cringe when I see players role around holding their face in agony after a little slap. I would love to give El-Abd a real slap. Nevertheless, as soon as it happened I though "straight red card" - I cannot see why they would want to try to appeal it. However, D'Urso could have prevented it by giving the free-kick against El-Abd in the first place.
5) Jonothan Forte was just as bad as El-Abd for his theatrics when Greer was red-carded. Didn't see the incident though.

1) Lallana probably scored.
2) Since the laws were changed to make careless or reckless challenges, or excessive force illegal, regardless of how much of the ball (or opponent) the players got. It's been quite a few years now, actually.
3) Lambert's was absolutely not a penalty. Just him going down easily as he was doing all game (though mostly not as obviously as harding).
4) If that is what you think is a rugby tackle, you must be shit at rugby. Lambert had a poor touch and lost possession of the ball. El Abd was trying to muscle his way in front of lambert, and lost his balance, and probably thought he'd try to fall and obtruct lambert slightly, but lambert was too strong for him and lambert tried use this to buy a free kick by going down easily (as he seems to do a lot), and they both ended up on the floor, and the ref saw this all happen and seemed to agree with my interpretation that neither player fouled the other. Lambert then lost his cool and lashed out. Deserved to go, and to try to say el abd fouled him shows you're not viewing it as impartial.
5) If you didn't see the incident, how do you know he was equally guilty? Admittedly, El Abd made the most of his, but it's irrelevant, lambert raised his hands to el abd's face right under the ref's nose and the ref wasn't even paying attention to el abd when he issued the red.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He does a good impression of a being a big nancy then :)
No-one is going to disagree with you in wanting the laws of the game reviewed because a sending off for a sly push in the face is a ludicrous state of affairs, but they are indeed the rules and Adam El Abd was just doing what we've seen many times before from many other players throughout the game.

He's hardly a nancy though, just because your player is the victim on this occasion.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
It wasn't a little slap though was it. "The frontman punched the ground to show his disappointment and in doing so caught Adam El-Abd who went to the floor easily." Now go and chant the name of the glorious leader 100 times and swear vengeance on the infidel, Poyet.

klaaturberada

Jan 2, 2011
1) Lallana probably scored.
2) Since the laws were changed to make careless or reckless challenges, or excessive force illegal, regardless of how much of the ball (or opponent) the players got. It's been quite a few years now, actually.
3) Lambert's was absolutely not a penalty. Just him going down easily as he was doing all game (though mostly not as obviously as harding).
4) If that is what you think is a rugby tackle, you must be shit at rugby. Lambert had a poor touch and lost possession of the ball. El Abd was trying to muscle his way in front of lambert, and lost his balance, and probably thought he'd try to fall and obtruct lambert slightly, but lambert was too strong for him and lambert tried use this to buy a free kick by going down easily (as he seems to do a lot), and they both ended up on the floor, and the ref saw this all happen and seemed to agree with my interpretation that neither player fouled the other. Lambert then lost his cool and lashed out. Deserved to go, and to try to say el abd fouled him shows you're not viewing it as impartial.
5) If you didn't see the incident, how do you know he was equally guilty? Admittedly, El Abd made the most of his, but it's irrelevant, lambert raised his hands to el abd's face right under the ref's nose and the ref wasn't even paying attention to el abd when he issued the red.

4) I did play at U-19 international level ;-) We will just have to agree to differ, because I think it was a foul - and he kept hold of him! What for?

5) When I say I didn't see it, I mean I didn't see what Greer did to Forte. However, I did see him rolling around on the floor clutching his face in agony afterwards, and then strolling off the pitch at the end with absolutely no facial injury and with a big cheesy grin on his face. That is why I said he was just as bad as El-Abd. Both play-acting nancy boys - like most footballers.

klaaturberada

Jan 2, 2011
He's hardly a nancy though, just because your player is the victim on this occasion.
Oh please! Yes, he is a play-acting Nancy - and so is Jonothan Forte and a fair few other footballers across the world. As soon as raising your hands became a red-card offence, most footballers roll around in agony at the slightest touch. It turns my stomach. I know the rule was brought in to try and prevent the sort of assault Fashanu inflicted on Gary Mabbutt, but I still hate to see this crap on a football pitch regardless of whose team they play for. I don't have a solution though.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
4) I did play at U-19 international level ;-) We will just have to agree to differ, because I think it was a foul - and he kept hold of him! What for?

5) When I say I didn't see it, I mean I didn't see what Greer did to Forte. However, I did see him rolling around on the floor clutching his face in agony afterwards, and then strolling off the pitch at the end with absolutely no facial injury and with a big cheesy grin on his face. That is why I said he was just as bad as El-Abd. Both play-acting nancy boys - like most footballers.

You got to under 19s and still think having both shoulders to the side of an opponent, one pointing at the ground one at the sky and your lower neck pressing into someone's hip trying to unsettle him is a rugby tackle?

klaaturberada

Jan 2, 2011
You got to under 19s and still think having both shoulders to the side of an opponent, one pointing at the ground one at the sky and your lower neck pressing into someone's hip trying to unsettle him is a rugby tackle?
OK - lets not get involved in a debate about what is and is not a rugby tackle! I was merely trying to illustrate my point with an often-used analogy. I agree, it was not a "rugby tackle" in the literal sense, but (in my opinion) it was a foul. Lambert outmuscled El-Abd as they move moved towards the ball, and El-Abd dragged him to the floor and kept hold of him. That is how I saw it. You do not agree with me. Fair enough. I said it was a red-card under the current rules. Do you agree with that?

