Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hammond Apologises Lets all move on

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I won't boo, never have for an Albion player and certainly hope I never will. That said, call me a cynic but this apology smacks of a PR exercise on the club's part to me, rather than him volunteering a genuine heartfelt platitude. For me his apology comes on the pitch - battle, play well and prove his apology as sincere, and all is forgiven. Drift about ineffectually and it will seem a lot more hollow. I accept he's grown up but his actions were wildly inflammatory and over the top. I realise players are human too - I didn't mind Davies giving some back to the north stand having scored Barnsley's pen, as he was copping some stick - and if it had been Harding who scored @ withdean, the reaction would be understandable. But Hammond acted a disloyal judas cock, and will remain so for me until he demonstrates his commitment and sincerity where it matters, on the pitch. For now I don't hate him or forgive him, I nothing him. A grudging truce, if you will.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
I won't boo, never have for an Albion player and certainly hope I never will. That said, call me a cynic but this apology smacks of a PR exercise on the club's part to me, rather than him volunteering a genuine heartfelt platitude. For me his apology comes on the pitch - battle, play well and prove his apology as sincere, and all is forgiven. Drift about ineffectually and it will seem a lot more hollow. I accept he's grown up but his actions were wildly inflammatory and over the top. I realise players are human too - I didn't mind Davies giving some back to the north stand having scored Barnsley's pen, as he was copping some stick - and if it had been Harding who scored @ withdean, the reaction would be understandable. But Hammond acted a disloyal judas cock, and will remain so for me until he demonstrates his commitment and sincerity where it matters, on the pitch. For now I don't hate him or forgive him, I nothing him. A grudging truce, if you will.

Not sure, if you watch his video when he first signs he does mention back then he has grown up and got to try and win the fans back, so not so sure.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
HOWEVER, I guarantee that he will get a fraction of the tolerance and leeway that other players get. If he's playing badly, looking like he doesn't care or just plain shit, people will be on his back much quicker than they would with anyone else, other than Ashley Barnes.

Fixed for you.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
If El Abd can be forgiven for swearing at the crowd 3-4 years ago then I'm sure you lot who're being stubborn can forgive Hammond...

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Andy Naylor tweet:

[MENTION=14853]andy[/MENTION]NaylorArgus: Dean Hammond talks about that goal celebration on tomorrow's back page and inside about his 'sideways' move from Southampton. #bhafc

Can someone explain how this is a "sideways" move from the Premier League to the Championship?????

and does anyone else understand why we have taken him back. Surely we don't need ANOTHER central midfield player. IMHO (and am fully prepared to be proved wrong here) he's not up to the standard that we now have in the team. Unless all we are looking for is bandy legged runs sideways across the pitch

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Sorry mate, I was there and I DISTINCTLY remember him doing at least 3 laps of the running track, early on in the first lap he unfurled a banner that stated "BRIGHTON ARE SHIT AND I FOR ONE WOULD NEVER PLAY FOR THEM".

He then fisted Gully, shocking scenes!

kjgood

'Climbing onto soapbox'

Do you know what? isnt there more urgent and worrying things to worry about rather than a player running down the touchline with his hand to his ear?

Lots of goalscorers over the years have done that particular celebration or celebrated goals in their own style, would we not want any of those because of that?

We also dont know the full detail of why he left us when he went to colchester, if he was pushed out especially if he didnt want to leave, told he wasnt needed, told we needed to cut the wage bill, told we need the transfer money etc etc and was taking some flack from the crowd on that particular night do you blame him?

He is now again our player, had the balls to come back and could contribute to our success. He didnt sell the club out from under us, bankrupt us or make millions out of us without caring what happened to the club. Those can never be forgiven i agree, build a bonfire. He held his hand to his ear!!!!!! Oh Dear!!!!! If he gets in the team, runs his legs off and does his best for the cause we should treat him the same as any other player, applaud when he does good things and winge if he doesnt.

'Climbing down off soapbox'

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Don't know where you were sitting...he got loads of booing just when his name was announced let alone whenever he touched the ball....some Albion fans are not lily-white in this....give abuse...expect a reaction
I could understand a player reacting if they were getting a lot of abuse, but that's not what happened. Are you sure you're not thinking of the game at Withdean in 2011, when he got plenty of abuse?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Hammond saying 'I didn't mean to offend anyone' is weak, patronising and untrue. He ran 100 yards up the pitch for 20 seconds trying to, and succeeding, to offend every Albion fan in the ground. He knew exactly what he was doing then & to try & deny it now is risible & contemptuous

Agree. Call me a cynic NSC (Uncle Spielberg certainly would), but some people really will swallow any old PR shite.
:thumbsup:

I'm not that bothered about Hammond one way or the other, but for people on here to be saying "Oh that apology is good enough for me now, all water under the bridge" is kind of missing the point that he's only apologising because he's now in a position that he has to in the same way that if say some celebrity is caught with their trousers down they come out and issue a public apology for letting down their family and fans etc. or someone who appears in court pleads guilty - they almost certainly wouldn't be doing either if they hadn't been found out cheating or arrested, in the same way that Hammond probably wouldn't have bothered with that 'apology' in any other circumstances.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The line "I never meant to offend anyone" in the context of that article shows just how sincere this 'apology' is.

I'm perfectly willing to accept that things went on behind the scenes that the fans didn't know about, I'm not quite sure how that means an incendiary celebration in front of them is somehow justified.

Hammond is still sucking up after he realises he MASSIVELY bit the hand that feeds him, i'm still not a fan. But I'm glad that people who are enamoured with puff pieces like this are satisfied!

My thoughts exactly. The 'I never meant to upset anyone' bit is laughable. Surely, that was the point of the celebration?

I'll forgive Hammond when he turns in a decent performance. Not give some half arsed apology advised by the clubs PR department.

I have a plan.

Why doesn't everyone who accepts his forced apology get right behind him from the off and let us who think he's a total **** for what he did make up our minds at a later date.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I have a plan.

Why doesn't everyone who accepts his forced apology get right behind him from the off and let us who think he's a total **** for what he did make up our minds at a later date.

And those in the West Upper can throw bits of heavy masonry down on him, whether they believe the 'PR stunt apology' or not.

The Return of Dean Hammond - something for everyone.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I shall acept his apology and move on. I didn't like what he did one litle bit but he is an Albion player again and I will never boo one of our own.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here