Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hammond Apologises Lets all move on

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Didn't we receive about 200K for him because he contract was nearly out and signed Murray for 300K in the same window? I doubt money came into it at all.

Yep think it was about £225,000 - £250,000.

Murray was at the time billed "a gift from the directors" so probably Tony Blooms winnings on a card game(!) as we know at this point in time he was effectively bankrolling us to a point.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I'm saying neither you nor I know what was in his head when he 'celebrated'. He has apologised and admitted he was wrong. Why is that not enough for some of you?

You believe him. I don’t. Personally, I think that anyone who falls for the ‘I didn’t mean it, honest’ line would say ’’It’s OK love, I believe you’’, if your wife walked in the door like John Wayne with spunk dripping off her chin complaining she didn’t know how this ‘sun tan oil’ got there after a night away with a ‘’friend’’.

As I said in an earlier post, stick in a MOM performance against Sheff Wed and then it will all be forgotten in my mind. I'll ultimately make my mind up with what I see on the pitch.

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
Yep think it was about £225,000 - £250,000.

Murray was at the time billed "a gift from the directors" so probably Tony Blooms winnings on a card game(!) as we know at this point in time he was effectively bankrolling us to a point.

Ah yes, what a gift he was too! When we signed Murray I genuinely thought him and Forster would fire us into the play offs. If Hammond had of stayed things might have been oh so different.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You believe him. I don't. Personally, I think that anyone who falls for the 'I didn't mean it, honest' line would say "It's OK love, I believe you", if your wife walked in the door like John Wayne with spunk dripping off her chin complaining she didn't know how this 'sun tan oil' got there after a night away with a 'friend'.

As I said in an earlier post, stick in a MOM performance against Sheff Wed and then it will all be forgotten in my mind. I'll ultimately make my mind up with what I see on the pitch.

So it's not about what's in his head at all.

It's about what's in yours.

I can remember from my seat in h block, row r, seat 209..the abuse he got.."stayed with a big club""wanker"..all the usual..with people laughing at him and booing him..he scored, gave us the cupped ear(I would have given two fingers)..and then the usual suspects in front getting annoyed at him..I really think we should get over it now!..he has come back as cover for crofts..and chances are his game time will be limited!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
So it's not about what's in his head at all.

It's about what's in yours.

We are a fickle bunch us football fans. If Hammond scores a last minute winner, all this gets forgotten in an instance. If he ambles around the pitch like John Harley's disintersted lost brother this will keep coming up until he plays well or leaves. Anyone, though, that tells me 'He didn't mean it'' after his goal celebration lives on a different planet to me otherwise what was the point of the celebration?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I know nothing of your circumstances or mindset so let's not make this a direct comparison, but I think being happy to accept second best is a very dangerous thing. If we are "undone by a better team", such as at Liverpool last season, I have absolutely no problems. But if we put that performance in against, say, Watford, I'd go f***ing mental. However, I guarantee you there would be some sheep who would cheer and applaud. That's not right in my book.

Good post. I just don't understand the "I'll never boo" mentality.

It's alot less relevant these days because we have a great manager and a great squad of professionals who try their best every game, but that hasn't always been the case and probably won't be the case at some point in the future.

The 4-0 away to brentford and the 1-5 at home to stoke are good examples of when it was acceptable to boo the team, but as you say some people will take it regardless. The way I see it is that I support the club, not the players, manager or board, if I feel that any of them need a kick up the arse then I'll do it. I was here before most of them and I'll still be here after most of them.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Time to forgive and forget,all the time he is wearing an Albion shirt I will support him (and anybody else).I support Brighton and Hove Albion,that is permanent,players come and go,some better than others,but they represent the club I love.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
if I feel that any of them need a kick up the arse then I'll do it.

I love the idea that booing makes a player pick up his game.

"What's that? Booing I hear? And here I was thinking I was playing well! Best start trying a bit harder, thank goodness those supporters let me know."

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

"What's that? Booing I hear? And here I was thinking I was playing well! Best start trying a bit harder, thank goodness those supporters let me know."

So if it doesn't make a difference and it's all water off a ducks back why did Gus get in such a strop last season when people booed? (not me I might add, totally unjustified and Gus was right to get the hump)

Why does dodgy dan harding have such a shocker every time he comes back here?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So if it doesn't make a difference and it's all water off a ducks back why did Gus get in such a strop last season when people booed? (not me I might add, totally unjustified and Gus was right to get the hump)

Why does dodgy dan harding have such a shocker every time he comes back here?

Stop and re-read what you've just written.

How is it you are claiming that booing can HELP a player up his game, yet give us Dan Harding having a breakdown under a torrent of abuse, as an example?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Stop and re-read what you've just written.

How is it you are claiming that booing can HELP a player up his game, yet give us Dan Harding having a breakdown under a torrent of abuse, as an example?

I didn't say anything about HELPING, just that it has an effect, perhaps I've misunderstood the point that Mellotron was making.

If you want to take the line that it could have a negative effect I could easily counter that with:

"What's that? Booing I hear? And here I was thinking I was playing well! Best stop trying, gosh darn I'll just stop doing the job I'm paid for and probably not get picked by the manager again."

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Some people need to get a grip if they are STILL upset about some goal celebration that happened YEARS ago!

Yeah good point. I've totally forgiven Scott Magleish and Carl Griffiths.
The young scamps.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I can remember from my seat in h block, row r, seat 209..the abuse he got.."stayed with a big club""wanker"
I don't think that was in 2010, when SCC were above us, we chanted that when we had won the title and they visited in 2011. It wouldn't have made any sense in 2010.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Good post. I just don't understand the "I'll never boo" mentality.

It's alot less relevant these days because we have a great manager and a great squad of professionals who try their best every game, but that hasn't always been the case and probably won't be the case at some point in the future.
I think you're taking the 'never boo' comments out of context. Some people have booed Barnes, not because he's done anything wrong, but because they don't understand football. Like you say, we have a good manager at the moment, and so I support whomever he picks for the team, including Dean. But I'm sure many of the non booers would change if the circumstances really warranted it.

The 4-0 away to brentford and the 1-5 at home to stoke are good examples of when it was acceptable to boo the team, but as you say some people will take it regardless.
I didn't see the Stole game, but I saw Brentford away and it just all went wrong, I didn't think it was through lack of trying, so I don't think they deserved our wrath.
The way I see it is that I support the club, not the players, manager or board, if I feel that any of them need a kick up the arse then I'll do it.
I'm sure we all feel it's the club we support, not the individuals, but some of us feel that booing those individuals will not help the club. I'm not sure booing really counts as kicking them up the arse anyway.

I was here before most of them and I'll still be here after most of them.
Are you immortal?

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010

Very this.
The wisest thing our fans can do in *trusting Gus* is keep a diplomatic silence and allow the player to earn whatever reaction his performances and passion will earn.
One way or the other.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here