Votes: 46 17.2%
  • Neither positively or negatively

Votes: 19 7.1%

• Total voters

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Choose Fondly and delighted to see it winning the race.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I'll remember him for his time at the club, and the pretty football we played under him, but I am now glad his face has been removed from the hall of fame. I voted badly, because of the way it ended, because of the way he treated the contract negotiations, and the email, and the constant refusal to find a Plan B when we were losing.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
You know for a fact that Gus was offered a settlement? Do you know how much that was?

There was a story in the Argus before he was fired, saying that he refused a good wll pay offer to go.

Bloom: You have leave now, but before we fire you with gross misconduct charges, we don't want to do that, here is a firendly cash offer of a few hundred thousand pounds to thank you for your services here, and we can all say what a fantastic manager you have been.

Gus: I'm not having that, I want the full £3m that I believe is owed to me.

Bloom: You're fired.

Before you say I don't know what the offer was, but he had a payment offer.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
There was a story in the Argus before he was fired, saying that he refused a good wll pay offer to go.

Bloom: You have leave now, but before we fire you with gross misconduct charges, we don't want to do that, here is a firendly cash offer of a few hundred thousand pounds to thank you for your services here, and we can all say what a fantastic manager you have been.

Gus: I'm not having that, I want the full £3m that I believe is owed to me.

Bloom: You're fired.

Before you say I don't know what the offer was, but he had a payment offer.

Obviously IF he's sure he did nothing wrong, then an offer of anything below a million would've been seen as an insult, and rightly turned down. The club signed him on a contract, and that contract represents a promise to pay that £3m or so.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

There was also a story in the argus a few days later saying no offer had been made.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/10487290.D_Day_looms_for_Poyet/ Sat 15th - "The Argus understands The Uruguayan has already rejected one financial offer to settle the dispute and sever his ties with the club during an exhaustive four-week investigation into his conduct. "
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/10495880.Poyet_set_for_hearing/ thu 20th - " The Argus understands no financial offer has been made to him to settle his dispute and sever his ties with the club."

That was weird, and just one example of contradictory stories coming out. I doubt the paper would print them if they didn't have a solid source for each story. Clearly, even normally solid sources were sharing conflicting stories. All the more reason to take any single source with a pinch of salt.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That was weird, and just one example of contradictory stories coming out. I doubt the paper would print them if they didn't have a solid source for each story. Clearly, even normally solid sources were sharing conflicting stories. All the more reason to take any single source with a pinch of salt.

Quite. NO ONE HERE knows EXACTLY what happened in the final 6 months of Gus' tenure, to make him do a complete U-turn from LOVING his job to being very unattached to it. Clearly things happened during that time that meant the relationship was unworkable.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Obviously IF he's sure he did nothing wrong, then an offer of anything below a million would've been seen as an insult, and rightly turned down. The club signed him on a contract, and that contract represents a promise to pay that £3m or so.

Stop painting Gus as an :angel:

He is a very wealthy man who Bloom was paying nearly £3k a day. He is not someone who has just lost his wife, kids and home with Beachy Head as the only option.

I said I don't know how much he was offered, but the club probably worked out a very reasonable offer based on a voluntary redundancy payment structure.

Whatever he was offered, leaving here opened his life up to other opportunities regardless, BBC, ITV, Sky and any Premiership job that becomes available.

For your info I don’t buy into the Gus hate or Gus love clubs, I am just thinking of what I would have done in his position, that was take the money, leave and get another job without dragging myself or the club through the dirt.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Stop painting Gus as an :angel:

He is a very wealthy man who Bloom was paying nearly £3k a day. He is not someone who has just lost his wife, kids and home with Beachy Head as the only option.

I said I don't know how much he was offered, but the club probably worked out a very reasonable offer based on a redundancy payment structure.

Whatever he was paid it opened his life up to other opportunities, BBC, ITV, Sky and any Premiership job that becomes available.

For your info I don’t buy into the Gus hate or Gus love clubs, I am just thinking of what I would have done in his position, that was take the money, leave and get another job without dragging myself or the club through the dirt.

You don't know how much the money was, and I'm not sure you would if you were in his shoes. If you were in his shoes, you would believe you were owed £3million.

If you were owed £3million by someone, and they went "err, would you take 10% of that?" you'd tell them to eff right off, wouldn't you?

