Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Interim Manager?! *Merged*

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It begins to look like a stitch up of Gus ???

I would not read GP body language as ready to leave ??? I have been through the same thing at work, and it was a stitch up. A certain type of person causes it. I can't think who at the Albion though ???

PS: in a stitch up, someone usually magnifies misdemeanours out of all proportion to their importance. e.g it is like getting targeted by the taxman after forgetting something on your Tax Return. Suddenly you are a bandit.

In reality, your accountant balls it up.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i'm guessing the club don't want to pay compensation. They can appoint a manager but that would go against them unless the reasons for sacking Gus are concrete - Perhaps they are not!

they wouldnt have gone this far if they didnt think they had a solid case. the interim thing is formality because until the end of the appeal process he is still technically in that job. the interim manager can easily be the intended replacment because there is nothing implied by that appointment that weakens the club - the relationship at this point is irretrievably broken and there is only a matter of procedure and compensation to be appealed over. this happens in normal employment, especially where a current employee is promoted into the role as interim or "acting" manager while the process is seen through.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
an interim manager does what it says on the tin....stands in whilst our current manager goes through the appeal system, then goes......who do you think will take that on ??? If Gus succeeds with his appeal, he'll be back in charge.

Are you trying to be serious? Do you honestly think that if he wins the appeal he will want to come back and work under TB and PB? The appeal is purely about whether or not he gets compensation. Either way, he will not be coming back to manage the Albion.

When has any club EVER had a manager lined up before sacking their current one?

Please, I'd genuinely love to know...

You don't follow football do you? If you did, you would be well aware that clubs have replacements lined up on numerous occasions. The most obvious one during the close season was of course Pellegrini going to City.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Tarrico is still our assisstant manager as far as I'm aware. Why would he resign and lose out on his compensation? I bet he turns up for work tomorrow.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
One thing is for sure: an awful lot of the kind of patronising "shut up and don't even dream of questioning Tony Bloom/don't you know how much he's paid for the stadium/I don't have any cogent reasons why but I have complete faith in him and you should have too" nonsense that some have been spouting on here over the past few weeks has entirely DEPENDED on the complete guess that there's already another manager lined up in the wings.

Now we know that there isn't.

The situation - all. of. our. own. making., lest we forget that - is a great deal worse than feared. What a total, total mess. An utterly shabby, sh1tty way to behave. Poyet out, Barber out. Now.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Err what? The club DON'T have someone lined up all ready to come in?

**** me. This is getting beyond ridiculous.

Erm? Where does it say we have nobody lined up?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
That is not the point. If he were to win then the moment he does we will have two managers if we get another permanent manager in. Then we will have trouble. It is just not worth the risk.

That is precisely the point and I fail to understand why you would think otherwise. Poyet will not manage Brighton again. You might like the semantics of describing him as our manager (although technically he isn't as he has been sacked!) but even if he wins an appeal, he will not come back. Anyone that takes the job now will be a temp manager and can remain under that title whilst effectively doing everything that you would expect a manager to do until the outcome. If Poyet wins, he will still be sacked but with compensation.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Can this all be about the compensation ? Once it had been negotiated down, then taking into account what we are having to pay lawyers and potentially Poyet's as well depending on the outcome - I wonder what the figure is.

I'm pretty sure its all about the money - wait and see what develops this week

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
they wouldnt have gone this far if they didnt think they had a solid case. the interim thing is formality because until the end of the appeal process he is still technically in that job. the interim manager can easily be the intended replacment because there is nothing implied by that appointment that weakens the club - the relationship at this point is irretrievably broken and there is only a matter of procedure and compensation to be appealed over. this happens in normal employment, especially where a current employee is promoted into the role as interim or "acting" manager while the process is seen through.

It will depend what detail is in his contract - Lawyers always say you have a very good case at first, then when you are waiting to go into court they tend to start saying things like "well you know nothing is certain......"

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
What is going on is a 5 million pound gamble and power struggle. I think it may have been a hand that TB has not played very well. If a club had come in for Gus in close season we could have got up to 2.5 M compensation. Sack Gus we have to pay off the contract 2.5 M. That is the problem. We know that Gus was offered a sizable amount to leave and he refused it. I assume that at present he gets nothing. I assume the appeal is an internal appeal with the club ? Which will probably be soon and Gus will probably lose. We then get a manager in and it goes to court. I think at some point TB will be paying Gus some compo.

I assume that if we pay Gus 2.5M at some point this will impact on FFP ? anybody know the rules here ?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Can't see what the issue is, really, seems quite simple to me. Gus going to appeal, so until that is heard and settled - purely a financial argument - then technically we still have a manager and therefore can't appoint another permanent one in the meantime. We can appoint an interim one, and it's perfectly possible that this person, once the appeal is settled, then stays on a permanent manager.

This also gives TB the opportunity to have a look at someone for a few weeks before committing, if he chooses to look at like this.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
No we don't. While there was something about it in the argus early last week, late last week the argus reported no financial offer had been made.

Sorry, it is 'alledged' that a pay off was offered. Obviously not confirmed but hypothetically if I was offered 1.5 million to walk from my job I would take it. :whistle:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Sorry, it is 'alledged' that a pay off was offered. Obviously not confirmed but hypothetically if I was offered 1.5 million to walk from my job I would take it. :whistle:

My point wasn't so much that it wasn't official, more that the same source of the allegation of a pay off has also denied there was one, so it's not so much alleged as 'wtf, argus? Sort yourself out'

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Even if you we're owed £2.5m? If I was certain I'd done nothing wrong I'd definitely hold out, and I think Gus is a man for whom principles are very important, sometimes too important ("Calde will never play for us again").

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here