Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jan Paul Van Hecke

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
This. Great defender but his forward passing sometimes goes astray. vs Burnley he did 2-3 passes about 5 seconds too late where the runner had slowed / stopped and their defender got into a position to intercept where a quciker through ball would have got us in on goal, seems to hesitate. Again vs Marseille he did a couple of wayward passes.

Still young and definitly got the potential, come on a huge amount.
I'd also like to add to this, his passing is leagues above what it was last season when he was getting the odd game.

If he can carry on improving then he'll be elite.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'd also like to add to this, his passing is leagues above what it was last season when he was getting the odd game.

If he can carry on improving then he'll be elite.
If he sticks around, and doesn't take off to a 'big' club (one that's defined as paying three or four times the amount of wages that we do, whether they're as crap as Chelsea or not) he could be our Dunk replacement in a few year's time. A few errors (now) but improvement and - above all - heart and soul ongoing, and he could be that sort of legend.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Much improved with the ball and puts his body on the line when the situation demands. One issue for me he’s not quick, and neither is Dunk.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I really like JP, and his obvious improvement under RDZ. Even his temperament seems to have improved, which was a weak point.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Having a great break through season - a bit too careless occasionally with his passing and slow getting back to cut opposition players off on the counter attacks at times (grabbing the backs of shirts and conceding penalties is not the answer) but good under pressure, often the last ditch defender on the goal line.

He comes across as a genuinely likeable fella

Post-OM match interview - 15th December 2023

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Having a great break through season - a bit too careless occasionally with his passing and slow getting back to cut opposition players off on the counter attacks at times (grabbing the backs of shirts and conceding penalties is not the answer) but good under pressure, often the last ditch defender on the goal line.

He comes across as a genuinely likeable fella

Post-OM match interview - 15th December 2023

Wonderful interview. Delighted JP signed for another 4 years.

He's improving all the time.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I've mentioned this before, but it's very easy to forget that the current squad is really young and inexperienced - and JPVH is part of that. They are bound to make mistakes or sometimes not have the best game.

However, with the likes of him, Enciso, Baleba, Jacky Boy, Goodnight, Fergie and even - to a point - Joao Pedro, the future is looking very bright. Not to mention ask the other young pups either out on loan or on the fringes, playing PL2 or further down.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I've mentioned this before, but it's very easy to forget that the current squad is really young and inexperienced - and JPVH is part of that. They are bound to make mistakes or sometimes not have the best game.

However, with the likes of him, Enciso, Baleba, Jacky Boy, Goodnight, Fergie and even - to a point - Joao Pedro, the future is looking very bright. Not to mention ask the other young pups either out on loan or on the fringes, playing PL2 or further down.
I remember him being written off in what I think was the first league game he started …Newcastle last year….didnt think he did too bad until naturally tiring around the 80th minute….totally agree with your assessment

As an aside he’s developed the Dunk style in interviews a lot of “yeah”

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Very much this.

Great news for the club/fans, great news for JPVH, not so great for Webster.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

João is definitely in that list, especially seeing as he's over a year younger than Van Hecke. As is Wee Billy Gilmour.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
'Sings' new contract until 2027.

Get in

That's amazing news. He's one of the best young defenders in the world and is only going to get better.

If we were to pick our best XI with a fully fit squad, he'd be in it now. He's now streets ahead of Webster in terms of ability (who I still rate by the way).

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
That's amazing news. He's one of the best young defenders in the world and is only going to get better.

If we were to pick our best XI with a fully fit squad, he'd be in it now. He's now streets ahead of Webster in terms of ability (who I still rate by the way).
I agree and you make a good point about first 11.

Just this morning I was wondering, if all those who chose Webster on that JPVH v Webster thread a few months back, would still stick with that choice, or maybe even if any JPVH would switch other way?

Guessing JPVH margin would be even bigger (with greatest respect to Webster, whose served the club well)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Agreed, but you can add Bart and Gilmour to that list too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here