Insulate Britain protests

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
This individual you could argue engages in hypocrisy, but frankly that sideshow isn't really important, lazy tabloid hack stuff

We have some of the most leaky housing stock in Europe and there needs to be more incentives from the government to get things up to standard, its saves money, it stops people from freezing to death and it reduces energy demand (and as we transition electric boy we are going to need to do this or the grid will collapse)

Aside of insulation we need more assistance for renewables, its crazy there is 4 times more VAT on solar panels than coal. We also need to look other less cyclical forms of energy like green gas from grass and tidal energy. We are gifted in this country and could become energy independent pretty fast

Britain started the industrial revolution, no reason at all why we can't spearhead the green revolution

Can't argue with any of that. Personally I think there should be a big push to tackle the problem at the source - surely if 100% of our energy was renewable or nuclear then losing some of it via poor insulation wouldn't matter.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
So people trying to save the planet are lunatics.

They are asking for too much and should try peaceful protests rather than disrupt people meanwhile not enough is actually being done to address the issues.

Time to wake up , homes aren't insulated well enough, fuel bills are rocketing so the old and poor will end up colder and in extreme cases will die and yes Climate Change is progressing rapidly so rapid correction action is required.

How do you equate sitting in the road to saving the planet?

If they were genuinely serious they would be backing up their claims with data, studies and evidence. Where's the data that quantifies what effect this would have vs other measures?

It's almost like they just plucked something out of thin air to justify their personal need to cause a scene. Its just a great big ego trip, it reminds me of Fathers for Justice!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
How do you equate sitting in the road to saving the planet?

If they were genuinely serious they would be backing up their claims with data, studies and evidence. Where's the data that quantifies what effect this would have vs other measures?

It's almost like they just plucked something out of thin air to justify their personal need to cause a scene. Its just a great big ego trip, it reminds me of Fathers for Justice!

So your view is that all protestors are just on an ego trip rather than looking to right a wrong.....

I guess it depends on whose figures you use - Insulate Britain have some information published on their website. I suspect you would probably prefer something on a government site but what is agreed by most people involved is that the UK has some of the worst figures on energy efficient houses which contribute to wasting fuel and unnecessarily adding to greenhouse gases and also contributes to fuel poverty where people cannot afford to heat their houses/flats etc.

The campaign is clumsy, its PR has been poor but what it has done is bring this component of saving the planet into the public eye. What people need to do is to see through b*llshit published by the tabloids and realise why a lot of people are doing this and adding to their ego is not high on the list (might be for some) though I guess they should get some satisfaction from trying to save the planet.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So your view is that all protestors are just on an ego trip rather than looking to right a wrong.....

yes, because their demand is unrealistic and so they'll be able to protest forever.

they make claims about inefficient housing stock, dont provide any evidence. i've looked up domestic energy consumption and found this:

we're not different from neighbours in northern europe as a proportion of energy use

page 5 of this report shows more discrete detail. the amount of energy used on heating is lower than similar climates and near to average.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
yes, because their demand is unrealistic and so they'll be able to protest forever.

they make claims about inefficient housing stock, dont provide any evidence. i've looked up domestic energy consumption and found this:

we're not different from neighbours in northern europe as a proportion of energy use

page 5 of this report shows more discrete detail. the amount of energy used on heating is lower than similar climates and near to average.
Ah but that will change when The Gulf Stream turns off due to global warming.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

I guess it depends on whose figures you use - Insulate Britain have some information published on their website. I suspect you would probably prefer something on a government site but what is agreed by most people involved is that the UK has some of the worst figures on energy efficient houses which contribute to wasting fuel and unnecessarily adding to greenhouse gases and also contributes to fuel poverty where people cannot afford to heat their houses/flats etc.

The campaign is clumsy, its PR has been poor but what it has done is bring this component of saving the planet into the public eye. What people need to do is to see through b*llshit published by the tabloids and realise why a lot of people are doing this and adding to their ego is not high on the list (might be for some) though I guess they should get some satisfaction from trying to save the planet.

These are just empty words! It would be like me trying to do magic because I watched Harry Potter and everyone patting me on the back for trying.

What do you think of my suggestion to make all of our electricity renewable or nuclear therefore eliminating emissions at the source?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Well average can always become better than average, we and other countries have far from exhausted the options to better insulate our homes. Homeowners and landlords need to be rewarded through the tax system to improve efficiency.

If you meet your potential on your EPC there should be discounts on council tax, and stamp duty rebates, leaky homes should become toxic assets. As things stand bling bathrooms and kitchens sell houses, we need to get away from that stuff.

At the end of the day money talks, we've seen this with plastic bags, most people hate paying for them

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Ah but that will change when The Gulf Stream turns off due to global warming.

People should not underestimate this. Compare the climate on London and Stanley (Falkland Islands), both 51 degrees from the equator, the latter is a full 6c colder.

