Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] How many points have you got on your driving licence?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Can anyone beat Bianca Williams' 29 points on her licence at the age of 29? If she was as quick at running as she was at totting up licence points we might have an Olympic champion on our hands. Can anyone on here beat 29? I'm on a paltry 3.

Bianca Williams tots up licence points and six month ban

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Nothing for the last 20 years, but 2 speeding and one parked on pedestrian crossing zigzags (7 dials, 8am on a Sunday morning picking up the paper but I DON'T HOLD A GRUDGE) in the previous 23 years, long before the days of speed awareness :wink:

My favourite was a relative of a friend many many years ago, on being pulled was told 'we have reason to believe you've been drinking'. The reply to which was 'Thank f*** for that, I thought my steering had gone' :facepalm:

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Speed awareness.

My son was recently done twice on the same journey, doing 80 and 84 in two different counties. He has been invited to a speed awareness course but it is not yet clear whether he will also get 3 points.

I have done three speed awareness courses, but was once on 9 points (two hand held cameras claiming I was doing 35 and 36 in a 30 mile region in Northampton on separate occasions, and one Gatso for doing 55 during a 50 MPH temporary measure on the M25. All of which I consider to be vexatious attempts to make money off me.).

But, hang on, what am I thinking, posting a considered reply on a Crodo thread?
Northamptonshire is the worst county to get caught speeding in. They do not go by the 10% plus 2.

If you do S A C. then you will not get points on licence. Also you dont need to tell ur insurance company on your renewal unless they ask if you have done course in last year.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
That is impressive. I reckon I have done nigh on 1.5 million and was pleased with 9 points in 40 odd years :thumbsup:

Driving a lorry so its a bit more easier, 56 MPH on motorway, so only when speed is reduced do i have to worry.
If i get done in my lorry not only does my TM know, my national logistics manager knows (even if caught in my car) and the local transport commisioner knows.
Its not worth the paperwork and retraining.

Not saying i dont speed in my lorry, i have done 33MPH in a 30 zone. All our truck have telematics on them so each month a report comes out with how u been driving and Speeding. Our threshold is +4 in a 30 , +5 in a 40 and +6 in a 50 zone.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Driving a lorry so its a bit more easier, 56 MPH on motorway, so only when speed is reduced do i have to worry.
If i get done in my lorry not only does my TM know, my national logistics manager knows (even if caught in my car) and the local transport commisioner knows.
Its not worth the paperwork and retraining.

Not saying i dont speed in my lorry, i have done 33MPH in a 30 zone. All our truck have telematics on them so each month a report comes out with how u been driving and Speeding. Our threshold is +4 in a 30 , +5 in a 40 and +6 in a 50 zone.

I've always loved driving and have been lucky enough to have jobs that entailed a lot of driving and have given me some lovely cars to do it in. But any kind of driving, bikes when I was young, but some serious single seater race cars on tracks (never good enough to properly do it), off roaders, skid pans, go karts, you name it, I've done it and loved it.

The one thing I haven't done and am still dying to do, is manoeuvres (mainly reversing) in an artic. Hopefully a Birthday present soon :wink:

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Been driving about 45 years and never had points on my licence or any fines IN THE UK. However, living in Germany and Switzerland for a couple of decades, speeding fines in the post were a frequent occurrence. Usually only £30 or so every month or two — though in one memorable 4-day period I was fined the equivalent of £1300. £650 for speeding in a tunnel by more than 10kph and another £650 for crossing a solid white lane to overtake a stationary bus. The mistake wasn’t to overtake the bus but to not notice the cop car immediately behind me.

Like most people, I routinely go a bit over the speed limit (never deliberately). After my overseas experience, it puzzles me that the authorities here don’t see speeding fines as a solid revenue earner.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Been driving about 45 years and never had points on my licence or any fines IN THE UK. However, living in Germany and Switzerland for a couple of decades, speeding fines in the post were a frequent occurrence. Usually only £30 or so every month or two — though in one memorable 4-day period I was fined the equivalent of £1300. £650 for speeding in a tunnel by more than 10kph and another £650 for crossing a solid white lane to overtake a stationary bus. The mistake wasn’t to overtake the bus but to not notice the cop car immediately behind me.

Like most people, I routinely go a bit over the speed limit (never deliberately). After my overseas experience, it puzzles me that the authorities here don’t see speeding fines as a solid revenue earner.
They are alot Stricter in Europe esp with trucks and them nit allowed at weekends or public holidays unless u pass special caviets.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
3, will be off in 11 months.

Ive had 12 in 36 years. 4 x speeding, 3 were sneaky semi hidden oncoming cameras, one of those was roadworks on A1, one in a hedge entering Small Dole in a camper van, doing exactly 40 as it changed to 30 . . . . I wrote them a forthright letter detailing their ill gotten gains and they doubled my fine. It was Worth every penny. Last one was tootling home from Chi in the Alfa . . . pension generation van in a layby, just beyond the brow of a hill, I hit the anchors and got done for 92. . . Which is probably a good average between before and after spotting the camera.

one I was clocked near Horsham, but not stopped until Wiston tea rooms, apparently I averaged over 70 through the bendy bits down to Buck barn, was commended on my driving and line, but reminded the limit is 50. A fair cop, 3 points.

FWLIW I'm all for nailing people for speeding in dangerous areas. Outside schools, narrow side streets, residential and shopping areas etc etc, But the open road ( not that there is much) really doesn't need nannying. If you're daft/incompetent enough to kill yourself you're probably doing the rest of us a favour, although the sad reality is it usually the twat that gets away with it and innocent parties in the wrong place at the wrong time pay the price. . . . . . Hence track days! £200 to drive as fast as you dare, all day, at as safe a track as you will find. I've seen some absolute shockers 😂

I got One ticket for being Lippy to a copper on my Lambretta, over 30 years ago now, he kept looking for something, I kept telling him it was all legit, with the classic smart arsed youthful confidence. . . eventually he fined me for having cut down L plates! Not sure if I got points for that or not, can't remember.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I was pulled over on the way out of Leicester once for "erratic driving".
They let me off after I explained that I was veering uncertainly around the road because I couldn't see the road markings, rather than because I was drunk.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I've always loved driving and have been lucky enough to have jobs that entailed a lot of driving and have given me some lovely cars to do it in. But any kind of driving, bikes when I was young, but some serious single seater race cars on tracks (never good enough to properly do it), off roaders, skid pans, go karts, you name it, I've done it and loved it.

The one thing I haven't done and am still dying to do, is manoeuvres (mainly reversing) in an artic. Hopefully a Birthday present soon :wink:

Its not as difficult as it looks, just turning the steering wheele the opposite way u want the trailer to go. I had one bay in Porto i needed to reverse on to a real pig of a bay where i had to jacknife reverse to get on bay.

I struggle with a wag and drag, a rigid truck with a trailer. Same length as artic but the pivot point ìs between the trailers.

Motor bike never Appeal to me, have never done a track day. More wheels the better for me.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

Try and see if you can get an eaton twin splitter manual gearbox. 16 gear changes. 😁😁

Jul 7, 2003
I got done there and did a speed awareness course. Over half the people on the course got done by the same camera. It changed from a red light to a speed camera and I'm convinced they didn't have new signs / yellow sticker up for weeks
Was that the one at Hill Barn on the A27 (by the old Joyful Whippet)? If so, that's where I got caught last. The signage is not great but there are more of these red light cameras being converted to 'Speed on Green'. You can tell as they have the yellow paint rather than being grey. At least one on the A270 has been converted in recent months.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here