Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is anyone else pissed off...

DavePage

The club has a budget and a belief that they can build a competitive PL squad around it. This approach will take time, and is not something that can be achieved by saying "we don't have a strong enough squad lets park the bus" The style of play has now been fixed, we are a joy to watch, we all know the issue is more strikes like Moders disallowed goal ie one touch and accurate, as opposed to Maupay clearing the bar from a metre out. The play that got Maupay in to that position, as so many this season, was sublime. Potter is clearly doing his job. Its time for the strikers to do theirs or be replaced. As thFaire commentator said of Maupay, 'I think we are expecting too much too early from him, he is 22 in only his second season in this league'. But then if Moder can do it with far less experience (albeit from an offside position) I think its time he got his shit together.

fair point if he were still 22, he will be 25 before next season, thought he has looked better going wide, just dont put him in front of goal just now. That said a couple of goals and his confidence will be high.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Blaming Maupay is an easy let of for Potter, hour after hour game after game the same shit is being served up it never changes. We huff and puff hardly ever rip defences apart all we are doing is losing or drawing with some slick passing in between.

With the possible exception of the last 3 games our shots tally says you don’t know what you’re talking about... we have the 7th most shots tally, and equally importantly the 7th most big chances missed tally.

I don’t think all the blame can be laid at Maupay’s door, but in a similar vein to the Mat Ryan situation a change could reap dividends - unfortunately the evidence appears to indicate we don’t have a striking nugget warming the bench like Sanchez was for Ryan!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
With the possible exception of the last 3 games our shots tally says you don’t know what you’re talking about... we have the 7th most shots tally, and equally importantly the 7th most big chances missed tally.

I don’t think all the blame can be laid at Maupay’s door, but in a similar vein to the Mat Ryan situation a change could reap dividends - unfortunately the evidence appears to indicate we don’t have a striking nugget warming the bench like Sanchez was for Ryan!

Without Maupay you don't create the big chances in the first place. He missed the first 75 minutes against Chelsea and in that game we had only two shots on target. His movement and work rate are critical.

What he needs is a finisher alongside him. Ideally a Murray type who can win ugly balls, hold up play and stick away chances but with more pace. Those are probably north of £50 million in the EPL and with no guarantee they'll work out. Furthermore, Potter wouldn't use that type of player every week, it would only be an option. Sometimes we'd just have to use what we have now. We won't be getting one.

Last edited:

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Maupay reminds me of Baldock. Makes space and good runs for another striker. He needs a Murray up with him.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
When you say "as fans we are frustrated..." do you mean Albion fans collectively, or do you mean you and your two other NSC accounts?

Why don't you post this on your regular account? Odd.

Just Wee-ed myself laughing at this post. My sense of humour is warped

he's not coming back

Ah but we might sign another Irish player though? So NSC’s biggest bigot, commiserations in advance

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
It's been such a strange season

We play some lovely football, there is huge potential, we look like we'd wipe the floor with the Hughton managed team from 2 years ago, we compete with the big teams and have lots of young players who are worth much, much more than their ageing predecessors.

Yet, it has also been the most frustrating season in a long while. The last minute goals - Palace in particular - the missed chances after chance, the over passing in key areas, our inept home record and baffling subs (Connolly on against big physical defenders on Sat for example). For all the potential, points wise, we are no - or not much - better off than we were under CH.

I can understand people getting the hump with GP even if I don't agree with it sometimes. It can be incredibly frustrating, I've been in a right mood after several games this year. Personal view is that some players lack belief. Take Maupay. He comes off and moans about Social media and the haters. He's not thinking about scoring. He's worried about missing. For all the sports scientists, fitness coaches, game analysts and tactics coaches we employ, someone, somewhere needs to take him to one side and convince him he is Mo Salah.

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

For all the missed chances, chances created we are fact right now the forth worst team in the league. If this is a long term project I will be collecting my pension before we are any good. Yes we have missed sitters every team does even Kane does IMO we aren’t brave enough in the final third no one attacks the ball with purpose it’s very often one pass to many because no player wants to take responsibility.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
For all the missed chances, chances created we are fact right now the forth worst team in the league. If this is a long term project I will be collecting my pension before we are any good. Yes we have missed sitters every team does even Kane does IMO we aren’t brave enough in the final third no one attacks the ball with purpose it’s very often one pass to many because no player wants to take responsibility.