I'm not painting him as an angel, I'm just looking at the situation logically.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
You don't know how much the money was, and I'm not sure you would if you were in his shoes. If you were in his shoes, you would believe you were owed £3million.

If you were owed £3million by someone, and they went "err, would you take 10% of that?" you'd tell them to eff right off, wouldn't you?

I'm not painting him as an angel, I'm just looking at the situation logically.

For starters, the figures I gave are just being used for examples sake.

However, if I had just earnt say £5m already from my employer, and we fell out on a disagreement with the way he ran his business, and he says; look it's time for you to go and you have taken the firm into dispute by some of your working methods, but here is a few hunded thousand pounds to leave, I would come to an financial compromise agreement.

I've made my £5m on top of my other millions, I'm rich anyway and my next job will make me richer, life is good.

It didn't take Oatway and Tanno too long to know whats good for them and Gus had the same opportunity. What makes Gus so different to them? If you can answer?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
However, if I had just earnt say £5m already from my employer, and we fell out on a disagreement with the way he ran his business, and he says; look it's time for you to go and you have taken the firm into dispute by some of your working methods, but here is a few hunded thousand pounds to leave, I would come to an financial compromise agreement.

I've made my £5m on top of my other millions, I'm rich anyway and my next job will make me richer, life is good.

I'll be honest. There is absolutely no way I can be sure that I would have that view.

In fact, I know I would have the opposite of that. You are talking about £5m in the relation to the average persons wage (I obviously don't know your financial situation but I'm making an assumption so I apologise if incorrect)

It's like when people slag off footballers for not wanting to drop from 50k a week to 35k. They call the greedy and compare it to people like nurses wages etc. Well, I'll be honest, I wouldn't want to drop my wage if I was them. I would also push for as much money as I could. I'd do it if I was a footballer and I'd do it in my current job.

It's all relative at the end of the day.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I'll be honest. There is absolutely no way I can be sure that I would have that view.

In fact, I know I would have the opposite of that. You are talking about £5m in the relation to the average persons wage (I obviously don't know your financial situation but I'm making an assumption so I apologise if incorrect)

It's like when people slag off footballers for not wanting to drop from 50k a week to 35k. They call the greedy and compare it to people like nurses wages etc. Well, I'll be honest, I wouldn't want to drop my wage if I was them. I would also push for as much money as I could. I'd do it if I was a footballer and I'd do it in my current job.

It's all relative at the end of the day.

You missed the last piece of my post. Oatway and Tanno left under mutual consent that included a financial incentive, so your argument doesn't work for them?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
For starters, the figures I gave are just being used for examples sake.

It didn't take Oatway and Tanno too long to know whats good for them and Gus had the same opportunity. What makes Gus so different to them? If you can answer?

You keep ignoring the money you'd still be owed though. If you were owed £3million for a job and were offered £300,000, you'd take it?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You missed the last piece of my post. Oatway and Tanno left under mutual consent that included a financial incentive, so your argument doesn't work for them?

We have no idea what the individual situations were, nor the settlements relative to the wages.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

I don't know what they were offered.

I've not really put forward an 'argument' either. I've just said I would push for every penny, no matter what my basic wage.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Tough one for me to answer, so I haven't selected any of the options. I admire his managerial skills and respect how far he took the club during his tenure, but I don't respect him as a person in the slightest.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Yep, in preference to getting nothing and gross misconduct on my CV.

What would you do, fight and get nothing?

You'd give up £2.7m? :lolol:You're braver than me!

Football is not like ANY other job/industry. Di Canio got a job despite being a loon. Barton is continually employed despite putting cigars in peoples eyes. Gus looks set to get a job despite this on his CV.

If you or I were to get "Gross Misconduct" on our CV then sure, thats pretty bad. But a football manager? meh.

Especially if the "gross misconduct" is actually not that bad and more 'technical' then actually a horrendous action.

I'd fight for my extra £2.7m for all it's worth.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
You'd give up £2.7m? :lolol:

Football is not like ANY other job. Di Canio got a job despite being a loon. Gus looks set to get a job despite this on his CV.

If you or I were to get "Gross Misconduct" on our CV then sure, thats pretty bad. But a football manager? meh.

Especially if the "gross misconduct" is actually not that bad and more 'technical' then actually a horrendous action.

I'd fight for my extra £2.7m for all it's worth.

Yes and lose, costing you a small fortune, with the maybe highly embarrasing gross misconduct charges being published in the public domain. :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports