Gus Poyet - right or wrong?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I've started a facebook group to get rid of Blatter but we are the only Country who seem to care! So like Gus says maybe its more to do with us!

Now we all knew Blatter was a homophobic, sexist twat so it was no real surprise to find out he was a casual racist as well.

With comments like that about Blatter that's no surprise....:bla:

Sep 19, 2011
Cuckfield
I think what grates with me is that the press conference is designed to supply for those who attend, the chance to gain information about the upcoming match, team selection, injuries, thoughts on oppostion etc. Not all this nonsense.

You clearly have no idea how the world of the media works, which must be frankly embarrassing for the people you write for

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Whether true or not as wiki

However, in Spanish-speaking countries such as Argentina, Chile, and Uruguay where there are few people of African origin and appearance, negro (negra for females) is commonly used to refer to partners, close friends or people in general independent of skin color. In Venezuela the word negro is similarly used, despite its large African descent population.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Your facepalming me lol. Your defending someone that has been charged with racist abuse saying his innocent based on no evidence i have not said his guilty just that the fa would not have charged him if there was not a case to answer.

But does the fact that he has been charged mean is he guilty?

Do you believe he is guilty more now that he has been charged than you did before?

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
If you call someone a "f***ing northern monkey" or "stupid chink", "pommy/limey twat" or "black ****" in the heat of the moment, is that racist? Is that really someone who is prejudice against a person's race (ok, being northern isn't a race, but hopefully you get the point)? Does a one-off comment like that really mean that the offender is discriminating against someone for the colour of their skin? Maybe it's an unpopular view, but I don't think so.

Yes, it is racist because one is using race as a term of abuse - the comment implies that there is something inherently wrong with/bad about being black when there clearly is not.

I think that being racist is not allowing a black person to sit at the front of a bus, or not serving a Chinese national at a shop counter. This is how it's viewed the world over, which I think is the point that Poyet is making.

These situations occur precisely when the comments you referred to above are widely tolerated and become the 'norm'.

I think you are conflating two issues - (a) being a racist and (b) making a racist comment. Clearly one stupid comment, or even a series of stupid comments, does not make someone a racist but it is right that we should criticise that person for making a racist comment.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Good grief! Poyet has somehow managed to allow Keys & Gray to adopt the moral high ground. They've just apologised for the content of the the replay of the interview. This is BAD.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
I see there are embarassingly many defending Gustavo Poyet here.
I hope we meet your shitteam one of these days...

B&HA is a proper football club, not a bloated, monstrous cancer on our game like the glory-hunting creeps club from Old Trafford.

manutd_gone_wild

Nov 18, 2011
I see there are embarrassingly many people defending Poyet in here.
I hope we meet your rather useless **** of a team one of these days.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've just heard the whole interview. I'm stunned I really am. Even more so now hearing the whole thing. Blatter probably can't believe his luck, someone even more stupid than him has decided to say some ill considered nonsense to the press.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
Good grief! Poyet has somehow managed to allow Keys & Gray to adopt the moral high ground. They've just apologised for the content of the the replay of the interview. This is BAD.

No, Keys and Gray are bad.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I believe that the problem we have in the UK is the way that we perceive racism. The general suggestion seems to be that when there is a one-off comment - be it on the football pitch or out on the street - you're deemed racist. If you call someone a "f***ing northern monkey" or "stupid chink", "pommy/limey twat" or "black ****" in the heat of the moment, is that racist? Is that really someone who is prejudice against a person's race (ok, being northern isn't a race, but hopefully you get the point)? Does a one-off comment like that really mean that the offender is discriminating against someone for the colour of their skin? Maybe it's an unpopular view, but I don't think so.

I think that being racist is not allowing a black person to sit at the front of a bus, or not serving a Chinese national at a shop counter. This is how it's viewed the world over, which I think is the point that Poyet is making. A one-off comment in the heat of the moment doesn't make you a racist in any other country - just here in the UK where it's so taboo that it can create front page news, whilst every other country isn't the slightest bit bothered about hyping it up to such levels.
There is an awful lot of truth in what you've said, Mr Blobby also referred to it when he said the Irish talk about the 'English obsession'. I said in my original post (way back in the depths of this thread) that we seem to be out of step with what the rest of the world think, barring perhaps the 'PC lobby' in other Anglosphere countries. There is a case to be made for saying that we've become too sensitive and we're too quick to confuse racism, or indeed any discrimination, with just boorish behaviour. Witness the binfest on homophobia we had a few weeks ago.

EDIT: Still think Poyet is in the wrong though on this.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports