Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If your favourite singer committed child abuse would it put you off his/her music?

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Anyone recognise this? Led Zeppelin turned it into Stairway to heaven.

Sep 20, 2005
Anyone recognise this? Led Zeppelin turned it into Stairway to heaven.

Ooh, that's good, but I raise you this......Dazed and Confused by Jake Holmes, which Led Zeppelin refused to acknowledge they had stolen until just TWO years ago. I don't think these are the only examples either.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Ooh, that's good, but I raise you this......Dazed and Confused by Jake Holmes, which Led Zeppelin refused to acknowledge they had stolen until just TWO years ago. I don't think these are the only examples either.

Wasn't this stolen from the Yardbirds? (Jimmy Pages ex band.) He definitely isn't one to trust.
None the less, a complete steal.

Oh, just seen on wiki, Dazed and confused was stolen from Jake Holmes by the Yardbirds/Led Zeppelin.

Last edited:

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Amazed by some of the most ignorant comments I've ever read on the internet earlier in this thread. People saying the Lostprophets (whoever they are) guy's crimes "make no sense as loads of women fancied him". WTF? There are still people in the 21st Century naive enough to think paedophilia is a case of "I can't get a girlfriend, maybe I can find a kid to have sex with instead"? That's not how it works. Sex crimes at almost every level are crimes driven by violence and/or ego and/or mental illness, and as a result 'charismatic' types (such as much fancied rock stars), particularly when fed the excesses (of drugs, sex and people generally kowtowing to them) that come with such a role, are the MOST LIKELY people to commit such offenses not the least likely. If you truly want to only listen to music, watch films and read books produced by people who didn't commit sexual offences (whether discovered or not) you're going to end up with a very small library, CD and DVD collection. They're pretty much all at it. You treat people like Gods - purely on the basis of some creative industry 'talent' - and they will start acting with God-like impunity. Even the sainted John Peel was a regular shagger of teenagers (he married a 15 year old, for starters). As someone once said, there is no art without suffering, and it would be naive to imagine the cases of the Jimmy Savilles and Lostprophets guys of this world are anything but the very small tip of a very big iceberg, sadly.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Amazed by some of the most ignorant comments I've ever read on the internet earlier in this thread. People saying the Lostprophets (whoever they are) guy's crimes "make no sense as loads of women fancied him". WTF? There are still people in the 21st Century naive enough to think paedophilia is a case of "I can't get a girlfriend, maybe I can find a kid to have sex with instead"? That's not how it works. Sex crimes at almost every level are crimes driven by violence and/or ego and/or mental illness, and as a result 'charismatic' types (such as much fancied rock stars), particularly when fed the excesses (of drugs, sex and people generally kowtowing to them) that come with such a role, are the MOST LIKELY people to commit such offenses not the least likely. If you truly want to only listen to music, watch films and read books produced by people who didn't commit sexual offences (whether discovered or not) you're going to end up with a very small library, CD and DVD collection. They're pretty much all at it. You treat people like Gods - purely on the basis of some creative industry 'talent' - and they will start acting with God-like impunity. Even the sainted John Peel was a regular shagger of teenagers (he married a 15 year old, for starters). As someone once said, there is no art without suffering, and it would be naive to imagine the cases of the Jimmy Savilles and Lostprophets guys of this world are anything but the very small tip of a very big iceberg, sadly.

Indeed, and at a time when government and judicial policy is failing to act as a deterrent. Without going too far off-topic, I think the age of consent is close to being lowered; and jail sentences for convicted nonces are far too lenient (in line with government guidelines). And then you have Police forces failing to act on tip-offs and leads to prevent these crimes occurring.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Indeed, and at a time when government and judicial policy is failing to act as a deterrent. Without going too far off-topic, I think the age of consent is close to being lowered; and jail sentences for convicted nonces are far too lenient (in line with government guidelines). And then you have Police forces failing to act on tip-offs and leads to prevent these crimes occurring.

