Gus

Will lose the appeal - as otherwise THEY WOUKDNTNHAVE FIRED HIM

So why not

Put

Oscar

in as interim manager

Rather than **** around for another 2 weeks

Got it yet?

Because even if they're fairly sure they don't know how the tribunal will find do they? They can be pretty certain, but they can't guarantee it 100%.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The point is the statement seems to suggest they will get someone in BEFORE Oscar/Sherwood/Whoever. Why?

calm down. that what you are reading into it. there is nothing to suggest an interim manager has to leave and be replaced.

the outcome of an appeal is down to financial compensation, theres no option that Gus can be reinstated as manager. the interim tag is a technical nicety, that if it was a regular employer (with a month to 3 month recruitment process) would seem normal.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So you want to give Gus' lawyers absolute proof that we were negotiating with other managers whilst the disciplinary proceedings were ongoing? Brilliant

Why did the club say anything about there being an interim manager OTHER than the next permanent manager?nthey didn't have to mention it at all.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Why did the club say anything about there being an interim manager OTHER than the next permanent manager?nthey didn't have to mention it at all.

Probably because the new manager won't be in place for at least a week. Text the players and tell them not to bother coming in tomorrow as they have to wait until we have negotiated terms with a new manager? Somebody has to be in charge tomorrow morning...an interim manager.

Coach_Carter_92

Apr 25, 2013
Home
IMO the term interim manager is just a way of covering the clubs bases. If it was announced we had a new manager lined up so soon after sacking Gus then his lawyers would have a good defence for the appeal process, and probably get a good payout in compensation.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Interim Manager?!

So who for the interim?

Taricco, not sure he will show due to respect for Gus
Matt Miller, Luke Williams or some of the coaching staff will probably have involvement.
'Friend' of the club such as Mark McGhee or Gary Stevens?

And what is happening with Oatway?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
My reading is that making it public they are appointing an interim manager pending the outcome of the appeal was to allow them to give someone, anyone, the job. They needed a reason to give someone the role, and the impending season gives them that reason.

That someone will almost certainly be the next permanent manager (seemingly likely that it is Oscar Garcia).

The club need the appearance of going through process, so need to wait a day or two before appointing him. It is reasonable to have a list prepared, perhaps sent out feelers, when you are going through the disciplinary process, just in case, so a day or two negotiating and giving a formal offer is more acceptable than announcing the new guy at the same time as kicking the old guy out the door.

I don't think their confidence of winning an appeal factors in to new management arrangements. If gus wins the appeal, the club will then probably come to some sort of pay out deal, if not they don't have to pay.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Only because of the way we've decided to deal with it. Out of 92 clubs in the pro structure in England, 91 have never done this.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say 91 out of 92 clubs have never had to deal with a manager who with three years left on a highly paid contract decides to down tools with no other job in sight either.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Er we can't employ a manager until the appeal is over or decided against.
Also, what decent manager would want to come in only to have to leave if Gus wins?
If we have someone in mind they will probably wait until it has all finished.

Which bit if "Poyet is not coming back" don't you understand?!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Err what? The club DON'T have someone lined up all ready to come in?

**** me. This is getting beyond ridiculous.

When has any club EVER had a manager lined up before sacking their current one?

Please, I'd genuinely love to know...

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Ramos when jol was sacked, they'd been seen talking months before. I'm sure there are lots of other examples

Then tell me about them. Micky Adams when Wilkins was sacked perhaps? I remember identical comments being made when Slade was sacked, I don't believe it's standard practice to have a manager lined up before the current one is sacked.

Aug 23, 2011
Then tell me about them. Micky Adams when Wilkins was sacked perhaps? I remember identical comments being made when Slade was sacked, I don't believe it's standard practice to have a manager lined up before the current one is sacked.

You asked for an example and I gave you a good one now you want me to trawl through the Internet, if you're so interested I suggest you try google :smile:

But to keep you happy, man city sacked Hughes and employed Mancini on the same day, think it takes more than a 5 min phone call to negotiate taking a job

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
i'm guessing the club don't want to pay compensation. They can appoint a manager but that would go against them unless the reasons for sacking Gus are concrete - Perhaps they are not!

They can appoint an interim manager but if Gus wins then strictly speaking he keeps the job. The club would tehn have to sack him and pay compensation. Perhaps TB is fed up with putting his hand in his pocket

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here