Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hyypia or Hantz?

Hyypia or Hantz

• Total voters

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
By the sound of it Hyypia needs a good no 2 to work alongside him, does this mean Jones?!

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Hantz' achievements are more impressive but obviously Hyypia is more of a box office name.

I can't see either would have any particularly alluring connections to draw upon however. But is that even a factor, given our set up? If the manager is just coming in to manage, then surely we just pick the one with the best record.

Hantz has a 37% win ratio at Bastia, over four seasons, whereas Hyypia's win rate is higher, but over a far shorter spell and with a much bigger club with greater resources.

To be honest, I think Hantz having won two titles should be the deciding factor. I appreciate the second and third tiers of French football aren't necessarily the most competitive leagues on earth, but he's still done the job and a title win is a title win, unless it's in Scotland where there is zero competition.

Might not be the most fashionable name in the world but he does have honours, he does have experience and if he interviews well then that's good enough for me.

....and that is for me the reason I would have Hyypia over Hantz. Who knows what either manager will be like but, on balance, I would have the manager who is going to get players wanting to sign for us (and blimey do we need a few) and I don't think Hantz is much of a 'draw'.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
By the sound of it Hyypia needs a good no 2 to work alongside him, does this mean Jones?!

Possibly. Whereas Hantz has his own backroom staff he would bring in. Maybe this is a factor, that Hyypia would work with jones, but Hantz would want his own team and that would be more money on wages for the club.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
....and that is for me the reason I would have Hyypia over Hantz. Who knows what either manager will be like but, on balance, I would have the manager who is going to get players wanting to sign for us (and blimey do we need a few) and I don't think Hantz is much of a 'draw'.

That's a very good point... although coaching them (and the ones we already have) is at least as important too, of course. Unless one is happy to leave a lot of the coaching to the backroom team.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If it's Hantz will he be bringing his two assistants from Bastia, Kevin Kneez and Doug Boompzadaizy?

(Sorry. I voted Hyypia btw)

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Bastia can lay a claim to the population of Corsica, which is about the same as the Isle of Wight, although almost certain to be less doddery.

Isle of Wight, Population 138,400
Corsica Population 322,120

Not really about the same is it? More than twice the size. Also Corsica has two teams at league level in Bastia as well as two in Ajaccio. So not really comparable to the Isle of Wight.

They are both surrounded by water though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I hadn't realised Corsica was on a par with the Pile of Shite population wise. Seems odd then that it supports TWO top flight clubs (Ajaccio and Bastia) in France, a country with a greater population than the UK, let alone England, whilst our own Isle of Wight's biggest club ply their trade in the Wessex League, which must be about 15 tiers down from the top level.

Wessex league is the ninth level. The first level of (semi)-pro.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Hantz for me. Has been in difficult circumstances before and overcome them to achieve success. Hyypia was at a bigger club and couldn't overcome a poor run or form.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Hyypia for me by a long way. Yes, the other guy's credentials sound good, but Hyypia has managed in what is normally a pretty robust league (okay Bayern Munich ran away with it last season, but that doesn't normally happen), which for me obviates a lot of the "no experience of the Championship" concerns. I fear with Hantz that we may be stuck with a lot of the Oscar issues again - wasn't Oscar supposed to have impressed Tony with his research into the Championship, bringing along DVDs, etc? The trouble is you don't always get what you think you are going to get from interviews. I have done jobs where I thought I was fitted for the role, those interviewing me thought I was far and away the best candidate and it turned into a complete nightmare. Hence I now work as a residential property administrator for a church, rather than as a Civil Servant. Of course FH might be just what we're looking for, but I'd be far happier with SH.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Hantz record is far more impressive. He gets my vote.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Wessex league is the ninth level. The first level of (semi)-pro.

Intriguing. It's still a long way down the football pyramid though.

However as it turns out the initial population figure quoted was wildly inaccurate it's now less of a surprise. In fact the island is home to less than half the population of Brighton. Besides, the islanders are considerably closer to the British mainland, and professional clubs Portsmouth and Southampton, than Corsica is from the French mainland and its league clubs.

MYSTERY SOLVED

If it ever was a mystery.

Which it wasn't

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Fred for me. Greater experience and success on a tight budget.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Hantz, on the grounds that I'd never heard of him before this week and a French manager would make us even more COSMOPOLITAN.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I have just been told by a source that was proved right over Gus going and Oscars appointment, that it is between Hughton and Hyypia, make of that what you will,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here