Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet - right or wrong?

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Do you have to be a racist to racially abuse someone? I'm sure that Gus is speaking from a good knowledge of the man when he says that Suarez is'nt a racist - but that doesn't mean he didn't racially abuse Evra. The other problem is that the racial abuse 'bar' is set a lot lower in the UK than in other countries (in some there doesn't seem to be a bar at all). Gus was quite right when he said that Suarez had only recently come to this country and is still learning the way we do things - but that doesn't give him free reign to carry on as if he was still in Uruguay.

Anyone hoping that Gus will keep quiet now is going to be disappointed. This question will be brought up every time he appears in front of a microphone or camera - starting tomorrow afternoon.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
But does the fact that he has been charged mean is he guilty?

Do you believe he is guilty more now that he has been charged than you did before?

No but it does not mean he innocent. I believe he must have said something for him to be charged but it i don't know what no one does.

Gus really should have kept quiet.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I see there are embarrassingly many people defending Poyet in here.
I hope we meet your rather useless **** of a team one of these days.

There has just been MU fans ring up Talksport in defence of Gus, so I suggest you wind your neck in. The majority on here do appear upset and concerned by Gus's comments. Now it's nearly 11am so time for your prawn sarnies...

Revzzz

Nov 18, 2011
Isnt Negro technically correct anyway?

What is the context for Suarez to refer to Evra's skin colour? Poyet said on Talksport that 'we're not allowed to say black any more'. You can call someone black, since it's a perfectly acceptable adjective. You can't go up to someone and call them black to wind them up.

Even still, I very much doubt that Suarez doesn't know that negro isn't an acceptable term in English speaking countries. Why hasn't Glenn Johnson or an ex-Ajax team mate come forward and said that Suarez regularly called them negro/negrito? It would be suspiciously late now, of course.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Yes, it is racist because one is using race as a term of abuse - the comment implies that there is something inherently wrong with/bad about being black when there clearly is not.

But is that not the British conditioning that Gus is referring to? Such terms are used the world over and aren't considered to be suggesting that there's anything wrong about the colour of someone's skin. It's just in the UK where there's such a taboo over such a comment and generates a hysteria. As Gus says, he's been here a long time so knows what he can and can't say - but Suarez has been here 3 months and hasn't really picked up on that sentiment. Does it not just highlight the fact that the UK is overly sensitive about the subject when it's really not considered to be bad throughout 99% of the rest of planet Earth?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I see there are embarassingly many defending Gustavo Poyet here.
I hope we meet your shitteam one of these days...

So you took the trouble of registering on our messageboard to post this pearl of wisdom. Well done.

Revzzz

Nov 18, 2011
But is that not the British conditioning that Gus is referring to? Such terms are used the world over and aren't considered to be suggesting that there's anything wrong about the colour of someone's skin. It's just in the UK where there's such a taboo over such a comment and generates a hysteria. As Gus says, he's been here a long time so knows what he can and can't say - but Suarez has been here 3 months and hasn't really picked up on that sentiment. Does it not just highlight the fact that the UK is overly sensitive about the subject when it's really not considered to be bad throughout 99% of the rest of planet Earth?

Suarez has been here for 10 months.

I know someone from The Netherlands who's said that there's absolutely no chance that Suarez doesn't know that you can't call a black person 'negro' having lived there for 5 years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here