Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I am NOT a Poyet fan. There I have said it.

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
Not fickle at all. Still going to games which is more than a lot of Albion fans...

Just, as I said above, I think myself and a lot of others were perhaps blind to the impact Dennis Wise had on matchdays when the two were a team.

Who was blind to it?

Everyone knew Wise's success was largely due to the coaching of Gus alongside him.

This is Gus's FIRST managerial job. If you really think he is going to be able to turn a team that has been languishing in and around the relegation zone for the last two years into a top half league one team in a few months then you are deluded.

The improvement is evident. Let's give him till the end of the season at a minimum before these stupid threads are made.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
100% agree with everything you said, Walt Jabasco. We're lop sided completely, and if you're going to ignore the left wing then you should have an attacking left back in the side to atleast attempt to add some balance, which McNulty would. And I agree, moving Bennett to right back when we're chasing a game is just daft, though it works if we can get him forward on the overlap.

I don't like alot of what he says, either. He moans an awful lot about football in England (deal with it) and I don't like the sarcastic way he refers to the Withdean and to our training facilities. They've not changed, they were like this when he took the job.

On the plus side though, I LOVED his ranting on the touchline yesterday. Real emotion and real commitment, that's what we all want to see. He bought himself a LOT of credit from me with his antics on the touchline yesterday.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Exactly, I was as excited as anyone. Not shying away from that. Just makes it a bit more disappointing now though...

I just think maybe we all (me included) underestimated the influence of Dennis Wise on matchdays.

My point was that you had huge expectations. The season is far from being over.

Remember Wilkins' first season? It was his first crack at being number one and he inherited a team low on confidence and was not able to shape the pre-season himself or create the squad he wanted. In fact, Wilkins had the benefit of knowing the players and club inside out.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Who was blind to it?

Everyone knew Wise's success was largely due to the coaching of Gus alongside him.

This is Gus's FIRST managerial job. If you really think he is going to be able to turn a team that has been languishing in and around the relegation zone for the last two years into a top half league one team in a few months then you are deluded.

The improvement is evident. Let's give him till the end of the season at a minimum before these stupid threads are made.

Fancy replying to this rather excellent point, Walt?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Who was blind to it?

Absolutely spot on.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
The Withdean results are just getting annoying now, at the end of the day it is just a pitch and the players are rewarded well enough to be able to get results on it.

On the left winger point, Withdean is a very narrow pitch, so 2 wingers does not always make sense. If you look last season and in 2004 when we did have decent runs at Withdean we had a target man playing (Owusu and Iwelumo). Sadly direct football is probably the way forward at Withdean and so you need somebody that will hold the ball up and the second striker to play close to the target man. Neither of those things are happening at present.

Stoaty Ferret

Jul 11, 2003
Brighton
I think Gus was initially trying to shore up a defence shipping 3's and 4's and thats why we have Painter over Mcnulty and three centre midfielders. I think he is trying to get in that left winger over next 24 hours to give us balance and that will enable us to mix it up a bit more in midfield and attack. We played some good neat football yesterday before Navarro went off injured and I felt Gus's biggest mistake yesterday was going 4-3-3 as we just tended to revert to lumping the ball forward from the back to Dickinson and Murray hoping something drops for them and by-passing the midfield. Calderon looks a good signing and will get better the more fitter he gets.

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Apologies in advance, however, I dont think some of the contributors on here have a bleeding clue about the beautiful game.

Our passing game has improved 100% since Poyet took over and for once instead of passing the buck on the edge of the box we are having attempts on goal.

For those on this site that cant see that we have got ourselves a hell of coup in getting Poyet, just sod off up the road to Croydon.

They could do with some more cash coming through the turnstiles.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
The Withdean results are just getting annoying now, at the end of the day it is just a pitch and the players are rewarded well enough to be able to get results on it.

On the left winger point, Withdean is a very narrow pitch, so 2 wingers does not always make sense. If you look last season and in 2004 when we did have decent runs at Withdean we had a target man playing (Owusu and Iwelumo). Sadly direct football is probably the way forward at Withdean and so you need somebody that will hold the ball up and the second striker to play close to the target man. Neither of those things are happening at present.

I go along with this.

Away from home we have improved considerably.

At Withdean, under Poyet, we have scored one goal in seven and a half hours of league football. That is an incredible statistic.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
WJ, always with the dramas.

Seriously, less than 20 games into his managerial career and some of you have decided that he's not a manager but a better number 2. Jesus wept :facepalm:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
- Full-backs 'tucking in' alongside central defenders. A very Premiership way of defending but since Poyet has come in, our full-backs hardly attack and play very narrow when defending. I guess the feeling it you force people wide rather than inside and running at Elphick and Virgo, but we are surrending too much space in wide positions.

I don't agree with most of what you say as I think McNulty has not been the same since he came back from injury and Painter looked okay yesterday. Also, Virgo has been solid since he came back and deserves his place. He played well on Saturday except for the one mistake.

However, this point was the one I really wanted to pick up on. Have you seen Calderon play at all? The two games I have seen him play he has got forward a lot and been one of our main threats. I don't see how you can say our full backs are not attacking as he is probably one of the most attacking full backs we have had in the twenty years I have watched.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Im going to be honest. If Slade had stayed in charge I reckon we would still be where we are now - so has Poyet really, really made any difference?

We still cant win at home, our away form is ok, we are playing some good stuff, we are giving silly goals away...all the stuff we said under Salde.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
I am trying to get my head round this one,"We are a thousand times better" so we should be running away with this league,yet a check shows we are one place above the relegation zone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here