[Albion] Is anyone else pissed off...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Bottom 6 budget = bottom 6 finish. Who knew? :shrug:

Yes, occasionally we’ll beat a Liverpool or a Spurs but over 38 PL games you broadly end up where your budget dictates. Of course there are a few managers out there who can perform alchemy with limited resources but they are few and far between.

Ha! Hadn’t seen your post

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Bottom 6 budget = bottom 6 finish. Who knew? :shrug:

Yes, occasionally we’ll beat a Liverpool or a Spurs but over 38 PL games you broadly end up where your budget dictates. Of course there are a few managers out there who can perform alchemy with limited resources but they are few and far between.

Next season will be more of same. Bottom six wage budgets produce bottom six sides 90% of the time.

Indeed the case. GP or PB or someone spoke about it recently... The budget part is unlikely to change, Brighton are not going to turn into a top 10 spending club anytime soon (was the not really mentioned underlying reality) so in order to break this relation between budget and place in the table, Brighton needs to do things different than other clubs... which is obviously a slower journey, but I'm sure it can be done and it would be really good for football in general.

If you look at the worst ever PL side, the 07/08 Derby side, they had the same budget as Ajax back then, yet Ajax would have beaten them seven days out of seven. Its possible for Brighton to turn into some kind of English equivalent but it takes a lot of time and patience that fans might not have but TB surely do.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sticking with singing these castrato tunes I see. "I'm not a Potter out because I would like to come across as rational and having a firm opinion and this could bite me in the ass, so I hide behind some false 'neutrality' while taking any and every opportunity to imply my secret convictions".

Grow some balls and speak out from your beard.

The club is bigger than any one manager and any one player. That's a simple fact and it's only misunderstood by an unfortunate cabal of foreign weirdos polluting the Albion's social media to the annoyance and disappointment of a loyal, long serving fanbase. You have the homophobic Iranian weirdos calling Potter racist every time he doesn't pick Ali J. You have the hilarious Tau fanbois from SA who are every so lovely and funny until their man doesn't make the bench. And we have a oddball from the freezing arse-end of nowhere, sat in a pile of pizza boxes and joint ends, annoying people who've supported the club for longer than he's been breathing because he thinks we should be GRATEFUL for having Potter, rather than us being the team who gave him a chance in the Premier League after 8 seasons with some Swedish farmers and leading Swansea to the dizzy heights of 10th in the Championship.

But the person who hires and fires those managers and players knows who and what he wants and those personnel will only change when he chooses. Given that, "Potter Out" is a silly position. "Potter can do better" is a much more realistic one, and where I am.

Is that enough out of the beard for you, you salty oddball?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
There's me thinking this thread was going to be:-

Is anyone else pissed off...

...with social media posts saying words to the effect of 'tough loss last night, back stronger for the next game'.

"we go again"

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The club is bigger than any one manager and any one player. That's a simple fact and it's only misunderstood by an unfortunate cabal of foreign weirdos polluting the Albion's social media to the annoyance and disappointment of a loyal, long serving fanbase. You have the homophobic Iranian weirdos calling Potter racist every time he doesn't pick Ali J. You have the hilarious Tau fanbois from SA who are every so lovely and funny until their man doesn't make the bench. And we have a oddball from the freezing arse-end of nowhere, sat in a pile of pizza boxes and joint ends, annoying people who've supported the club for longer than he's been breathing because he thinks we should be GRATEFUL for having Potter, rather than us being the team who gave him a chance in the Premier League after 8 seasons with some Swedish farmers and leading Swansea to the dizzy heights of 10th in the Championship.

But the person who hires and fires those managers and players knows who and what he wants and those personnel will only change when he chooses. Given that, "Potter Out" is a silly position. "Potter can do better" is a much more realistic one, and where I am.

Is that enough out of the beard for you, you salty oddball?

There's much to like about what Potter has delivered and there are also things that definitely need improving. In some cases he is up sh*t creek without a paddle and not of his own making i.e. us not having a 'goal a kick' striker but he has made some strange substitutions which are hard to understand. His selections have been strange but in the most case they have have worked it's his inability to have a plan B which is disconcerting and that was CH's undoing.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
As a life-long Albion fan I support the club first, that support includes the owner Tony Bloom, it's his money and backing that has got us to where we are today, and we've been feeding at the top table for the last four seasons.

As for Graham Potter: The jury has not yet concluded it's discussions, more questions still need to be asked and answered as the way we move forward is still unclear.

The vision for Tony is a top ten position, questions remain as to how we fund this step up if Bloom sticks to his spending caps. He obviously has faith in Graham Potter, but if I was in the managers shoes I'd be wondering how I was going to get any more out of this set of players if Bloom sticks to what we already have and doesn't splash out. If he doesn't then certain players might have to be sold to bring in the money for players we are currently missing i.e. strikers, this could upset the balance that Potter is trying to find in the squad. If we fail is it Potters fault? Tony Blooms fault? or just a case of we are where we are because we can't or won't change how the club is run?

Questions remain about Graham Potter but I believe he's doing a good job in some trying circumstances, let's see us survive this very strange season and be optimistic that the next season will surprise us all, in a good way of course :cheers::thumbsup:

If Potter’s credentials were so obviously sound, no one would want to shut down discussion/scrutiny of his record. But anyway, Good luck with that

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
The club has a budget and a belief that they can build a competitive PL squad around it. This approach will take time, and is not something that can be achieved by saying "we don't have a strong enough squad lets park the bus" The style of play has now been fixed, we are a joy to watch, we all know the issue is more strikes like Moders disallowed goal ie one touch and accurate, as opposed to Maupay clearing the bar from a metre out. The play that got Maupay in to that position, as so many this season, was sublime. Potter is clearly doing his job. Its time for the strikers to do theirs or be replaced. As the commentator said of Maupay, 'I think we are expecting too much too early from him, he is 22 in only his second season in this league'. But then if Moder can do it with far less experience (albeit from an offside position) I think its time he got his shit together.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The club has a budget and a belief that they can build a competitive PL squad around it. This approach will take time, and is not something that can be achieved by saying "we don't have a strong enough squad lets park the bus" The style of play has now been fixed, we are a joy to watch, we all know the issue is more strikes like Moders disallowed goal ie one touch and accurate, as opposed to Maupay clearing the bar from a metre out. The play that got Maupay in to that position, as so many this season, was sublime. Potter is clearly doing his job. Its time for the strikers to do theirs or be replaced. As the commentator said of Maupay, 'I think we are expecting too much too early from him, he is 22 in only his second season in this league'. But then if Moder can do it with far less experience (albeit from an offside position) I think its time he got his shit together.

This.

I think in some ways Potter is a victim of his own success.

We are bottom 6 budget and we are hoping that someone will exceed this and make us a mid-table team (with a bottom 6 budget).

We have shown this season that we can be competitive with the top teams which gives us hope that, yeah, maybe we can operate above our budget expectations.

We have also shown that we are not competitive enough against those other bottom 6 budget teams. This causes us concern that we cannot compete at this level.

It can be argued that he has improved the team in all areas except for the forwards and goal scoring. However it can also be argued that we haven't improved in terms of points on the board and league position. Both arguments are sound and based on evidence. So we go round and round. Each win is heralded by some as the new dawn we have been waiting for. Each loss served up by others as further evidence that we have not improved.

The truth is that only patience and time will tell if Potter is going to be seen as a success, failure or taken from us by a bigger club before we can properly make up our minds.

As has already been mentioned on here though, the only way that we can overachieve beyond our lowly budget is by doing things differently. It appears to me that Bloom, Barber, Ashworth et al. are playing the long game and trying to slowly build something sustainable. This is where I am putting my faith, they haven't done a bad job so far.

Lots of work to do still, I was confident before Sheff U and I am still confident now. :salute::albion2:

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
A lot of sense in the last few posts. Of course we have to operate within our means . Nobody wants a bankrupt club. We don’t know how the pandemic has affected the funds that Bloom can make available. We do know that all clubs have taken a financial hit this season with no gate money. So let’s not expect a big new investment in players.
I guess we need a bit of luck in finding another Zamora or a Vardy, but such findings are few and far between.
I believe there are several players we can sell to raise funds. The close season will be interesting.

We are all frustrated. The managers tactics are right but they fail in the final ,all important, final shot at goal.

I can’t say I have enjoyed this season, but let’s hope better times lay ahead :albion2:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
If Potter’s credentials were so obviously sound, no one would want to shut down discussion/scrutiny of his record. But anyway, Good luck with that

No one, as far as I’m concerned is shutting down scrutiny off Graham Potter’s abilities, or lack off, as many of the posts on here have clearly highlighted.

For me, I just get fed up of coming on here and seeing the same knee jerk ridiculous comments. People talking of sacking the manager with a handful of games to go, turning up for the Manchester City game with “Potter Out” banners or talk of success being measured by getting more points then the previous season (there’s a lot of unsuccessful teams about then)...

Even a blind man should be able to see the progress we have made in the last two seasons, on the pitch and off.

The sort of players we can now attract has changed because, unlike some of our myopic fans, people can see there is an ethos slowly being built, a style of play, that with the right blend of players WILL reap rewards, whether that is is with Brighton and our now infamous budget only time will tell, maybe we can get lucky and find a good banjo player!

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Yea this puts it into context. Put Lamptey and March into that team, players with a bit of pace and attacking intent in natural positions does make a massive difference. On the other side, total dinosaur mangers like Hodgson, Bruce and Dyche manage to get much more of a tune, certainly goals out of their limited squads does have you wondering. Generally a fan of Potter, but there is no way we should be relegation threatened with the ability we have. That is down to the manager ultimately

Total dinosaur managers.....!!!!......established top flight managers with pedigree....all sitting above BHA in the PL. Bloody hell, this pathetic term ' dinosaur ' usually reserved for the likes of Pulis and Allardyce by those who haven't got a scooby doo about football. Dyche manages the limited resources at Burnley with skill and sound commonsense. Gets every player pulling for the team. No ego's. An object lesson for anybody. Hodgson has kept Palace out of trouble for a number of seasons because he knows how to set his team up for every game. Bruce was being shot at by everybody this season. He just went quietly about his business, ignored all the big talk from Fulham, waited for his best players to get fit again and now they are going to survive comfortably.
Potter is a novice compared to these three and is work in progress. He has some way to go before you can make sneering comparisons about good managers doing good jobs.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
When Bournemouth had as many key injuries as we’ve had this year they went down. More established team, manager people liked, good players and prospects.

To survive as tasked is a good season considering. Performances good too. Just as every season we need one great striker to tip us over. Otherwise expect Potter to be gobbled up late next year by a bigger club with us safe in about 13th. With a good striker could easily be top 10.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
A lot of sense in the last few posts. Of course we have to operate within our means . Nobody wants a bankrupt club. We don’t know how the pandemic has affected the funds that Bloom can make available. We do know that all clubs have taken a financial hit this season with no gate money. So let’s not expect a big new investment in players.
I guess we need a bit of luck in finding another Zamora or a Vardy, but such findings are few and far between.
I believe there are several players we can sell to raise funds. The close season will be interesting.

We are all frustrated. The managers tactics are right but they fail in the final ,all important, final shot at goal.

I can’t say I have enjoyed this season, but let’s hope better times lay ahead :albion2:

Tactics aren’t failing, it’s the execution of the tactics that is failing in the final third.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports