Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] How many points have you got on your driving licence?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Can anyone beat Bianca Williams' 29 points on her licence at the age of 29? If she was as quick at running as she was at totting up licence points we might have an Olympic champion on our hands. Can anyone on here beat 29? I'm on a paltry 3.

Bianca Williams tots up licence points and six month ban

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Why are adults obsessed with a kids film with one plot, will he who must not be named eventually kill Harry Potter :shrug: after about fifty attempts without success I’m guessing he never managed it

Because I never grew up :lolol: . I still love Christmas (please don’t ruin the story for me), snowball fights, pillow fights … my kids got lucky with a Dad who made camps with them by rearranging furniture when they should’ve been asleep on a school night. Rowling’s books are incredible, the detail, the likable characters and the evil, imho the films mostly did them justice.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Been driving just shy of two years now and thankfully zero points. (Am I right in thinkng it's only 6pts for your first two years?)
I'd like to think it's how things will continue but I've had a black box since I passed my test which has kept the loudness pedal under control.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I've only ever got two sets of points. Both in the same week in 2003, and on the same road (Falmer Road).

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
They do - I know.
I don't see much evidence of it. When I first moved to mainland Europe a helpful colleague gave me a list of things to budget for, including a monthly average of £40 for speeding tickets. It never actually reached that level, despite the £1300 weekend referred to earlier, but fines were a regular occurrence. Maybe I've been lucky (or forgetful) but in the UK I don't recall ever getting a speeding fine. A few parking fines, yes, but not speeding. I don't want to encourage speeding fines here but when I think of how much money I spent overseas (easily thousands of pounds over 15 years or so) compared to zero here, I do wonder if cash-strapped authorities aren't missing a trick.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The camera after a bend heading south through Woodingdean?
I don't remember, but I was a bit unwise to cameras back then. The speed limit kept changing and it was late at night on both occasions. It was on the stretch coming down from the crossroads. 36 or 38 in a 30. I didn't think anything of it until the letter arrived. These days I don't stop watching the speedo.

When I first started driving I was twat and kept getting away with it.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
6 points but City of Chicago doesn't get on well with state of Indiana (Trump vs Dems issue) and it doesn't get reported to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles in Indiana because Indiana basically says they don't believe all of the Chicago violations are legit. It is a way I benefit from Republicans hating Democrats.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't remember, but I was a bit unwise to cameras back then. The speed limit kept changing and it was late at night on both occasions. It was on the stretch coming down from the crossroads. 36 or 38 in a 30. I didn't think anything of it until the letter arrived. These days I don't stop watching the speedo.

When I first started driving I was twat and kept getting away with it.

That’s the one, with the added impetus from driving downhill, it would’ve caught countless numbers over the years.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
That’s the one, with the added impetus from driving downhill, it would’ve caught countless numbers over the years.
I don't think they were signposted as well back then. Or maybe I wasn't as attentive. Probably both.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Because I never grew up :lolol: . I still love Christmas (please don’t ruin the story for me), snowball fights, pillow fights … my kids got lucky with a Dad who made camps with them by rearranging furniture when they should’ve been asleep on a school night. Rowling’s books are incredible, the detail, the likable characters and the evil, imho the films mostly did them justice.
Me neither (never grew up) I still buy my adult kids one toy every year which really is an excuse for me to have something to play with on Christmas Day. I’ve done remote control cars/planes/ drones to hand held space invaders, pinball machines can’t wait to see what I come up with this year. Although it back fired last year one son got me a high powered nerf gun so we spent last. Christmas Day having target practise competitions in the lounge 🤣

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Was that the one at Hill Barn on the A27 (by the old Joyful Whippet)? If so, that's where I got caught last. The signage is not great but there are more of these red light cameras being converted to 'Speed on Green'. You can tell as they have the yellow paint rather than being grey. At least one on the A270 has been converted in recent months.
No bottom of coldean lane

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231206_072322_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20231206_072322_Maps.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 25

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Been driving about 45 years and never had points on my licence or any fines IN THE UK. However, living in Germany and Switzerland for a couple of decades, speeding fines in the post were a frequent occurrence. Usually only £30 or so every month or two — though in one memorable 4-day period I was fined the equivalent of £1300. £650 for speeding in a tunnel by more than 10kph and another £650 for crossing a solid white lane to overtake a stationary bus. The mistake wasn’t to overtake the bus but to not notice the cop car immediately behind me.

Like most people, I routinely go a bit over the speed limit (never deliberately). After my overseas experience, it puzzles me that the authorities here don’t see speeding fines as a solid revenue earner.
I think there are plenty of people here who do think, and often say as much, that speeding fines ARE a solid revenue earner - people who seem to think their liberty is being curtailed if anybody tries to tell them what to do.

I don’t normally have a problem sticking to speed limits. They are there for a reason. I did get three points a few years ago for something like 46 in an 40 limit late at night on an empty road, and have separately done a speed awareness course, which was excellent.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I think there are plenty of people here who do think, and often say as much, that speeding fines ARE a solid revenue earner - people who seem to think their liberty is being curtailed if anybody tries to tell them what to do.

I don’t normally have a problem sticking to speed limits. They are there for a reason. I did get three points a few years ago for something like 46 in an 40 limit late at night on an empty road, and have separately done a speed awareness course, which was excellent.
I must have been lucky then. I never deliberately exceed limits but I frequently find myself breaking them because they change so often.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Goody two shoes here. No speeding fines (never been caught as the M1 didn’t have speed cameras for a long time) no speed awareness courses, and just one parking fine in Hove. In my defence, it was dark, and my rear wheels were slightly over the line of the parking bay in Clarendon Road.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
None atm but did do a speed awareness course a couple of months ago after getting GATSO’d on the A22 at Halland (35 in a 30)
Previously had 4 points added in court for an accident deemed my fault (still maintain it would have been almost impossible to avoid) on the 272 near H Heath in about 1995, and 3 points for speeding in Devon a couple of years before that so did have 7 points for a short time which was a bit of a worry. Test passed in 1983.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
None at the moment but I’ve had tickets for speeding a couple of times and got caught using a mobile phone once (not proud of that).

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
None in over 30 years of driving. I was, however, stopped once racing to get the ferry back from Ireland. I think because my address at the time was complicated to spell, even for a native welsh-speaker, the paperwork never arrived.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've been driving for over 50 years and I have zero points and never been on an awareness course either, but then I remembered something.
Around the year 2000 I was stopped in Burgess Hill for speeding by a copper hiding behind a bus stop. I was driving up Sussex Way and turning left into Howards Way past the Woolpack Pub. I know I wasn't speeding and the fact I was turning was evidence I wasn't speeding. I was around the corner when my passenger said the copper was flagging me down. I stopped literaly yards from the junction, more proof I wasn't speeding. Copper gave me a ticket, my first ever. But I never thought to ask to see the speed gun. And when I went to the police station with my paperwork I was told this copper gets lots of speeding cars. But nothing ever came of it.
It's not for me to say something was not right, but having driven up that road many times I know it is very difficult to drive over 30 when turning left (I've not tried, just driven at 30 and had to slow down to turn).

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
None,but got a speed awareness course next week. Caught doing 34 overtaking an old boy I'd been following for 2 miles doing 22mph. Soon as I started overtaking manoeuvre noticed mobile camera . 1st time in 32 years driving.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here