Isn't the age on consent getting lowered to 15? Coincidence that loads of high profile people including MPs are getting caught for child abuse right now.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Isn't the age on consent getting lowered to 15? Coincidence that loads of high profile people including MPs are getting caught for child abuse right now.
Just to clarify, are you suggesting that it is being proposed that the age of consent be lowered because some high profile MPs are getting caught for child abuse?

Or am I just unfairly presuming some more of your amusing tin-foil hattery?

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Just to clarify, are you suggesting that it is being proposed that the age of consent be lowered because some high profile MPs are getting caught for child abuse?

Or am I just unfairly presuming some more of your amusing tin-foil hattery?

No I never said that. I just think it's a coincidence that in an era where there has never been so many high profile pedophiles arrested, the government decides to lower down the age of consent.
Do you not see the coincidence there?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
No I never said that. I just think it's a coincidence that in an era where there has never been so many high profile pedophiles arrested, the government decides to lower down the age of consent.
Do you not see the coincidence there?

And the coincidence of Stonewall becoming ever more influential in daily life when they in the past advocated lowering the age of homosexual consent to 14, i seem to recall.

But hey its Benjamin Britten's centenary this year and that old nonce was never convicted nor was his lover Pter Pears. So are all the Glyndebourne "luvvies" guilty as well?

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
And the coincidence of Stonewall becoming ever more influential in daily life when they in the past advocated lowering the age of homosexual consent to 14, i seem to recall.

But hey its Benjamin Britten's centenary this year and that old nonce was never convicted nor was his lover Pter Pears. So are all the Glyndebourne "luvvies" guilty as well?

An investigation would be nice.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ricky Gervais: "Didn't see many 16 year olds on the march..."

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
On the original question, I think it would put me off to a degree.

Never a big Gary Glitter fan but deleted leader of the gang from IPod - just sounds creepy now.
Big Who fan - and I hope that Townshend was innocent. Always thought that Tommy was born from some fairly unpleasant - thought that Townshend may have been a victim.
Big Stones fan - This one's a bit like football. I love football but dislike many footballers
Jerry Lee Lewis - recorded some classics - so I'm probably a bit of a hypocrite
Lostprophets - No ,luckily I'm too old - were they any good?

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Mary was pregnant with Jesus at 14 and married a divorced man with two of his own kids.

Just to keep the thread in perspective, unlike the majority of other instances mentioned above, this one involving the Lost Prophets singer involved actively abusing babies and infants. That's the dark reality that separates people like Glitter and Jackson from this more recent perv.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Just to keep the thread in perspective, unlike the majority of other instances mentioned above, this one involving the Lost Prophets singer involved actively abusing babies and infants. That's the dark reality that separates people like Glitter and Jackson from this more recent perv.

I don't think Glitter and Jackson are quite in the same boat, IMO.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I seem to remember hearing something on the radio last week about a recommendation or suggestion that the age of consent be lowered. They also commented that it is highly unlikely to happen.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
I seem to remember hearing something on the radio last week about a recommendation or suggestion that the age of consent be lowered. They also commented that it is highly unlikely to happen.

I do hope so. It's shocking that the idea is even being suggested!

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I was discussing this with Mrs Grombleton last night. We've got some Lostprophets albums and i do like some of their songs. I was never a 'fan' per se, as i found them to be rather egotistical and i thought they were a bit pants (always preferred Funeral For a Friend when it comes to welsh rock acts).

Now all this has come out...it feels really weird listening to them. Haven't decided whether i'll keep or lose the LP albums we have. They might be first in line if we need some emergency coasters.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I'm fairly right wing, but can't help but love rage against the machine. But with lostprophets, that's different. My first ever album I bought was start something in 2003, never will I buy or listen to it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I do hope so. It's shocking that the idea is even being suggested!

Is it? When the age of consent IS 15 (even 14) in lots of countries, and 1 in 3 English people have sex by 15?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here