Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet - right or wrong?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I would say, as I kind of did earlier, that if it was one of our players, Poyet would go into overdrive protecting them.

Maybe so, but it would be in doing so he would be in total contradiction to his comments of last night and today.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
His been charged ffs do you not get it. The fa won't charge him if there was not a case to answer.

:facepalm: where is the proof gus is god.

Nowhere.

And in this day and age if there was proof then it would be online somewhere.

If the FA did not charge Suarez, Evra would just say they are not doing enough to combat racism. He was always going to be charged. Guilty or not guilty. And i dont for one minute believe he is guilty or a racist

farawaysaint

Oct 1, 2011
Maybe so, but it would be in doing so he would be in total contradiction to his comments of last night and today.

Gus is a wee bit hypocritical you know that by now :lolol: It's fine, all the best managers are ask Arsene "I didn't see the incident it was on the other side of the pitch" Wenger.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Oh come on, he is an exciting player, but he looks for free kicks in the same way Nani, Walcott, Torres and many other players do.

I disagree. When I say that I mean, he is no worse than any footballer, but he gets far more abuse than others. Only been in the country 5 minutes as well.

Gus should not have got involved - the only people who are the arbitors of the Evra/Suarez incident are the FA.
Bloom should get him in his office and read him the riot act because he is not only damaging himself but the clubs reputation.
What is he going to say to any black player who he wants to sign in the future? Just put up with any racial abuse you get on the pitch. It is not going to help us attract players in the future.
I think this may be serious enough for the FA to charge him with bringing the game into disrepute.
As for the people on her who liken racism to being name called because your are ginger that is pathetic - the root of all the issues regarding racism is to be found in the history of slavery, segregation and apartheid over hundreds of years so NOT comparable at all.
Poyet has gone done massively in my estimation over this and he has let his own ego and self-importance prevail over keeping his mouth shut.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Gus Poyet said:
“You are not racist when you go against one, but [you are] if you go against the whole world of different colour and nationalities. That is being racist, not saying one word in one moment. If that’s what you want, fair enough. I take it and accept it. I had to behave in a different way because I’ve been in England for 13 years. So I know what you are like and I adapt to that."

I believe that the problem we have in the UK is the way that we perceive racism. The general suggestion seems to be that when there is a one-off comment - be it on the football pitch or out on the street - you're deemed racist. If you call someone a "f***ing northern monkey" or "stupid chink", "pommy/limey twat" or "black ****" in the heat of the moment, is that racist? Is that really someone who is prejudice against a person's race (ok, being northern isn't a race, but hopefully you get the point)? Does a one-off comment like that really mean that the offender is discriminating against someone for the colour of their skin? Maybe it's an unpopular view, but I don't think so.

I think that being racist is not allowing a black person to sit at the front of a bus, or not serving a Chinese national at a shop counter. This is how it's viewed the world over, which I think is the point that Poyet is making. A one-off comment in the heat of the moment doesn't make you a racist in any other country - just here in the UK where it's so taboo that it can create front page news, whilst every other country isn't the slightest bit bothered about hyping it up to such levels.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Reading that article what Poyet is saying makes perfect sense. I did not hear the interview or read the other articles, but this one reads well to me.

The Irish press this week have picked up on the "English obsession" with things such as racism etc etc, I think we have gone PC over anything everyone says.

There is no place for racism anywhere, but people get picked up on any single little comment and when you take things out of context they can be made to look bad (and deliberatly so in most cases)

Agree 100%

This racism stuff is so so so boring, if there's a case to be had then lets hear it and then act accordingly but all these interviews with foreigners such as Gus, Blatter e.t.c are so useless as they are all taken out of context and they are from people who havent grown up in PC Britain!

All the media and the world sits there with their ears pricked up just waiting in anticipation of something being said that doesnt fit in with how we think or should think.

What is construde as racism has changed so much, Poyet said there was a player called Negro or something and thats what he's been called in South America and Spain for many a year, Irani and Brazil are more or less fouling themselves, he cant say that!! You could hear the fear in their voices!

I see it as a pathetic attempt to gain ratings, lets get someone on who doesnt speak great english, who comes from an entirely different world and we will rip him apart if he says anything borderline.

It makes you embarrassed to be british and surrounded by this nonsence.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Absolutely wrong, i find his comments sickening whichis sad as his the manager of my club. This is and already has starting to kick up a right old stink and I don't want our club to be part of it, dare I say it Gus might find his job in severe danger over the coming days.

kano

Jun 17, 2011
I believe that the problem we have in the UK is the way that we perceive racism. The general suggestion seems to be that when there is a one-off comment - be it on the football pitch or out on the street - you're deemed racist. If you call someone a "f***ing northern monkey" or "stupid chink", "pommy/limey twat" or "black ****" in the heat of the moment, is that racist? Is that really someone who is prejudice against a person's race (ok, being northern isn't a race, but hopefully you get the point)? Does a one-off comment like that really mean that the offender is discriminating against someone for the colour of their skin? Maybe it's an unpopular view, but I don't think so.

I think that being racist is not allowing a black person to sit at the front of a bus, or not serving a Chinese national at a shop counter. This is how it's viewed the world over, which I think is the point that Poyet is making. A one-off comment in the heat of the moment doesn't make you a racist in any other country - just here in the UK where it's so taboo that it can create front page news, whilst every other country isn't the slightest bit bothered about hyping it up to such levels.

Nail -> Head

Jimmy Grimble

He says what he wants, he says what he wants, he's Gus Poyet, he says what he wants!

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
:facepalm: where is the proof gus is god.

Nowhere.

And in this day and age if there was proof then it would be online somewhere.

If the FA did not charge Suarez, Evra would just say they are not doing enough to combat racism. He was always going to be charged. Guilty or not guilty. And i dont for one minute believe he is guilty or a racist

Your facepalming me lol. Your defending someone that has been charged with racist abuse saying his innocent based on no evidence i have not said his guilty just that the fa would not have charged him if there was not a case to answer.

D

Deleted User X18H

I think what grates with me is that the press conference is designed to supply for those who attend, the chance to gain information about the upcoming match, team selection, injuries, thoughts on oppostion etc. Not all this nonsense.

Revzzz

Nov 18, 2011
This.

On a vaguely related note, funny how Suarez gets all the diving cheating stuff chucked at him when, to my eyes, he is an incredibly exciting, very talented footballer who loves playing the game. A lot of people in England just seem to label him with the cheat thing because of where he comes from.

As with a lot of "rival" fans, I was following this thread and was pleasantly surprised by the general condemnation of Poyet's comments.

However, I had to sign up to reply to this post. Suarez is a massive cheat. I haven't really seen anyone like him before in England, and that includes Ronaldo. When Liverpool bought him from Ajax, he was serving a 7 match ban in The Netherlands for biting, I repeat, biting, an opponent. He dives all the time, definitely far more than anyone else in the League. He's just generally an odious person. He tried claiming that Swansea's(?) goalkeeper handled the ball outside the area when he was about 2 yards inside the area, that just goes to show what he'll resort to to gain an advantage on the pitch.

He's an exciting footballer to watch, but I definitely wouldn't want him at my club and it probably explains why a bigger club than Liverpool didn't take a punt on him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here