Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus said this morning Saints more important than Palace for him.

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
Everybody in football, (even every single Saints fan prior to their recent success) knows that Cortese is a snidey lying little wanker, who'd sell his Grandmother's arse for a profit. I wouldn't believe a word that he says - a view which most honest Saints fans would agree with.
:lol::thumbsup:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't believe anyone, least of all me, has claimed that.

Yes they have! The guy JJB who originally threw thsi out there, has clearly stated that the reason Gus doesn't like Saints is because he wante the job and didn't get it.

That's the very point we are agruing.

Stop being so bloody OBTUSE.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't.

There is a slightly mental section of our fanbase who can't seem to deal with the club being run well so have digs at him and call him a lier.

I said HONEST Saints fans. Of course you've all warmed to him recently, due to beating everybody out of site.

Go and read your forums / Echo site from 18 months ago, and see what you were all saying about the little toad.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yes they have! The guy JJB who originally threw thsi out there, has clearly stated that the reason Gus doesn't like Saints is because he wante the job and didn't get it.

That's the very point we are agruing.

Stop being so bloody OBTUSE.

It seems clear to me that JJB is recounting the same story I heard this morning. And I'm happy with my interpretation of that story, and all those second-hand to it can do is interpret, that I posted earlier on this thread.

Gus is clearly very needled by Southampton.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So JJB please clarify, did your family friend of the inner circle at St Mary's tell you that Gus had been approached or had applied for the job? The way your original post reads would suggest one or the other, not that he was on a shortlist with no contact made.

If there was no contact why would Gus have his nose out of joint about it?

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Why are we trying to stir a rivalry with Scumhampton all of a sudden? To be honest I don't give a shit about them, their arrogant and big headed wanker Adkins or their deluded fans. Can we please do our talking on the pitch on Saturday, because for me beating Palarse is bigger then beating Scumhampton.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I wasn't at his press conference so can't comment on the context but, let's be clear, Gus has a history with Saints as our manager and, until the fateful night, had no history with Palace. It's not surprising that after the events of last season this is a significant game to him. And also, as has been said, it is the next game and the one he sat down to discuss today. Come Palace away he'll be talking that up too.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Why are we trying to stir a rivalry with Scumhampton all of a sudden? To be honest I don't give a shit about them, their arrogant and big headed wanker Adkins or their deluded fans. Can we please do our talking on the pitch on Saturday, because for me beating Palarse is bigger then beating Scumhampton.

Here here Basil

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne

I think that Gus has a point if he meant that our next game is more important than any game played previously this Season regardless whether it was against palarse or not. He is rightly focused on the whole season. As fans we obviously feel that a palarse game will always be the MOST important & eagerly anticipated, Gus doe's not have to buy into that sentiment as his job is to get the team performing to their best ability for every game.

gwc

georgeweahscousin
Apr 21, 2011
Overlooking the Solent
I said HONEST Saints fans. Of course you've all warmed to him recently, due to beating everybody out of site.

Go and read your forums / Echo site from 18 months ago, and see what you were all saying about the little toad.

That is where you are wrong. It is the disHONEST Saints fans, the union, shop steward types, the ones who want something for nothing and are more worried about what they gain like ST prices etc. that moan about him.

The decent ones are happy because he is running the club very well. Everybody called him a liar when he said Eddie Howe hadn't been offered the job before Adkins, and it turned out to be true.....

He is doing a fantastic job. The appointment of Adkins has been a masterstroke and the 15th most expensive squad in the division has been top nearly all season. He has delivered on everything he set out to.

If he says Poyet was interested in the job but not considered, I would be inclined to believe it. There was no mention of interviews, just that he was interested. Not that far fetched is it? That Poyet might have applied?

gwc

georgeweahscousin
Apr 21, 2011
Overlooking the Solent

I hope the use of "Scumhampton" was deliberate irony?

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
So JJB please clarify, did your family friend of the inner circle at St Mary's tell you that Gus had been approached or had applied for the job? The way your original post reads would suggest one or the other, not that he was on a shortlist with no contact made.

If there was no contact why would Gus have his nose out of joint about it?

I don't know so much as that, I know that there were several applications for the job, including the likes of Phil Brown. Most of which were disgarded fairly quickly. I do not know if Gus was one of these or if the club made an approach for Gus. At the time Cortese could have been interested as Gus fit's the portrait of what he was after, a young upcoming manager. I don't know the details of how it came down to it, but in the end Cortese was interested in one of the three mentioned in my initial post (according to my contact). I do not know how far the process went with Gus. If we did seek to speak with him, would Bloom make it public? I don't know if Gus was interviewed or not, Adkins was and Howe was, twice (despite what Mitchell says).

The impression I get from it is that Gus was well aware of our interest in him as a potential manager, but when cortese completely overlooked him and went for Adkins, he, wasn't impressed with the decision.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If he says Poyet was interested in the job but not considered, I would be inclined to believe it. There was no mention of interviews, just that he was interested. Not that far fetched is it? That Poyet might have applied?

I may be being naive but I'd find that quite offensive, if true. I prefer to think that Cortese is mischief making, that's not beyond the realms of possibility either, is it?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't know so much as that, I know that there were several applications for the job, including the likes of Phil Brown. Most of which were disgarded fairly quickly. I do not know if Gus was one of these or if the club made an approach for Gus. At the time Cortese could have been interested as Gus fit's the portrait of what he was after, a young upcoming manager. I don't know the details of how it came down to it, but in the end Cortese was interested in one of the three mentioned in my initial post (according to my contact). I do not know how far the process went with Gus. If we did seek to speak with him, would Bloom make it public? I don't know if Gus was interviewed or not, Adkins was and Howe was, twice (despite what Mitchell says).

The impression I get from it is that Gus was well aware of our interest in him as a potential manager, but when cortese completely overlooked him and went for Adkins, he, wasn't impressed with the decision.

Fair enough, thanks for that JJB

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
To Gus , Southampton away is the prize game of the season , at the end of January Palace away will be the prize game of the season. In pure footballing terms Southampton are one of the big clubs in this division and Palace are punching well above their weight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here