Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jan Paul Van Hecke

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
A new contract was announced on July 13 but Albion didn't specify the length of the deal. A Dutch website had reported ten days before that it would be for two years but who knows?
That sort of makes sense from that time. We'd just signed Igor, were still trying to get Colwill back so maybe the club saw him as potentially fighting with Webster for 4th/5th choice CB.

It's to JPVH immense credit that he's seized his opportunities and has played his way into second CB behind Dunk.

Feel certain the club, who are good at this stuff, will try to extend, if 2 years was the contract last July.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Apart from him intercepting the ball, getting up the field and his pass to Gross that set up Ferguson’s first goal, and apart from putting in the ball that Veltman headed across for pen. Apart from those things he was frustrating though. 🤣
Like the f***ing Romans. What did they ever do for us?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Dunk used to have a mistake in him a few years back.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He picked the wrong season to try and become my favourite player.

Were it not for the 8 or so ahead of him, jP would be nailed on the accolade he'd have won any other season over the last 45+ years.

Not really for his impeccable defending probably more so for being both calm and laid back yet incredibly expressive.

I'm adding JP waving his arms around and clutching his head to a Groß Turn when it comes to 'must have' moments in a game.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Good player, improving hugely.
Still has the tendency to dive in when he should not.

Not as good on the ball as Dunk and Igor who would be my preferred choice, but JPVH has grown hugely this season

A valuable player in our squad now
Yep - that's pretty fair.

Probably an unpopular opinion given how harshly many here rate Webster, but they are very similar - both potentially excellent defenders, with bags of natural ability, but a sloppy / dopey moment in them.

JPVH had a couple of fantastic moments last night - the last ditch bit of defending that won goal kick 1st half, and the balls-out lunge to clear, and prevent a tap-in, after the ball rebounded off the post, and then Steele's back. He however, also came close to gifting them would would likely have been the winner - totally cocking up a simple header back to Steele, by almost failing to head it at all.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That was the most casual, laid-back attempt at a header I've ever seen last night.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Not as good on the ball as Dunk and Igor who would be my preferred choice, but JPVH has grown hugely this season

Fully agree. He’s getting better but does still worry me at times. However, in a backs to wall defending situation like the Forest game recently, there aren’t many other defenders I’d want in our team.

Should be sorting out a new contract for him soon shouldn’t we?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Fully agree. He’s getting better but does still worry me at times. However, in a backs to wall defending situation like the Forest game recently, there aren’t many other defenders I’d want in our team.

Should be sorting out a new contract for him soon shouldn’t we?
Agree. A couple of moments last night, when he was a little too tight.

But having a good season, a solid 7/10 most games.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

This. Great defender but his forward passing sometimes goes astray. vs Burnley he did 2-3 passes about 5 seconds too late where the runner had slowed / stopped and their defender got into a position to intercept where a quciker through ball would have got us in on goal, seems to hesitate. Again vs Marseille he did a couple of wayward passes.

Still young and definitly got the potential, come on a huge amount.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here