Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus said this morning Saints more important than Palace for him.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
"Poyet also appears delighted that Will Buckley is back from injury and available to the squad"

That made me laugh

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Quoting your OWN ARTICLE doesn't exactly lend more weight to what you've already said.
It would also be useful if you actually quoted (directly) what Gus said, rather than your interpretation of what he said.

Guess we'll have to wait for the press conference on Seagulls World to learn exactly what Gus said, as HB&B clearly doesn't want to elaborate, and is fishing for web hits on his article.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Perhaps HB&B should invest in a DICTAPHONE if he's covering these press conferences...

(insert obvious joke here)

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I can't believe the club are going to let this clown carry on attending press conferences for much longer. It's not supposed to be for wannabe hangers-on.

EDIT - *that's not referring to Andy Naylor, just in case there was any doubt*

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

For those unable/can't be bothered to click the link:

Gus Poyet says Albion's trip to Championship leaders Southampton on Saturday is bigger than playing Crystal Palace.

The Seagulls' chief told The Argus: "Palace is special because of the history, because of the rivalry, because of the derby, the fans.

"For me as a manager this is a more important game than Palace, because it's Southampton and they are proving they are a better team than Palace, so it's a better game for us."

Meanwhile, Dutch striker Roland Bergkamp, signed by Albion in the summer, has joined Rochdale on loan until January 2 and could make his League debut in English football at Preston on Saturday.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Actually thats very clever by Gus.

He has had a swipe at both Stains and those bastards.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
The reason Gus want's this game more is for his own personal reasons. I personally know a highly ranked member of staff within st mary's (family friend), who stated that Gus was one of the three names on our shortlist, along with Howe and Adkins. Adkins got the job, which Gus was not at all impressed with and since has held a personal grudge with Cortese. I don't believe he dislikes the club, I believe it is Cortese that he is wanting to get one over on.

Don't take this as gospel as I don't know if this is 100% correct, however I wouldn't doubt my contact so expect that this is very, very likely. For Gus, Saint's, so long as Cortese is in charge will be the club he want's to get one over.

Paper talk at the time Gus was appointed said that Adkins was our second choice. I remember sitting in front of SSN all that day and can't remember whether it was The Sun that said Poyet and The Mirror which said Adkins. I wonder if that was the source of the "Are you keeping up?" remarks on Adkins's part. It isn't really surprising if the same managers are going for the same jobs really, is it? Gus only just lost out to Sousa for the Swansea job.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
he's talking as a manager,manager's come and go and gus poyet will be no different

whereas supporters are there for life,crystal palace will always be more important than southampton

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Gus HATES Southampton though. It's no surprise.

Adkins arrogance isn't the main reason either, there was an incident during the 0-0 at St. Mary's last year..

Bati was booked for a challenge, ten minutes later a similar challenge from a saints player went unpunished. So Gus and Tanno went mental (as you'd expect). This lead to Adkins and co calling them cheating c words.

True story.

TottonSFC

Oct 19, 2011
I 100% believe Cortese, not purely because I'm a Saints fan, but everything he has said has been true so far. Why would he feel the need to lie about it? We've got a better manager in Adkins so you can keep your "messiah"

RDugmore

Nov 14, 2011
It is more important, because the Palace game is HISTORY. The next game is always more important.

Too true and now we have/are entering a new era where new rivalries will be established, although the way Saints are going they may well be playig top flight football next year so a brief south coast rivalry me thinks!

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Gus HATES Southampton though. It's no surprise.

Adkins arrogance isn't the main reason either, there was an incident during the 0-0 at St. Mary's last year..

Bati was booked for a challenge, ten minutes later a similar challenge from a saints player went unpunished. So Gus and Tanno went mental (as you'd expect). This lead to Adkins and co calling them cheating c words.

True story.

Were they waving their invisible red cards at the ref?

:clap2: :bowdown: :clap2:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The difference between Brighton and Southampton this season has been simple, you kept Lallana and Lambert whereas we lost Bennett and Murray. That's the difference, but I for one am not bitter about it, you've been consistently the best team in the league so far so you gents are top, congratulations. I may be speaking out of turn, but I would prefer Southampton were top than a West Ham, who weren't interested in having a football match with us.

As for Poyet's comments about Southampton being a bigger game, I wouldn't expect anything less. The Crystal Palace rivalry started with Mullery and Venables, and got gradually worse down the years. I said to someone last year that Poyet has developed a hatred for Southampton, almost from the start. It's bizarre, he hated them when they came to the Withdean for the 2-2 draw in his first season, and then the two clashes last year were obviously heated. I may have missed what first caused it, but I love that Poyet will be going all out with his team to win the game on saturday. Viva la Poyet.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I 100% believe Cortese, not purely because I'm a Saints fan, but everything he has said has been true so far. Why would he feel the need to lie about it? We've got a better manager in Adkins so you can keep your "messiah"

Nonce. You've got a better squad, it's difficult to compare managers when they have different 'tools' to work with!

TottonSFC

Oct 19, 2011
Nonce. You've got a better squad, it's difficult to compare managers when they have different 'tools' to work with!

How does my comment make me a nonce? Good effort.

Ok, Mourinho, Fergie etc can't be any better than Adkins because they have more money and resources to do their job, according to your logic.

You need to stop getting a boner over Poyet, he got you promoted, but Paul Jewell, Phil Brown, Ian Holloway and many others have done more with un-fancied clubs than Poyet, fact.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
How does my comment make me a nonce? Good effort.

Ok, Mourinho, Fergie etc can't be any better than Adkins because they have more money and resources to do their job, according to your logic.

You need to stop getting a boner over Poyet, he got you promoted, but Paul Jewell, Phil Brown, Ian Holloway and many others have done more with un-fancied clubs than Poyet, fact.

Rest assured I don't have boner over Poyet. Just bare in mind you have trolled onto a Brighton and Hove Albion based forum and ripped our manager, was hardly going to go unnoticed was it. I would also say it's worth noting that we weren't exactly fancied last season.

TottonSFC

Oct 19, 2011
Rest assured I don't have boner over Poyet. Just bare in mind you have trolled onto a Brighton and Hove Albion based forum and ripped our manager, was hardly going to go unnoticed was it. I would also say it's worth noting that we weren't exactly fancied last season.

You weren't fancied, that's why I compared Poyet to Jewell, Brown, Holloway and the like. Poyet has achieved nothing out of the norm to make him the great manager you think he is. You seem to be forgetting his only achievement is taking you up, Adkins took Scunthorpe up, a tiny club and consolidated their position in the Championship, so my original point that Adkins is better than Poyet is true, I don't expect you to accept that as it will hurt you too much

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here