Anyone fancy 14c in July?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Well average can always become better than average, we and other countries have far from exhausted the options to better insulate our homes. Homeowners and landlords need to be rewarded through the tax system to improve efficiency.

If you meet your potential on your EPC there should be discounts on council tax, and stamp duty rebates, leaky homes should become toxic assets. As things stand bling bathrooms and kitchens sell houses, we need to get away from that stuff.

At the end of the day money talks, we've seen this with plastic bags, most people hate paying for them

Again, I agree with all this to an extent (making people's private property toxic is a step to far for me but I can get with the sentiment). Stopping people going to work, stopping children getting to school, stopping people getting to appointment, stopping deliveries isn't going to make it happen and it certainly won't make the wider public support your cause.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Again, I agree with all this to an extent (making people's private property toxic is a step to far for me but I can get with the sentiment). Stopping people going to work, stopping children getting to school, stopping people getting to appointment, stopping deliveries isn't going to make it happen and it certainly won't make the wider public support your cause.

I don't see any issue with a leaky house which is less efficient than it could be missing out on a tax breaks.

We have EPC's for houses but we don't use them for anything, why not use them to green up our housing stock? We have something similar with VFD on cars albeit is relation to Co2

Government need to bold

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
People should not underestimate this. Compare the climate on London and Stanley (Falkland Islands), both 51 degrees from the equator, the latter is a full 6c colder.

Anyone fancy 14c in July?

They reckon that every year the amount of extra Arctic ice that melts slows the Gulf Stream to the extent that it might be permanently stopped or drastically diverted.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
These are just empty words! It would be like me trying to do magic because I watched Harry Potter and everyone patting me on the back for trying.

What do you think of my suggestion to make all of our electricity renewable or nuclear therefore eliminating emissions at the source?

Harry Potter is fiction the climate change is fact unless you feel that the scientists are wrong.

Any step to improve things by reducing temperature growth would be a step in the right direction - personally prefer the non-nuclear options but they might need to continue.

I don't think saving the planet should be empty words and personally don't think climate change is the only issue , micro plastics is also not good nor the fact that we are wiping out other species.

One point about insulation is that its not just about global warming , there are people who cannot keep their homes warm without spending so much on heating that they spend less on food..

I don't have all the answers , indeed I have many questions but anyone who on the face of it is looking to improve things is doing teh right thing in my book.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
the money is there but they're spending it on other things .....ie ....themselves and their cronies.

so don't obstruct the average man in the street , trying to get to work .....take it to Boris's house , hit them , don't hit us ...we're normal.

You clearly didn’t get the memo.

If the average man in the street is obstructed and delayed and cant get to work or a medical appointment or maybe miss or too late for a job interview, perhaps miss a vital travel connection,even lose business because deliveries or needed goods are deliberately obstructed then its pathetic for the average man in the street to be upset about that.

You cant expect the me me me selfish brigade to have any consideration for the fact that being deliberately obstructed and delayed can have consequences for some people that are quite profound to their personal circumstances.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You clearly didn’t get the memo.

If the average man in the street is obstructed and delayed and cant get to work or a medical appointment or maybe miss or too late for a job interview, perhaps miss a vital travel connection,even lose business because deliveries or needed goods are deliberately obstructed then its pathetic for the average man in the street to be upset about that.

You cant expect the me me me selfish brigade to have any consideration for the fact that being deliberately obstructed and delayed can have consequences for some people that are quite profound to their personal circumstances.

It's always good to be able to see the big picture. Didn't realise it was that time already :wave:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Yet that's exactly what Brexit has done, for millions of people, or is that somehow different?

I havnt noticed Brexit deliberately putting a human barrier on roads to disrupt peoples daily travel.
You are entitled to support this selfish behavior if you want. I wont be.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I havnt noticed Brexit deliberately putting a human barrier on roads to disrupt peoples daily travel.
You are entitled to support this selfish behavior if you want. I wont be.

Of course it hasn't, but it has disrupted many people's lives, and the principle is the same.

You chose to vote for it (as was your right), because it was something you believed in, whether it impacted other's lives or not.

They're acting on their beliefs, too....it's just a different kind of disruption from the one you seem comfortable with.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Of course it hasn't, but it has disrupted many people's lives, and the principle is the same.

You chose to vote for it (as was your right), because it was something you believed in, whether it impacted other's lives or not.

They're acting on their beliefs, too....it's just a different kind of disruption from the one you seem comfortable with.

Do you support the deliberate disruption of people going about their daily business by putting human barriers across roads?
Its a simple yes or no. i know i dont, its selfish.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Do you support the deliberate disruption of people going about their daily business by putting human barriers across roads?
Its a simple yes or no. i know i dont, its selfish.

Sometimes a more direct form of action is required, but I certainly wouldn't claim that I don't support disruption of people going about their daily lives, unless it was something I was in favour of, as that seems a little hypocritical.

In answer to your question, I'm truly none too fussed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports