Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hammond Apologises Lets all move on

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I saw this was going to be in the Argus but I'm away at the moment, so I was wondering if he has said WHY he acted like such a tool that day at Withdean?
Having said that, I hope he's a huge success back here.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
WHY he acted like such a tool that day at Withdean?

Likely in reaction to all the shit and abuse he had taken ... think I would have done the same. Course he didn't know he'd be coming back which makes things a bit tricky, but respect to him for doing so and coming out and acknowledging he might have handled better (assuming he's done so)

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Likely in reaction to all the shit and abuse he had taken ... think I would have done the same. Course he didn't know he'd be coming back which makes things a bit tricky, but respect to him for doing so and coming out and acknowledging he might have handled better (assuming he's done so)

Bollocks, he didn't get any shit or abuse that day. That's why what he did made him such a prick. If Harding had done it then fair enough, he was getting slaughtered, but for Hammond 99% of the crowd had given nothing but polite applause to him.

Where is this apology, anyway?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
He was well out of order on the day and I was ready to boo him to the rafters as a one off on his re-debut, but after reading what he had to say today in The Argus after Naylor had mentioned 'Internet message boards' and his apology following, I for one am ready to move on. Not that it means anything at this stage but he hints at a possible permanent transfer. Long term he may step in if Bridcutt moves on if we don't make the jump into the Premier at seasons end.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
He was well out of order on the day and I was ready to boo him to the rafters as a one off on his re-debut, but after reading what he had to say today in The Argus after Naylor had mentioned 'Internet message boards'

Boards? Plural? Where?

perry digweed

Oct 21, 2003
Brighton
Andy Naylor tweet:

[MENTION=14853]andy[/MENTION]NaylorArgus: Dean Hammond talks about that goal celebration on tomorrow's back page and inside about his 'sideways' move from Southampton. #bhafc

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I agree with your sentiments however, some people are too stubborn or have such fragile egos that they cannot move on and will feel that "betrayal" for the rest of their lives.

He has apologised, explaining that he was younger, it was rash and in the heat of the moment. but now he want to do a good job for the Albion. Again that won't be enough for some who still feel bitter.

I believe he deserves a second chance.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Boards? Plural? Where?

Paragraph from The Argus:

Some fans have reacted negatively to Hammond's return on internet message boards and vowed to give him a hard time.

"I kind of expect it, because what I did was wrong. It's up to me to prove them wrong.

It was 100% heat of the moment. Obviuosly looking back on it I wish I hadn't done it. I never meant to offend anyone."

Last edited:

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I agree with your sentiments however, some people are too stubborn or have such fragile egos that they cannot move on and will feel that "betrayal" for the rest of their lives.

He has apologised, explaining that he was younger, it was rash and in the heat of the moment. but now he want to do a good job for the Albion. Again that won't be enough for some who still feel bitter.

I believe he deserves a second chance.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Bollocks, he didn't get any shit or abuse that day. That's why what he did made him such a prick. If Harding had done it then fair enough, he was getting slaughtered, but for Hammond 99% of the crowd had given nothing but polite applause to him.

Not that day, he had been through the wringer well before that

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Haven't read the article but hope this clears things up for some of the doubters and means they are fully supportive of him

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham

Don't know where you were sitting...he got loads of booing just when his name was announced let alone whenever he touched the ball....some Albion fans are not lily-white in this....give abuse...expect a reaction...it's past history now...move on,he's playing for us and will get full support

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I have no issue with him now he's apologized, I'm just unsure whether it's a good signing in footballing terms. He warmed the bench most of the time for Southampton, compared to Crofts who played consistently for Norwich in this league.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Paragraph from The Argus:

Some fans have reacted negatively to Hammond's return on internet message boards and vowed to give him a hard time.

"I kind of expect it, because what I did was wrong. It's up to me to prove them wrong.

It was 100% heat of the moment. Obviuosly looking back on it I wish I hadn't done it. I never meant to offend anyone."

Yeah, I get that bit. Where are those other boards?

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I wasn't there, so I'm not really sure it's my place to comment, but I can see that the anger felt by a lot of people who were there is very real.

In my daily life though, when someone admits to me they were wrong in however they've behaved towards me, I try to get over it and move on. I hope the Albion support can collectively do the same.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here