Thats a vey dangerous (some might even say 'arrogant') attitude to promotion. You have to take your chance whilst its there.

You might be 'f***ing strong' next year, but so will any number of Cardiff, Birmingham, Middlesborough, plus you might have Blackburn, Bolton and Wolves to contend with.

In today's game this is true.
Other factors include the danger of getting the manager and top players poached/tempted away. Even with us achieving promotion last season we lost Bennett, and still regret that. Crofts was another we could have done wih keeping, and if people look back over the years we've shed some good talents due to our lowly positions.
Let's NOT dwell in the lower league if we can help it - better to go up and have to bolster the squad than watch the best players drift away season after season.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So holding on to somebody to prevent them moving is called "falling over". Thanks for that. You learn something every day.

Eh? El Abd was falling down, Lambert was under him. Do you not put your hands out when falling? You fall face first like a FISH? Weird.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
OK - lets not get involved in a debate about what is and is not a rugby tackle! I was merely trying to illustrate my point with an often-used analogy. I agree, it was not a "rugby tackle" in the literal sense, but (in my opinion) it was a foul. Lambert outmuscled El-Abd as they move moved towards the ball, and El-Abd dragged him to the floor and kept hold of him. That is how I saw it. You do not agree with me. Fair enough. I said it was a red-card under the current rules. Do you agree with that?

I just watched it again and am amending my view (the shoulders weren't so perpendicular to the ground). The long ball is played to lambert, but El Abd reads the pass and sneaks in front of him and pokes the ball away, he continues trying to follow the ball, and having just stretched to poke it away is struggling to find his feet. His entire upper body is past lambert, when lambert tries to run into him to and puts his arms out (I presume instinctively in a defensive way as el abd is trying to stand up in the same space lambert is running towards, but it's also very possible he was trying to hold el abd down), and they start to get tangled and grab each other as they fall to the ground. Neither of them had much of a chance of winning the ball, that cook had collected, both grabbed at each other, both tried to buy a cheap free kick, and the ref rightly ignored both their claims. Seeing them tangled, the ref kept an eye on them for afters, and lambert provided.

BBC Sport - Brighton 3-0 Southampton

Yes, I do agree it was a red card.

klaaturberada

Jan 2, 2011
Eh? El Abd was falling down, Lambert was under him. Do you not put your hands out when falling? You fall face first like a FISH? Weird.
Fast forward a little - they both hit the deck. Lambert tried to get up. El-Abd grabbed him to prevent him getting up. Lambert appealed to the ref, who gestured to them to both get up. Lambert, frustrated that he did not get the decision and still could not get up, lashed out. Red card (deserved I think). El-Abd proceeds to roll aound like a big girlie (as did Forte later on).

klaaturberada

Jan 2, 2011
I just watched it again and am amending my view (the shoulders weren't so perpendicular to the ground). The long ball is played to lambert, but El Abd reads the pass and sneaks in front of him and pokes the ball away, he continues trying to follow the ball, and having just stretched to poke it away is struggling to find his feet. His entire upper body is past lambert, when lambert tries to run into him to and puts his arms out (I presume instinctively in a defensive way as el abd is trying to stand up in the same space lambert is running towards, but it's also very possible he was trying to hold el abd down), and they start to get tangled and grab each other as they fall to the ground. Neither of them had much of a chance of winning the ball, that cook had collected, both grabbed at each other, both tried to buy a cheap free kick, and the ref rightly ignored both their claims. Seeing them tangled, the ref kept an eye on them for afters, and lambert provided.

BBC Sport - Brighton 3-0 Southampton

Yes, I do agree it was a red card.

Do you agree that El-Abd and Forte are play-acting jessie's (or a similar derogatory phrase for such behaviour) ?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Do you agree that El-Abd and Forte are play-acting jessie's (or a similar derogatory phrase for such behaviour) ?

I wouldn't say play acting jessies, at least not el abd, because he scares me, but yes. Like too many footballers, they do make a meal of things.

Incidentally, anyone see warnock's comments about not believing joey 'it's not my job to keep everyone on the pitch, I've gotta do the best for my team, go down like sack of spuds after a tap to the face which I'll claim was a close-fisted punch' barton wouldn't have gone down like bradley johnson did? Hilarious.

Last edited:

klaaturberada

Jan 2, 2011
I wouldn't say play acting jessies, at least not el abd, because he scares me, but yes. Like too many footballers, they do make a meal of things.

Incidentally, anyone see warnock's comments about not believing joey 'it's not my job to keep everyone on the pith, I've gotta do the best for my team, go down like sack of spuds after a tap to the face which I'll claim was a close-fisted punch' barton wouldn't have gone down like bradley johnson did? Hilarious.
Warnock is the epitomy of the anagram of his name.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Could you please consult with Acker79 and decide who was under who - then get back to me.

They were kinda like an h with lambert being the upright bit, el abd being the backwards r bit. Lambert's legs were under el abd, because he was bent over when lambert ran into him, lambert's upper body was above el abd. I included a link to the bbc highlights, which are quite clear.

EDIT: after they are on the ground el abd rolled through and ended up on top of lambert, but he wasn't there long enough to stop lambert getting up before he got the hand in the face. IMO, Lambert was still appealing for the non-foul.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports