Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I am NOT a Poyet fan. There I have said it.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Well, maybe that is a bit strong. The man himself is clearly brilliant in a madcap sort of way.

I also appreciate he is a superb coach.

But I have to say I have been less than won over by his tactics. By NO means am I sticking the boot in and declaring he should be sacked. Hopefully things will come good and nobody would be happier than me if it was under Poyet.

I just think a few people are getting a little carried away.

Results have gotten slightly better on the face of it. But they couldn't have gotten any worse.

Concerns:

- I really do not like the lop-sided way we line up - especially at home. Murray thrives on balls into the box. With no natural width on one side, Murray is relying more on long balls forward to flick on. We should be getting the ball wide, using the width and getting crosses in. We just do not put teams under sustained pressure.

- Painter over McNulty? The loanee only crossed the half way line about three times yesterday, where-as Jimmy has set up some important goals this season by getting forward. On the evidence so far, Painter is not better. You could probably say the same for Hoyte and Whing.

- Full-backs 'tucking in' alongside central defenders. A very Premiership way of defending but since Poyet has come in, our full-backs hardly attack and play very narrow when defending. I guess the feeling it you force people wide rather than inside and running at Elphick and Virgo, but we are surrending too much space in wide positions.

That is just for starters.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Oh, and moving Bennett to right back whenever we are chasing a goal. That would be Bennett, our most creative player and best crosser.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Brilliant coach? Sounds like he is. Cracking bloke? Clearly. Manager material? I think he maybe needs a Wise alongside him still.

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
No one gives a shit whether you are a Poyet fan. Tony Bloom obviously is and that's what matters.

His first ever management job was never going to be easy, but once he keeps us up this year he will have had gained valuable experience for our promotion push next year :clap:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Everything you say is bull shit, Tunnicliffe is nowhere near as good as Virgo, Painter is better than McNulty, Murray & Forster were shite yesterday, nothing to do with the way we play.

Has WW hacked your account?

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
On a slightly more serious note, I think you have a point about his tactics, although I think we're definitely playing much more attractive football.

With all the talk of our surplus of strikers, and not withstanding Murray's 4 goals the other week, I think we still lack a really talented, out-and-out goal scorer.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Agreed we are playing more attractive football. I just think some of the tactics are a bit strange.

Better than Slade certainly.

Still not good enough though. Especially at home.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Three months ago...

Gustavo Augusto Poyet Domínguez

What an absolulte BEAUTY.

Possibly the single most exiciting managerial appointment in this fine club's history.

Anthony Bloom, I salute you.

Couldn't find him anywhere on it, so put a request in and Bobs your uncle they have added him.

gus_poyet_gaffer.gif

I am getting a Uruguay blue colour one with his full name (Gustavo Augusto Gus Poyet Domínguez) underneath.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Exactly, I was as excited as anyone. Not shying away from that. Just makes it a bit more disappointing now though...

I just think maybe we all (me included) underestimated the influence of Dennis Wise on matchdays.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Not fickle at all. Still going to games which is more than a lot of Albion fans...

Just, as I said above, I think myself and a lot of others were perhaps blind to the impact Dennis Wise had on matchdays when the two were a team.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I agree on the Bennett issue. Fair enough, he wants to go for it, but I'd say we have more chance of scoring with Bennett in midfield and two up front than Bennett at rightback and Dickinson up front. Also I think a defence is best off settled, so taking Painter off, switiching Calderon to the left and Bennett to the right seems like unnecessary tinkering.

Also Dicker on the wing is a waste of time, play him in the middle or don't play him at all.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Exactly, I was as excited as anyone. Not shying away from that. Just makes it a bit more disappointing now though...

I just think maybe we all (me included) underestimated the influence of Dennis Wise on matchdays.

f*** OFF, we were unbeaten in 4 league game before yesterday, get a f***ing grip of yourself, we are a thousand times better as a team than when he took charge, as for your point about Virgo, he has made one mistake in about 4 games now, Tunnicliffe is terrible positionally and is not as good as people like to think.:bla:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Not fickle at all. Still going to games which is more than a lot of Albion fans...

Just, as I said above, I think myself and a lot of others were perhaps blind to the impact Dennis Wise had on matchdays when the two were a team.

I was a bit mah when they appointed him, I think he is an excellent coach but he isnt a manager.

I wanted spurs to keep him on as a coach.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
As I said, I am not starting a Poyet Out drive or anything near that. Im still fully behind him and hoping he can do well.

I just think there are a few questionmarks over some of his tactics which people are glossing over.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here