Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If your favourite singer committed child abuse would it put you off his/her music?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I would imagine there are an awful lot of music industry people who are dreading the knock on the front door these days. I doubt they asked for ID from many of the groupies they encouraged in the 60s, 70s and 80s and can never be sure when one of them decides to make a complaint, however "consensual" things may have seemed at the time.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
My ex was a regular at Gary Glitters xmas tour shows, she dropped him like a stone when the news broke and was never mentioned again. I personally have a little guilt when I hear anything by Bill Wyman.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
I'd be gutted if one of my favourites turned out to be a paedophile, it would definatley spoil my listening pleasure. Luckily I think Lostprophets were tripe though.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You should know never to argue with TLO if the subject inolves The Green Party, The Who or lamb shanks :smile:

Or the FACT that the Greens are making it much harder for motorists in Brighton.

You know which subject I get WAYYY too touchy about and really should just leave well alone...

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It is all a bit odd where people draw a line.

Gary Glitter is obviously never played on the radio or tv anymore but Polanski's films still are, and he got a very odd standing ovation at the Oscars a few years ago in his absence.

The BBC are reshowing Top of the Pops now. They don't show Jimmy Saville or Dave Lee Travis (who are alleged sexual offenders) but they do show Jonathan King (who has a conviction for sexual assualt)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It is all a bit odd where people draw a line.

Gary Glitter is obviously never played on the radio or tv anymore but Polanski's films still are, and he got a very odd standing ovation at the Oscars a few years ago in his absence.

The BBC are reshowing Top of the Pops now. They don't show Jimmy Saville or Dave Lee Travis (who are alleged sexual offenders) but they do show Jonathan King (who has a conviction for sexual assualt)

Yes, this is very odd indeed, although the case has never come before court, mostly because RP legged it to France, the allegations are somewhat lurid, yet Hollywood has closed ranks and seemingly support him.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes, this is very odd indeed, although the case has never come before court, mostly because RP legged it to France, the allegations are somewhat lurid, yet Hollywood has closed ranks and seemingly support him.

Just read into it, he paid off the girl (now woman) and she has stated that she's had much more emotional distress from the press and the judge in charge of the case than anything Polanski ever did to her. Which is interesting.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just read into it, he paid off the girl (now woman) and she has stated that she's had much more emotional distress from the press and the judge in charge of the case than anything Polanski ever did to her. Which is interesting.

Thats odd, I won't repeat what the charges relate to but the allegations are on a par with some of the worst cases that I have heard in the last couple of years .

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Thats odd, I won't repeat what the charges relate to but the allegations are on a par with some of the worst cases that I have heard in the last couple of years .

During a television interview on 10 March 2011, Geimer blamed the media, reporters, the court, and the judge for causing "way more damage to [her] and her family than anything Roman Polanski has ever done," and stated that the judge was using her and a noted celebrity for his own personal gain from the media exposure.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
During a television interview on 10 March 2011, Geimer blamed the media, reporters, the court, and the judge for causing "way more damage to [her] and her family than anything Roman Polanski has ever done," and stated that the judge was using her and a noted celebrity for his own personal gain from the media exposure.

All I can say is that if I had been the accused person at the centre of this allegation I would be immensely relieved by that statement. However, RP remains in France and had a little scare a little while back when he hopped out of the country for an awards ceremony when there was an attempt to detain him and send him to the US. Until this is all brought out in court the stigma remains.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If your favourite singer committed child abuse would it put you off his/her m...

I'd be gutted if one of my favourites turned out to be a paedophile, it would definatley spoil my listening pleasure. Luckily.

I think you're safe with The Nolan Sisters though.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If your favourite singer committed child abuse would it put you off his/her m...

To be fair Gary Glitter was a prolific predator paedophile - Polanski "only" had sex with a minor once in the 70's, which apparently can be swept under the carpet.

I'm just glad Margaret Thatcher never released any albums given the number of miners she ****ed in the 80's.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It has not yet happened that a musician I like has been accused in this way. I think it would have an effect on the way I viewed them, but may not turn me off completely. Although it was before my time, did not both Jerry Lee Lewis and Chuck Berry have "issues", although nothing so sordid as baby rape.

I would be much more likely to be affected by people's politics, particularly if it influences their music. I am likely to warm to things that have a social or justice undertone. If someone were to make a record about what a good bunch of people bankers are, and that greed is good, I would not be likely to buy it.

I like Billy Bragg, but would understand why many people would not.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It has not yet happened that a musician I like has been accused in this way. I think it would have an effect on the way I viewed them, but may not turn me off completely. Although it was before my time, did not both Jerry Lee Lewis and Chuck Berry have "issues", although nothing so sordid as baby rape.

I would be much more likely to be affected by people's politics, particularly if it influences their music. I am likely to warm to things that have a social or justice undertone. If someone were to make a record about what a good bunch of people bankers are, and that greed is good, I would not be likely to buy it.

I like Billy Bragg, but would understand why many people would not.

According to wikipedia:

Jerry Lee Lewis married his 13 year old cousin (once removed). The marriage lasted 13 years.

Chuck Berry spent three years in prison for transporting a 14 year old girl across state lines there were "questionable accusations" that he had sex with her, and his appeal of his first trial on the grounds of racial comments from the judge prejudicing the jury was upheld, but he was found guilty in his second trial,. He only served half the sentence. (He also spent time in a young man's reformatory for armed robbery - he was accused of robbing three stores and staling a car at gunpoint, in his autobiography he claims his car broke down and he flagged down a car and stole it with an imaginary gun)

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Bill Wyman 52 Mandy Smith 14 was dodgy and I am surprised he got away with that, it's Jimmy Savile territory.

Anyone else would have been locked up, can't say I am a fan of his or the Rolling Stones, it's all about their own ego.

It's probably worse than the teacher Jeremy Forrest, 31, running off with his 15 year old pupil.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
I'm a big Led Zeppelin fan. For me they are the most gifted band who are all extremely talented on their instruments. Up until recently i've found out Jimmy Page had a 14 year old girlfriend whilst the band were going. There's even rumours Page had her locked in some sort of cell in his house!. They had a song called 'hat's of to Roy harper' so it sadly seems the conspiracies about Zeppelin may be true.
The more dodgy stuff I've found out about Led Zeppelin the more I've questioned them. It seems Zeppelin had a lot of music scouts working for them who were sent in and around south USA stealing a lot of material from unsigned artists and sending it Led Zeppelins way. Apparently even Stairways to heaven isn't their own track! (I'll try and find the original). It's terrible to find this out (I have all their albums) but makes you question the honesty of the music industry and who's running it?
I wouldn't rule out other bands like the Who, The stones and the Beatles all using similar tricks to steal music and even hide their 'bad habits'.
John Lennon really didn't like his life in the Beatles. He rebelled heavily from it. Heather Mills claims that she knows a secret about the Beatles which would shock the world. Maybe Ringo's voice for Thomas the tank engine was actually George Harrison!? Who knows, but I definitely have my suspicions.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here