Agreed, the responsibility, combined with fear of getting dropped maybe, for not towing the line . . . and speed of thought, think and act quick and get a decent shot away, that half chance is a valid goal attempt, blink, its gone. we don't seem to blink very quickly. as lots have said ther most frustrating season ever.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Ah but we might sign another Irish player though? So NSC’s biggest bigot, commiserations in advance

you've not been in the bear pit then :)

i don't judge people by their nationality, but by the content of their character, do you know someone who does? :shrug:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's been such a strange season

We play some lovely football, there is huge potential, we look like we'd wipe the floor with the Hughton managed team from 2 years ago, we compete with the big teams and have lots of young players who are worth much, much more than their ageing predecessors.

Yet, it has also been the most frustrating season in a long while. The last minute goals - Palace in particular - the missed chances after chance, the over passing in key areas, our inept home record and baffling subs (Connolly on against big physical defenders on Sat for example). For all the potential, points wise, we are no - or not much - better off than we were under CH.

I can understand people getting the hump with GP even if I don't agree with it sometimes. It can be incredibly frustrating, I've been in a right mood after several games this year. Personal view is that some players lack belief. Take Maupay. He comes off and moans about Social media and the haters. He's not thinking about scoring. He's worried about missing. For all the sports scientists, fitness coaches, game analysts and tactics coaches we employ, someone, somewhere needs to take him to one side and convince him he is Mo Salah.

And, at the risk of enraging Swanny again, that's one of the soft skills we were assured that Potter possesses.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
You've picked out a player who very neatly encapsulates the story of our season as a whole. Playing the best football we have for a long time, but unable to finish things off. Just hope we don't complete that analogy by being relegated (to match March getting injured).

Potter has delivered potential that wasn't there before. If we'd kept Hughton and spent big bucks on a top striker, I reckon we'd have still been languishing and that top striker would have been pushing for a transfer, because Hughton's team just wasn't producing much for a striker to feed off. Potter's got the team working really well in terms of putting food on the table for the forwards, but for some reason they keep throwing that food over their shoulders instead of gobbling it up.

Now ... a valid criticism of Potter is that as Head Coach, it's his job to get those forwards striking well and playing with enough confidence that they are able to put the ball away when given the opportunity. The one thing I'm not sure of is whether or not the current failing of our forwards is necessarily on Potter or simply that the players themselves just aren't good enough at that particular skill. Lallana's never been known as a natural goal scorer. Nor Welbeck. Connolly showed evidence he might be before breaking into the first team, but since then has not shown anything much. Maupay ... it's been ongoing for long enough now. There's something not right, whether that's mental or physical - he should have scored a whole lot more than he has this season. With the number of opportunities the team has given him, we should be talking about whether or not we'll be able to keep him right now. Not bemoaning our lack of finishing.

There must be a natural goal scorer out there somewhere playing for a team with a shoddy midfield thinking "if only i could get a move to Brighton, I'd score a bin full with them!"

Yes, all of this.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
And, at the risk of enraging Swanny again, that's one of the soft skills we were assured that Potter possesses.

No worries, neither you or Iggle know **** all about what is said or done behind the scenes - its knee-jerk guesswork and nothing to get enraged about.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
You're missing the big difference between Hughton and Potter; style of play - that's the biggest thing that separates the two. But you're also forgetting the nurturing of young talent that Potter brings. One example: Biss struggled to get starts under Hughton. Now we're likely to get north of £40m for him this summer. Bloom will absolutely love what Potter has done for the club's youngsters.

TB has never said, nor could he realistically have expected, Brighton to finish in the top ten. It's a long term vision. Perhaps you missed the contract extension to 2025 Potter was given when we were kicking about in a similar position last season. He's here to stay.
The flip side of this argument - he's ruined Ryan, Duffy, Stephens, Propper and Murray and we've not done especially well financially out of any of them, the core of the Hughton side.

As for youngsters, well the big one was Connolly who hasn't developed at all so far, Alzate has gone backwards this season - again, there's two sides to the argument.

I am not saying he doesn't have anything in the tank (Bissouma, White, Sanchez will do us very well indeed) but to think GPot is 100% safe in his job purely on style of football and because a player we took a £15million punt on 3 years has come very good is naive I think.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

boik

The flip side of this argument - he's ruined Ryan, Duffy, Stephens, Propper and Murray and we've not done especially well financially out of any of them, the core of the Hughton side.

As for youngsters, well the big one was Connolly who hasn't developed at all so far, Alzate has gone backwards this season - again, there's two sides to the argument.

I am not saying he doesn't have anything in the tank (Bissouma, White, Sanchez will do us very well indeed) but to think GPot is 100% safe in his job purely on style of football and because a player we took a £15million punt on 3 years has come very good is naive I think.

