Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Gus after liam + will

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Maybe the combination of £3.5m bid disguises the true value of both somewhat. The result, if it's true, is that while Will might get paid a little more than he'd otherwise deserve, Sunderland can pay Liam a hell of a lot less, claiming that he was only worth £2.5m to them.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I should imagine Ulloa will be on a number of clubs shopping lists,

I simply cannot see us selling Bridcutt, and Buckley, and Ulloa.

We are not having a firesale, far from it.

We are outside the playoffs on goal difference only. Why derail the season by rebuilding the team when we don't need to sell.

Bridcutt may go if the price is very good. Also Barnes as there is only 6 months left on his contract. I reckon that's it.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
£2.5 Million for Liam Bridcutt is fair price for a defensive / holding midfielder from the Championship with no Premiership experience anything over than would be bonus.

Liam has been fantastic for us but he wants to play the highest level and we have a perfect replacement in Ince or Andrews.

Take the money and get in a play maker in the middle of the park and watch us sail into the Play Off's.

Agustein might yet fill that role too.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
Poyet must be aware that Buckley spends more time injured than fit. He'd be a good signing if he wasn't so injury prone but a player is no use in the treatment room.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I don't want to defend Poyet but the amount they offer isn't really anything to do with him is it?

If there's one thing we learned from his endless moaning here about transfer budgets it's that he doesn't care how much reckless spending his club does. I'd imagine he couldn't care less if Sunderland gave us 10million for Bridcutt, he's just said "get me that player".

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I hope it is true. 5M is a good bit of business and we could really strengthen the squad in Jan.

Looking at what we paid for Ulloa, imagine what flair Oscar could get his hands on from Spain & the likes of Barcelona B with this sort of dosh! Still I'd prefer we kept Liam. :(

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Poyet must be aware that Buckley spends more time injured than fit. He'd be a good signing if he wasn't so injury prone but a player is no use in the treatment room.

Maybe he feels that he could manage his injury better than we are currently.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Looking at what we paid for Ulloa, imagine what flair Oscar could get his hands on from Spain & the likes of Barcelona B with this sort of dosh! Still I'd prefer we kept Liam. :(

Exactly. Our scouting network has been excellent during the past couple of years; the only real let down has been Jobbie, and that was a last minute panic buy thinking that CMS was on his way.

modulate

Nov 23, 2013
Ill bounce this end of January.

Ready brought someone in who will be around 40k per week.

I was making a general comment rather than on the specific situation. Maybe there are funds more readily available for loans and frees, none of us know how Sunderland work out their budgets.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I'd be inclined to say that, if Bridcutt wants to go, the club should let him go, but be sure to get the highest price they can command for him. Given his reputation, my feeling is that it ought to be rather more than £2.5m.

What's much less clear is why (apart from some misguided loyalty to Poyet, perhaps?) Bridcutt would want to go to Sunderland. His wish to join a premier league team is well-known, and he himself is well-known to premier league teams. I would imagine that his agent will advise him against jumping ship for the first offer that comes along, particularly from a team likely to spend most of the season in a possibly unsuccessful relegation battle. There must be EPL teams with far better prospects than Sunderland, and possibly deeper pockets, who'd also be interested, surely?

However, if Bridcutt does end up joining Poyet, I won't be unduly bothered, and I suspect that it may be a move that they both end up regretting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here