Votes: 46 17.2%
  • Neither positively or negatively

Votes: 19 7.1%

• Total voters

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Am I missing something blatantly obvious here. If you're sacked for gross misconduct and don't agree, then you take your former employers to the employment tribunal, and there are laid out timescales & procedures to follow. You can't take your employers to court. In theory, if the employment tribunal found in your favour, you could then sue for defamation of character and so on.

There is a debate whether Poyet, on a fixed term contract, has a legal case under employment law, or under contract law.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Am I missing something blatantly obvious here. If you're sacked for gross misconduct and don't agree, then you take your former employers to the employment tribunal, and there are laid out timescales & procedures to follow. You can't take your employers to court. In theory, if the employment tribunal found in your favour, you could then sue for defamation of character and so on.

IF GP takes the club to court it will be for breach of contract, plain and simple.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Yep you are missing something, Gus had an opportunity resign with a payoff with or be sacked for gross misconduct. He chose to be sacked and then complained about it.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Obviously IF he's sure he did nothing wrong, then an offer of anything below a million would've been seen as an insult, and rightly turned down. The club signed him on a contract, and that contract represents a promise to pay that £3m or so.

That same contract also represents a commitment on the part of Poyet to manage the club for 3 years, or however long the term was.

In the aftermath of the Palace defeat, Poyet said:-

I don't think anyone is going to disagree. Is there something more? Right now I don't know, so I need to make sure that I know there is, because if not I am not going to stay forever. It doesn't matter how many years contract you have signed.

That sounds to me like someone who is willing to break a contract when it suits him. I wonder if he offered to reimburse the club for wanting to break his contract, when he 'phoned Tony Bloom in March and stated he wanted gone in the summer (or tomorrow, if it suited)?

Poyet hints at Albion exit after play-off defeat

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
[yt]tVnhgIAA7jc[/yt]

This will be my over riding memory. Its a shame, he did wonders for us really.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
That same contract also represents a commitment on the part of Poyet to manage the club for 3 years, or however long the term was.

That sounds to me like someone who is willing to break a contract when it suits him. I wonder if he offered to reimburse the club for wanting to break his contract, when he 'phoned Tony Bloom in March and stated he wanted gone in the summer (or tomorrow, if it suited)?

Something which GP denies ever happened and will be part of any future court case.

As he said, "So how can you explain that somebody says to you he wants to leave and a week later he has got the chance to go to a Premiership club with a better deal, with a better project and he stays? It's not common sense, that's for sure."

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
[yt]tVnhgIAA7jc[/yt]

This will be my over riding memory. Its a shame, he did wonders for us really.

Having watched that again and taking into account what had just happened, we are well shot IMO.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Something which GP denies ever happened and will be part of any future court case.

As he said, "So how can you explain that somebody says to you he wants to leave and a week later he has got the chance to go to a Premiership club with a better deal, with a better project and he stays? It's not common sense, that's for sure."

I think the Reading episode will be fully explained to all if ever this goes to court. The full, and complete story is not out there yet.

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I will probably remember Poyet by reading daily rhreads about him on here and articles in the Argus online for years to come :shrug:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Sounds to me like someone who has been around football for at least five minutes. Seriously, contracts in football are virtually worthless, we all know that.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Reading were nailed on to be relegated - better project or Poyet spin?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I think the Reading episode will be fully explained to all if ever this goes to court. The full, and complete story is not out there yet, only a vague summary.

I agree.

So much is quoted as fact because one side or the other has said it is or because something has been repeated so often - best to stand back a little and take it all with a big pinch of salt unless or until the true facts come out in court.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
PICT_20130926_132801.JPG

Something to take ones mind off all these threads on Poyet...taken today whilst having something from that roadside cafe A27 Lancing

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Poyet was conspicuously quiet on the touchlines at virtually all of the games during the run-in at the end of last season. At that's before you get to the play-offs when he showed no passion at all. Yet previously he could be relied on for the occasional animated outburst.

Initially I put this down to him relaxing during our superb run of form but after the play offs I concluded it had more to do with his personal agenda since around late March and his heart no longer being with us.

With that in mind I give even more credit to the players for that amazing run of form and far less to Poyet than I did at that time. Pity he did not find the motivation to inspire the players when they needed a lift in the 2nd leg. I think if I was on the Sunderland board I would grilling Poyet over that very point.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Well, it seemed to make perfect sense to Mauricio Taricco on April 2nd, in the Argus:

I thought it was pretty simple. We’ve got a long-term contract and no disrespect to
Reading — but it was Reading.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Sounds to me like someone who has been around football for at least five minutes. Seriously, contracts in football are virtually worthless, we all know that.

The point is, they won't ensure that two parties remain together for the length of the contract, but they do provide for security and financial compensation if either side wishes to break the contract. Poyet wanted to break the contract; was he prepared to pay the financial consequences of that decision? (Because I am sure he wouldn't have been prepared to accept no pay-off if the club had broken the contract).

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Well, it seemed to make perfect sense to Mauricio Taricco on April 2nd, in the Argus:

I don't see the relevancy, I've never seen any suggestion that he had asked to cancel his contract - if you apply his comment to GP then it would, if anything, reinforce the idea that he hadn't previously asked to leave.

I thought it was pretty simple. We’ve got a long-term contract and no disrespect to
Reading — but it was Reading.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I don't see the relevancy, I've never seen any suggestion that he had asked to cancel his contract - if you apply his comment to GP then it would, if anything, reinforce the idea that he hadn't previously asked to leave.

You don't see the relevancy?

You highlighted Poyet's comment that it would make no sense to have told Bloom he wanted to leave in the summer, but then turn down Reading. However, when Taricco was asked about the Reading speculation (a few days after it happened), he implied that Reading would hold no interest for them (he used the word "we", clearly indicating he was talking about Poyet and himself).

The fact that Poyet turned down Reading (if, indeed, it was ever offered to him) only tells us that the Reading "project" was not an attractive proposition.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I voted "fondly". I hate how it all ended, acknowledge that nobody - whatever they say, really knows the truth, but still remember what he did for us and how much he was liked by most people.

Some people have said that Tony Bloom is the real star, which he is, but part of his talent was taking a well-informed and calculated punt on an unknown quantity in terms of management, which brought us Gus Poyet.

And others have said he should have done better with the budget he had, or that anybody could have done it with the players at his disposal and so on and so on. I disagree.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here