Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Interim Manager?! *Merged*

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Yeah but why wait until last possible minute. Whu not release it on Sat morning. This seems deliberate to me and to try and embarrass Gus. All it haz done iz pug the club in a bad light.

I don't know about the TV stuff, but I assumed the timing was at the last possible minute before today, when the players return, as they would have to be told something. But it's also my assumption (guess) that the interim could be appointed today too - there is no way they would announce GP going and the new man coming in on the same day.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Yeah but why wait until last possible minute. Whu not release it on Sat morning. This seems deliberate to me and to try and embarrass Gus. All it haz done iz pug the club in a bad light.

Could be legal reasons for all I know. Maybe the lawyers have been working all weekend to get it sorted. No idea.

Aug 23, 2011
That is precisely the point and I fail to understand why you would think otherwise. Poyet will not manage Brighton again. You might like the semantics of describing him as our manager (although technically he isn't as he has been sacked!) but even if he wins an appeal, he will not come back. Anyone that takes the job now will be a temp manager and can remain under that title whilst effectively doing everything that you would expect a manager to do until the outcome. If Poyet wins, he will still be sacked but with compensation.

i know it wouldn't happen but hypothetically if Poyet won his appeal could he refuse the compensation and demand his job back? Is that possible in theory? I know it wouldn't work for 1000s of resons but could he?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Mark McGhee.

Er, no thanks.

Aug 23, 2011
In my opinion, if you ignore all other contributing factors the main reason he has been suspended is for not dealing with the retained list. Anyone know if that is enough for him to lose his appeal, honest question?

well if its in his contract and therefore breached his contract then yes it probably is enough for a dismissal however in some instances it may only be enough to merit a warning. Contract law is very straightforward but also very complex at the same time

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
MASSIVE ASSUMPION ALERT

Why is everyone assuming Gus will lose his appeal? Not one single person on this board knows diddly squatt about what happened, what has been said, what negotiations were going on, what disciplinary procedures are being followed and finally what Gus actually means by some of his statements. YET people are convinced he will lose his appeal!

Because the appeal goes to the club - the same entity that sacked him, and some believe were going to regardless. I suspect there will be less of an assumption if he then challenges in court or through an independent employment tribunal, whichever happens after the appeal.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Interim manager

I'm going to apologise if there is a thread elsewhere on this subject, but I can't find one this generic (I saw the McGhee one).

Two things:
1) the official statement has said they are appointing an interim manager shortly. Does that mean that we can kiss goodbye to signing Oscar?
2) if we must have an interim manager, who is it likely to be? All I'll say is that it shouldn't matter greatly, I'd rather have someone like McGhee than a player filling the gap.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Good honest ex manager who knows the club, I'd be happy with McGhee whilst this is sorted out

I agree, he did a good job in his early days with us.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I'm going to apologise if there is a thread elsewhere on this subject, but I can't find one this generic (I saw the McGhee one).

Two things:
1) the official statement has said they are appointing an interim manager shortly. Does that mean that we can kiss goodbye to signing Oscar?
2) if we must have an interim manager, who is it likely to be? All I'll say is that it shouldn't matter greatly, I'd rather have someone like McGhee than a player filling the gap.

All it means is that whilst the appeal is ongoing, we "technically" still have a manager so can't appoint a full-time one. No reason why we can't appoint Oscar - if he's the man - as interim, then made full-time when the appeal is finished.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I think we can only appoint an interim manager because Gus is going to appeal and may (theoretically win) and therefore continue as manager. So we can't appoint another one. However, the interim manager could become full time manager after the appeal has been concluded.

Worst case we have a genuine interim manager who has no real authority and won't be looking to build the squad. Best case, we appoint an interim with a view to him becoming full time and this appeal won't prove too much of a worry to that candidate.

None of this is ideal.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I would say that for now they are legally bound not to appoint a full time manager. That doesn't mean any deal with Oscar should be effected. Either Oscar could be appointed as interim with a view to a full contract once the legals are completed, or someone like McGhee comes in with Oscar on a pre-contract deal or something ready to sign.

Either way, it's a mess.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
In my opinion, if you ignore all other contributing factors the main reason he has been suspended is for not dealing with the retained list. Anyone know if that is enough for him to lose his appeal, honest question?

Appeal will be heard by other directors of club not involved in investigation or original hearing. Not looking at process error but whether original decision fair, ie not sacked for parking in wrong place and any new evidence gus has. Not seen many overturned at appeal

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I've assumed that something more serious has occurred than just this. Dealing with the retained list wouldn't have directly involved Charlie for instance, more likely Tanno who has now been cleared - so difficult to conclude it's just that. We what know, is that there is a lot we don't know...

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
an interim manager does what it says on the tin....stands in whilst our current manager goes through the appeal system, then goes......who do you think will take that on ??? If Gus succeeds with his appeal, he'll be back in charge.

Gus will not be manager if he win the appeal - just get loads of dosh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here