Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hammond Apologises Lets all move on

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He is more popular than this board would suggest, agreed. There is a fairly vocal minority all around the ground though, that cut him NO slack whatsoever, and are wantonly critical of every little thing he does. Excatly like Hammond at Withdean.

I'm certain there are a number of people near me in WSU who would still slate Barnes, and get on his back for any small miscontrol, even if he scored FORTY goals this season.

Last edited:

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I'm certain there are a number of people near me in WSU who would still not slate him, and get on his back for any small miscontrol, even if he scored FORTY goals this season.

Their were fans around us at Withdean that slated him every week before he left us. I am sure those fans are pleased he is back!!
I am very pleased he is back.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm certain there are a number of people near me in WSU who would still slate him, and get on his back for any small miscontrol, even if he scored FORTY goals this season.

Indeed. Hammond at Withdean was exactly like this - the reaction to a small mistake that would bring out a few groans if made by Carpenter, would be more extreme / abusive for Hammond.

Does nobody else remember it being like that? Perhaps its just me.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Great idea, I might use that one!

Seriously though, I just don't see any mass booing or abuse and never have. There are too many soppy bastards supporting the Albion who are happy to be shat on as long as they can prove they're a wonderful fan by clapping the players after a 4-0 defeat. Hammond will get very little either positive or negative reaction on his return, but I am sure he'll be jumped upon if he's not playing well.

Rather being a 'soppy bastard' I prefer to look at it as it was an over paid young man using his way to act the big un and was a bit of a prick, In regards my life I really couldn't care that much I wont boo him because what he did didn't offend me that much. If anything I'd say the 'soppy bastards' are those who seem genuinely outraged at the scenario. Do they get up set this much in everyday life? Fragile souls.

I will also clap the players what ever as I support them regardless, if they lose 4-0 then they lose 4-0 they will have tried and been undone by a better team. I will support them to help them get back up and win the following week.

Neither do I beleive I am a 'wonderful fan' or an 'uber fan' etc, this is just my way of supporting a club I've loved my whole life much like yourself. That doesn't give you the right to judge anyone though and equally you'll not find me judging you on your views and ways of supporting the club.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Bollocks, he didn't get any shit or abuse that day. That's why what he did made him such a prick. If Harding had done it then fair enough, he was getting slaughtered, but for Hammond 99% of the crowd had given nothing but polite applause to him.

I do wonder if Hammond mistakenly thought that some of the abuse directed at Harding was actually being directed at him, and that's why he reacted like he did.

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
I did not still hold issue with Dean as I have slept since then.....fair play to him for making the statment - Matter closed - lets encourage all who wear the shirt.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Don't know where you were sitting...he got loads of booing just when his name was announced let alone whenever he touched the ball....some Albion fans are not lily-white in this....give abuse...expect a reaction...it's past history now...move on,he's playing for us and will get full support

I agree the abuse around us for both Hammond and Harding was relentless and I kind of understood Hammonds reaction when scoring a very important goal for his club.
I really can't get my head round the fact that many of our fans cannot forgive a heat of the moment reaction, but would willingly take Glen Murray back. He had time to consider his insult to the Brighton fans.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I know nothing of your circumstances or mindset so let's not make this a direct comparison, but I think being happy to accept second best is a very dangerous thing. If we are "undone by a better team", such as at Liverpool last season, I have absolutely no problems. But if we put that performance in against, say, Watford, I'd go f***ing mental. However, I guarantee you there would be some sheep who would cheer and applaud. That's not right in my book.

Bringing it back to Hammond, it's about self respect. I hated every second of Coppell being our manager because we shouldn't have lowered ourselves to appointing somebody so closely linked to our rivals. I also think going back for players who have so publicly disrespected us cheapens us and makes us look a bit desperate, which we don't need to be now. People who claim they will 'support anyone playing for the Albion regardless of what they have done' aren't right in the head in my opinion, because what they're effectively saying is they rate their own support as more important than the image and respect of the club.

But so long as they have tried their best I don't see how we are excepting second best, Surely if you've tried your best it is all you can do. What gets me is when you have players with clear talent who clearly cannot be bothered. This is all personal views though and we are both entitled to them my point was more I felt it was unfair of you to negatively portray those who support their team in another way with comments such as 'soppy bastards' and implying they think better of themselves for clapping after a 4-0 defeat etc.

I agree with some of your last comments, If a rapest was to play for Brighton they would never get my support it is not a general rule for all those never work, But for something as harmless as hammond clasping his ear to the south stand, but not the image and respect of the club, I would be very surprised if a Huddersfield fan knows or cares about Hammondgate. Players unfortunatly do stupid things daily its a nothing story and no one will look at us badly for it.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
He's apologised. That's part 1 of 2 complete. All he needs to do now is peform on the pitch.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I was never going to boo him, and wanted an apology of some sort which has now been done so for me the matter can be put to bed :)

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
I've got no axe to grate with Hammond, but can you elaborate on the specific time period after which it is "time to move on"?

Our run-ins with Archer, Bellotti, Stanley, Barry Hearn, Carl Griffiths and Scott McGleish were all more than 4 or 5 years ago. Should we forget those too?

i dont want to be picky, and at the risk of a ban, i dont think you grate an axe?! Grind maybe?

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
I agree the abuse around us for both Hammond and Harding was relentless and I kind of understood Hammonds reaction when scoring a very important goal for his club.
I really can't get my head round the fact that many of our fans cannot forgive a heat of the moment reaction, but would willingly take Glen Murray back. He had time to consider his insult to the Brighton fans.

This. Can't believe people are still going on about "that night". I was there in the South stand "that night" and it must have taken me until the next morning to get over it!!!!!!!

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
I know nothing of your circumstances or mindset so let's not make this a direct comparison, but I think being happy to accept second best is a very dangerous thing. If we are "undone by a better team", such as at Liverpool last season, I have absolutely no problems. But if we put that performance in against, say, Watford, I'd go f***ing mental. However, I guarantee you there would be some sheep who would cheer and applaud. That's not right in my book.

Bringing it back to Hammond, it's about self respect. I hated every second of Coppell being our manager because we shouldn't have lowered ourselves to appointing somebody so closely linked to our rivals. I also think going back for players who have so publicly disrespected us cheapens us and makes us look a bit desperate, which we don't need to be now. People who claim they will 'support anyone playing for the Albion regardless of what they have done' aren't right in the head in my opinion, because what they're effectively saying is they rate their own support as more important than the image and respect of the club.

I do agree with most of what you are saying here and sit more in your camp of appointing certain people. However, at some point in life you need to accept that he has publicly appologised and said he has grown up, not many players would do that imo.

Surely in this instances its time to move on? After all he is a Brighton lad and was clearly overstrung at the time and is apoligising for his outburst.

We've all said and done things in the spur of the moment and regretted, no?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here