Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jan Paul Van Hecke

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So what is presumably needed in that case is a Dunk'n'Duffy in their prime type of defence - getting in the way of and blocking everything with body, face, legs, gonads or whatever, like in the Hughton era when the midfield often came out second best in the PL.

Not de Zerbi's way though, is it.
Odd post.

JPvH is more than capable of that and so is Dunk, but that’s not our style.

We held on today because we had to. We also scored three magnificent attacking goals away from home.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Odd post.

JPvH is more than capable of that and so is Dunk, but that’s not our style.

We held on today because we had to. We also scored three magnificent attacking goals away from home.
Odd? Because that's what he's good at (and TBF pretty good at the passing game too)?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We don't often get seats down the front, but Jnr bought these ones, therefore I was closest to the action than I have been in years.

At one point, late in the first half, we were doing our thing right in front of us.

Groß, The Lana, JP and Adingra were all one touch passing but couldn't get out. Nottingham were pressing.
it was about to go wrong.
Groß hammered the ball, all of 5 yards, to JP who nonchalantly passed the ball out through the press and the danger was cleared.

Had I not been so close I never would have realised just how difficult Groß made it for JP and just how easy he made it look.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yep. Which is why I was amazed how many people suggested Gilmour as our early POTS. I think he’s a weak link.

Really hope Baleba gets fully up to speed and starts most games soon.
Don’t agree on Gilmour, not PotS, and not as good as those he replaced, but not a weak link either.

Baleba struggled with the pace of the game when he came on, but generally so much promise. I would hope Baleba and Gilmour may start together.

Last edited:

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Good quizzer, smart, informed and persuasive.

But a fantastic central defender who is going to get better and better. We'll be fighting off offers from all comers with a shitty stick.

He's VVD Mark 2 for the future.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Amazing again today. Isn’t always, but taking huge strides with regular game time. Needs to be a leader with Dunk out next game or two (like he showed last night).

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Second in PotS for me so far behind Pascal, he has been superb. Hopefully in JP we have a Dunk replacement for at least 6/7 years after he hangs up his boots. And for when he is banned, obviously!

Another amazing bit of business from the club. Must be considered a £50m+ player already.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Summer of 2022, I was convinced we needed a defender in his mid 20's to take over from Webster/Dunk knowing that we had some teenagers waiting. Impressively Van Hecke has made huge progress and looks like he will hold a spot for many years

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here