Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Insulate Britain protests

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I havnt noticed Brexit deliberately putting a human barrier on roads to disrupt peoples daily travel.

The Vote Leave Government don't need to put barriers across roads, they're too busy putting up barriers on trade

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Sometimes a more direct form of action is required, but I certainly wouldn't claim that I don't support disruption of people going about their daily lives, unless it was something I was in favour of, as that seems a little hypocritical.

In answer to your question, I'm truly none too fussed.

I wouldnt support any protest cause deliberately disrupting and targeting people going about their daily business by using human barriers on traffic routes , even if it was a cause i supported.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The Vote Leave Government don't need to put barriers across roads, they're too busy putting up barriers on trade

Glad you agree the government are not putting human barriers across roads to disrupt people going about their daily business.
To claim any such similarity would be false equivalence.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Selective disruption is fine, then? Glad we got that cleared-up.

When you say selective disruption you meant the issue that is relevant, ie putting human barriers across roads to disrupt people going about their daily business. And i have already confirmed i do not support that type of action.
You however have confirmed you are not fussed about this specific selfish behaviour.
Glad we got that cleared up.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
When you say selective disruption you meant the issue that is relevant, ie putting human barriers across roads to disrupt people going about their daily business. And i have already confirmed i do not support that type of action.

That's fine and no-one is suggesting you should think otherwise. :thumbsup:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Harry Potter is fiction the climate change is fact unless you feel that the scientists are wrong.

Any step to improve things by reducing temperature growth would be a step in the right direction - personally prefer the non-nuclear options but they might need to continue.

I don't think saving the planet should be empty words and personally don't think climate change is the only issue , micro plastics is also not good nor the fact that we are wiping out other species.

One point about insulation is that its not just about global warming , there are people who cannot keep their homes warm without spending so much on heating that they spend less on food..

I don't have all the answers , indeed I have many questions but anyone who on the face of it is looking to improve things is doing teh right thing in my book.

That's fair enough, but what had any of that got to do with stopping people going to work or stopping children getting to school?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I do not support the objective of deliberately disrupting people trying to do about their daily business.

me niether , what i was attempting to say was that if you want the govt. to do something then tackle the govt head on , as in outside number 10 .....don't **** about on the motorways causing grief for people who are actually trying to get to a job that they actually have .......the neuvauex intelligence , what a gargantuan oxymoron.....:tosser:

spellcheck fail alread

Last edited:

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
me niether , what i was attempting to say was that if you want the govt. to do something then tackle the govt head on , as in outside number 10 .....don't **** about on the motorways causing grief for people who are actually trying to get to a job that they actually have .......the neuvauex intelligence , what a gargantuan oxymoron.....:tosser:

spellcheck fail alread

My advice is be careful not to vote for parties who's elected members only purpose is to enlarge their bank balances (and their friends), and politicians who don't care if children go hungry, cut Nurses pay (even if they saved their life) and happily see people drown in the channel aren't going to give a fig if your house is insulated properly

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
And yet in the real world where the adults live……..

https://www.ft.com/content/83f8082b-f9af-49ce-a98f-ed44c7781be0

The EU gave the City of London a temporary reprieve on Wednesday, allowing clearing houses in Britain to continue serving customers in the bloc beyond June 2022, as a result of the EU financial services commissioner Mairead McGuinness saying that more time is needed to build up clearing capacity in the EU to cope with a relocation of euro-denominated business from London to the bloc.

So the EU have granted a temporary extension whilst they build up the capacity to take yet more Business out of the UK, as they are concerned that any short term stability could see the UK business going to the US (who have long term equivalence) rather than Frankfurt. It's all about how the EU and US are positioning themselves to get the maximum Brexit benefits from Britain :facepalm:

Shouldn't this be on the Brexit thread under Brexit benefits :dunce:

Last edited:

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
The EU gave the City of London a temporary reprieve on Wednesday, allowing clearing houses in Britain to continue serving customers in the bloc beyond June 2022, as a result of the EU financial services commissioner Mairead McGuinness saying that more time is needed to build up clearing capacity in the EU to cope with a relocation of euro-denominated business from London to the bloc.

So the EU have granted a temporary extension whilst they build up the capacity to take yet more Business out of the UK, as they are concerned that any short term stability could see the UK business going to the US (who have long term equivalence) rather than Frankfurt. It's all about how the EU and US are positioning themselves to get the maximum Brexit benefits from Britain :facepalm:

1) it’s a shame you can’t simply settle on your first view without needing to go back and edit it, it’s not helpful.
2) creating clearing capacity in the EU is effectively a pipe dream, it’s like saying all the German car manufacturers could one day simply up sticks and move their manufacturing to France. It would take years to replicate the logistical arrangements, supply chains, technical expertise/resource and most importantly the law.
3) much of the financial law in EU is based on the code napoleon, not only is the legal system analogous to financial law, there are not enough lawyers in the EU to unwind the Anglo Saxon based financial contracts. Ireland, Cyprus and Malta are exceptions.
4) the US is in a different time zone, you don't know what you are talking about.
5) I didn’t raise Brexit here, just responded you should face palm someone else.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

No need for the dunce emoji imho [emoji1745]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
They reckon that every year the amount of extra Arctic ice that melts slows the Gulf Stream to the extent that it might be permanently stopped or drastically diverted.

and when the oggen plate (ice sheet) doesn't form off iceland, the salinity doesn't rise, so the water is less dense, so it doesn't sink to the ocean bed. this is one "pump" of two in the "atlantic conveyor", which delivers us an enormous amount of thermal energy. concerning

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
1) it’s a shame you can’t simply settle on your first view without needing to go back and edit it, it’s not helpful.
2) creating clearing capacity in the EU is effectively a pipe dream, it’s like saying all the German car manufacturers could one day simply up sticks and move their manufacturing to France. It would take years to replicate the logistical arrangements, supply chains, technical expertise/resource and most importantly the law.
3) much of the financial law in EU is based on the code napoleon, not only is the legal system analogous to financial law, there are not enough lawyers in the EU to unwind the Anglo Saxon based financial contracts. Ireland, Cyprus and Malta are exceptions.
4) the US is in a different time zone, you don't know what you are talking about.
5) I didn’t raise Brexit here, just responded you should face palm someone else.

1) Whataboutism
2) Certainly nowhere near the EU's priority list for Brexit Benefits, but if Britain are giving away business to financial centres around the world for free, who wouldn't want some ?
3) That's certainly going to stop multinational business
4) I can't imagine how worldwide trade goes on with these awful time zone thingies. Maybe a sundial or two ?
5) Why would the EU be looking at a temporary extension to equivalence (or indeed, any sort of equivalence), if not for Brexit ?

Let's face it, the whole post was a complete tangent from the thread subject and a poorly thought out attempt at whataboutism.

Personally, I think the facepalm was completely justified. Sorry :shrug:

Last edited:

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
1) Whataboutism
2) Certainly nowhere near the EU's priority list for Brexit Benefits, but if Britain are giving away business to financial centres around the world for free, who wouldn't want some ?
3) That's certainly going to stop multinational business
4) I can't imagine how worldwide trade goes on with these awful time zone thingies. Maybe a sundial or two ?
5) Why would the EU be looking at a temporary extension to equivalence (or indeed, any sort of equivalence), if not for Brexit ?

Let's face it, the whole post was a complete tangent from the thread subject and a poorly thought out attempt at whataboutism.

Personally, I think the facepalm was completely justified. Sorry :shrug:

That takes some doing, a load of nonsense and you edited it…….plus ca change.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here