Ruined those players? What a load of tosh. Age ruined Murray, Duffy was always a liability with the ball at his feet, Ryan never came for crosses. He just identified the weaknesses and sought to replace them.

Aug 18, 2013
Ruined those players? What a load of tosh. Age ruined Murray, Duffy was always a liability with the ball at his feet, Ryan never came for crosses. He just identified the weaknesses and sought to replace them.
Duffy was player of the season in the Premier League, turned into a fringe player and laughing stock in Scotland. Murray was a scorer of double digits, totally frozen out. Ryan was one of our best assets who lost the ability to make a save. For a manager credited with the ability of improving players he certainly didn't with them. Just saying.

Obviously he has massively improved March, Bissouma and no doubt others too. I'm just making the case for why he's not as perfect as some like to make out.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

I think this is just Potter Out Campaign bile.

Pröpper is not ruined. He has looked pretty good when he has not been injured and played. His problem is that Bissouma has been world class and that Potter has preferred Lallana or Groß alongside the main man when Davy has been fit.

Ryan was ‘ruined’ when Potter changed the defensive set-up and took Duffy out. His weaknesses were exposed for all to see with his lack of claiming skills and presence at set-pieces.

Dale looked ‘good’ in his last game for the Albion but we require ‘brilliant’ (see Biss comments). He wanted a chance of first team football and hasn’t been able to take it, nothing to do with Potter.

To say that he ruined Murray when he 36 or 37 is absolutely bizarre and really underlines your agenda.

As for Duffy, all that glitters is not gold. The emotion of playing for a club he is clearly head over heals in love with has put pressure and confusion in his mind - it hasn’t helped that Celtic (like Potter) expect him to hit a pass or two and help the attack by pushing up. That’s not his game. He still flourish under a Dyche or Hodgson.

By all means critique Potter, it’s our right as fans, he still has much to learn about getting results in the Premier League. But you’re going to have to come up with better stuff than your ‘ruining’ theories for anyone to promote your opinion to anything more than nonsense.

Aug 18, 2013
I think this is just Potter Out Campaign bile.

Pröpper is not ruined. He has looked pretty good when he has not been injured and played. His problem is that Bissouma has been world class and that Potter has preferred Lallana or Groß alongside the main man when Davy has been fit.

Ryan was ‘ruined’ when Potter changed the defensive set-up and took Duffy out. His weaknesses were exposed for all to see with his lack of claiming skills and presence at set-pieces.

Dale looked ‘good’ in his last game for the Albion but we require ‘brilliant’ (see Biss comments). He wanted a chance of first team football and hasn’t been able to take it, nothing to do with Potter.

To say that he ruined Murray when he 36 or 37 is absolutely bizarre and really underlines your agenda.

By all means critique Potter, it’s our right as fans, he still has much to learn about getting results in the Premier League. But you’re going to have to come up with better stuff than your ‘ruining’ theories for anyone to promote your opinion to anything more than nonsense.
So Ryan was only competent keeper with Duffy in front of him but not Webster AND Burn? Not to mention two other centre halfs - White and Veltman? Makes no sense. He stopped making saves altogether.

Murray doesn't go from being good enough to past it in a single summer holiday. GPot froze him out as soon as he threw in Connolly (that's gone well so far...)

Stephens was on the way out I accept, but there's no way Propper should be as far down the pecking order as he is. Maybe that's more a result of a lack of balance in the squad than Potter.

I haven't mentioned Bernardo either, who despite seeming more suited to Potterball, has been shown the door.

I'm not Potter out, I just don't think he's the Messiah. He's got good bits and bad bits and i don't know why you get shut down if you dare to criticise.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Duffy was player of the season in the Premier League, turned into a fringe player and laughing stock in Scotland. Murray was a scorer of double digits, totally frozen out. Ryan was one of our best assets who lost the ability to make a save. For a manager credited with the ability of improving players he certainly didn't with them. Just saying.

Obviously he has massively improved March, Bissouma and no doubt others too. I'm just making the case for why he's not as perfect as some like to make out.

Duffy has shown in Celtic that he is in no way capable of playing in a team where everyone is required to be a decent player on the ball. So either you build a team adapted to his limitations or you move on from him. I'm sure he could still do well in some teams playing a different type of football but if he was going to play for Brighton, the whole team would have to be shaped in a different manner to accommodate him. GP choose not to and while you can have opinions on that being right or wrong, Duffy is too far from being a ball playing defender to be able to improve to the required level.

Glenn Murray... what did you expect?

Maty Ryan, maybe his development is disappointing indeed. But was he ever at the level Sanchez is?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here