Hyypia or Hantz?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hyypia or Hantz

• Total voters

Stumpy Tim

No, whoever is most likely to deliver PROMOTION is who we want. Unfortunately l have grave doubts that either of this sorry duo can.

There is no manager that can guarantee promotion. The reason I like this French chap is because he's done it twice in France, under similar financial circumstances to us. That's all the convinces me he's the better of the two

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Gone for Hyypia but wouldn't be upset with Hantz. Tough call to be fair.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Fred for me. Greater experience and success on a tight budget.

The budget is going to be a key factor, imo. Yes, we look very attractive to prospective managers, but we aren't going to splash the cash to get promoted.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
You imagine the thought process is something like:

Hyypia: Big name, glamorous, knows the English game, speaks fluent English, already managed at a very high level.

Hantz: Low-key, record of success at lower levels, less likely to piss off at the first opportunity (speculative that one).

You can also dress that up like this,,

Hyypia,,Big name, glamorous, knows the English game, speaks fluent English, already managed at a very high level, Champions league winner, will be attractive to potential signings(they will have heard of him and respect him, players are like that), sure to have good connections in England. May well piss off at the first opportunity( but that will mean he has done well),

Hantz,,Low -key, cheaper, record of success at lower level( probably even lower than Scotland and people would have a fit if we appointed Lennon. On that basis we might as well get Martin Allen, or get Micky Adams back), will not attract top players, probably just as likely to piss of if he did do well as his profile would rise, can't speak English, doesn't know the English game....

True neither of them tick all the boxes, but one ticks a lot more than the other. Although one suspects, one is a lot cheaper than the other.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
You can also dress that up like this,,

Hyypia,,Big name, glamorous, knows the English game, speaks fluent English, already managed at a very high level, Champions league winner, will be attractive to potential signings(they will have heard of him and respect him, players are like that), sure to have good connections in England. May well piss off at the first opportunity( but that will mean he has done well),

Hantz,,Low -key, cheaper, record of success at lower level( probably even lower than Scotland and people would have a fit if we appointed Lennon. On that basis we might as well get Martin Allen, or get Micky Adams back), will not attract top players, probably just as likely to piss of if he did do well as his profile would rise, can't speak English, doesn't know the English game....

True neither of them tick all the boxes, but one ticks a lot more than the other. Although one suspects, one is a lot cheaper than the other.

Can Hantz really not speak English?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Can Hantz really not speak English?

Apparently he can be fluent in 3/4 months!!!!...It would be a crazy appointment, French lower leagues compared to the Bundesliga. Imagine an agent with a player..."Sammi Hyypia wants you at Brighton.........Really, Sammi Hyypia, that's interesting I think I will hear what he has got to say"..........."Fred Hantz wants you at Brighton.......Who?"

Last edited:

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I think we are lucky he is not called Mike Huntz

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I know I've said it before but I don't think attacking football is in the albion "project" plan. Both the last two managers have been "build slowly from the back" and I see that pretty much continuing, and I expect them to appoint someone to do it more or less. Not saying I agree, just seems to ge the way we are going.

But half the team has gone. Which suggests a change in attitude to me.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Apparently he can be fluent in 3/4 months!!!!...It would be a crazy appointment, French lower leagues compared to the Bundesliga. Imagine an agent with a player..."Sammi Hyypia wants you at Brighton.........Really, Sammi Hyypia, that's interesting I think I will hear what he has got to say"..........."Fred Hantz wants you at Brighton.......Who?"

So he can speak some then? Southampton seemed to do fairly well with a guy who couldn't speak any.

I don't agree on the argument about the levels they've managed at, plenty of poor managers have managed in the Premier League, and plenty of excellent managers have managed in the Championship and League 1. And Hantz's achievements seem more impressive than Hypia's who seemed to struggle when managing by himself.

I think I'm in the Hantz camp, but I wouldn't be too disappointed with Hypia.

Either way you must be gutted, we're not going for an Englishman and we aren't going to boot it to the big man.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Ligue Un compared to the Bundesliga, wasn't it?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

He's managed in the top league in France for two years. I'd imagine that French players will know him pretty well.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
So he can speak some then? Southampton seemed to do fairly well with a guy who couldn't speak any.

I don't agree on the argument about the levels they've managed at, plenty of poor managers have managed in the Premier League, and plenty of excellent managers have managed in the Championship and League 1. And Hantz's achievements seem more impressive than Hypia's who seemed to struggle when managing by himself.

I think I'm in the Hantz camp, but I wouldn't be too disappointed with Hypia.

Either way you must be gutted, we're not going for an Englishman and we aren't going to boot it to the big man.

Change the record will you. I'd like to see where I have ever said I wanted it launched to the big man, or do you just add that bit for humor value?.. Being more attacking and direct does not mean that. If you honestly think we are going to keep playing the same way, I think your in for a shock......I don't believe for one second Bloom would be crazy enough to appoint Hantz.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
He's managed in the top league in France for two years. I'd imagine that French players will know him pretty well.

So you would be happy swapping a Spanish revolution that didn't work, for a French one that won't work either?......There is nothing wrong with trying to be different, but just doing it for doing it's sake is a bit stupid.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Change the record will you. I'd like to see where I have ever said I wanted it launched to the big man, or do you just add that bit for humor value?.. Being more attacking and direct does not mean that. If you honestly think we are going to keep playing the same way, I think your in for a shock......I don't believe for one second Bloom would be crazy enough to appoint Hantz.

I added it in for humour value.

Hantz is clearly in the running, and Bloom wouldn't have interviewed him if he wasn't prepared to appoint him in principal.

You were behind the Oscar appointment at the beginning, until it all started to go so horribly wrong and we were the worst team on the planet, so bad in fact that he ended up hitting the exact target that he was set at the start of the season, so I dread to think what you'll be like if we appoint someone who you are against from the start.

Hantz has won promotion with two clubs to the French top flight and has experience managing there. He's more experienced than Poyet was, and more experienced than Oacar was. We're a second tier club ourselves, what's the problem? I'd so much rather we went for someone like him than one of the usual managerial merry-go-round dinosaurs. Wouldn't you rather support a forward thinking club that's trying to do something different and move with the times? (I know the answer, after all, you want Mick McCarthy in charge).

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I added it in for humour value.

Hantz is clearly in the running, and Bloom wouldn't have interviewed him if he wasn't prepared to appoint him in principal.

You were behind the Oscar appointment at the beginning, until it all started to go so horribly wrong and we were the worst team on the planet, so bad in fact that he ended up hitting the exact target that he was set at the start of the season, so I dread to think what you'll be like if we appoint someone who you are against from the start.

Hantz has won promotion with two clubs to the French top flight and has experience managing there. He's more experienced than Poyet was, and more experienced than Oacar was. We're a second tier club ourselves, what's the problem? I'd so much rather we went for someone like him than one of the usual managerial merry-go-round dinosaurs. Wouldn't you rather support a forward thinking club that's trying to do something different and move with the times? (I know the answer, after all, you want Mick McCarthy in charge).

Move with the times?...Ok honest question, what did you think of the football Burnley played this season?

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
Hantz , he seems to of been succesful as a manager and less of a risk.

Hyypia for me is to unproven (the Success in germany I keep reading it was down to the joint manager)

we don't know how either would do, but we do know that hanz did quite well in a crap league and hypia did alright for a bit in a strong league. as hypia has great experience in this country and may have contacts at liverpool he gets my vote

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports