Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter to remain at Brighton...even if they get relegated

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Brilliant post.

I’ve been shocked at the number of good sensible posters losing their beans and turning to the ‘Potter Out’ camp. We’ve missed 20 big chances this season, no other team is anywhere near. This along with Potter finally getting the best out of March, ruthlessly solving the ‘Ryan lets every shot on target in’ dilemma, attracting the likes of Welbeck & Lallana, keeping hold of White, playing the best passing football I have ever seen at the club, playing Man Utd off the pitch etc etc.

We’ve come so far, it’s the height of entitlement not to back Tony Bloom’s plan. He has consistently prioritised ‘style of football’ in his Manager recruitment with the exception of Hughton where promotion was the key.

It’s almost upsetting that so many seemingly intelligent fans are so short term in their view because several of our players have lost any ability they ever had to put the ball in the back of the net. The goals will come because we are creating so many fantastic chances with our brilliant build up play.

Indeed. :bowdown: :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You better hope he doesn’t fire Potter on Christmas Eve :lolol:

Yeah....the thought had crossed my mind....aftertiming text in preparation :lolol: :thumbsup:

No one knows and that's fact. If we get relegated it would be a disaster for Tony after all the money he has put into the club. Make no mistake about it especially with the losses due to covid and no fans. Tony will want premier league football and he won't "just" let us sleepwalk to relegation.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
We are a change from most other clubs.

The thing I find astonishing (perhaps this is simply my naïvety) is the quite sensible longstanding posters on NSC, some of whom have been acquaintances of mine, pals even, for 20+ years, who don't seem to realise thsi, and apparently want Mr Bloom to be more like the Dildo Brothers, the madman at Watford, or even the parade of perma tanned tossers in charge at Palace, hiring and firing the likes of Pards, ambitious foreigners like Silva who are off at the first hint of a few wins and interest from a big club, and even ****ing Big Sam, each club with a series of players who mostly want to leave, with the odd sulky superstar like Zaha...I could go on.

No, we have an owner who has appointed a coach he sees as different, not on a lot of money it would appear, and on a long term contract to protect what Tony sees as an asset who will eventually shine. Relegation is certainly not part of the plan but it can be accomodated if necessary.

And people still don't get it. Deprived of the coke-like rush of winning division 3 (or even the fabled and much lamented Championship, with it's lack of VAR, unbelievably shit referees who rarely even appear to know what they're doing, and an all-conquering Leeds-like vanquishing of opponents under Crish Hughton's visionary and daring attacking football) they grump and winge about our failure to achieve what Tony 'promised' (i.e., top ten every season, and a trophy every other).

**** me. I mean, FFS. Seriously.

If you want a coke-like rush, take some coke and watch Liverpool, or Man U. You could put the TV up by a window and watch from your back garden, for that authentic out-doors feel.

Meanwhile I am proud of my club, recognise what the owner has done and trust his judgement.

Sorry for my withering vituperation. I appreciate we are all different and want different things, and I do hope you people who see things differently from me do get what you wish for which, I assume, is some wins soon. I think we can all agree on that. :thumbsup:

[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

The thing I find astonishing (perhaps this is simply my naïvety) is the quite sensible longstanding posters on NSC, some of whom have been acquaintances of mine, pals even, for 20+ years, who don't seem to realise thsi, and apparently want Mr Bloom to be more like the Dildo Brothers, the madman at Watford, or even the parade of perma tanned tossers in charge at Palace, hiring and firing the likes of Pards, ambitious foreigners like Silva who are off at the first hint of a few wins and interest from a big club, and even ****ing Big Sam, each club with a series of players who mostly want to leave, with the odd sulky superstar like Zaha...I could go on.

No, we have an owner who has appointed a coach he sees as different, not on a lot of money it would appear, and on a long term contract to protect what Tony sees as an asset who will eventually shine. Relegation is certainly not part of the plan but it can be accomodated if necessary.

And people still don't get it. Deprived of the coke-like rush of winning division 3 (or even the fabled and much lamented Championship, with it's lack of VAR, unbelievably shit referees who rarely even appear to know what they're doing, and an all-conquering Leeds-like vanquishing of opponents under Crish Hughton's visionary and daring attacking football) they grump and winge about our failure to achieve what Tony 'promised' (i.e., top ten every season, and a trophy every other).

If you want a coke-like rush, take some coke and watch Liverpool, or Man U. You could put the TV up by a window and watch from your back garden, for that authentic out-doors feel.

Meanwhile I am proud of my club, recognise what the owner has done and trust his judgement.

Sorry for my withering vituperation. I appreciate we are all different and want different things, and I do hope you people who see things differently from me do get what you wish for which, I assume, is some wins soon. I think we can all agree on that. :thumbsup:

The rallying call we all need HWT. I think you have nailed the situation nicely.

I am proud of 'the Brighton way' and would be mortified if we caved and bought in the Big Sams, Tony Pulis' etc of this world. To avoid such humiliation I think that the most important thing we need here is patience. Potterball is producing the goods in all stats expect the important one. With a little patience and an unwavering determination to stick to the cause, we stand on the cusp of something truly special with Potter at the helm.

Our choice at present seems to be to turn from this long term plan and fight spot fires to avoid relegation until eventually we make the wrong choice and succumb to the inevitable. Then we hit the Championship with no plan and again gamble on a manager to get us back up. Or we follow the long term plan, hold our nerve and stick with it. If Tony is sure that this is the man to bring us the sustained success we crave then I am happy with that he hasn't done a bad job making decisions so far.

Off the top of my head, I can think of two clubs who have stuck to their plan and not sacked their manager when so many were calling for them to (or at least expecting them to). Southampton are one of those clubs who held their nerve and are reaping the rewards. The other is Norwich who not only stuck with their manager but also didn't view relegation as the end of the world. they are looking good to come back up with their younger players a couple of years more experienced.

Anyway, Thanks to your post HWT I am back on board with this project. Hoping for some better results soon.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The rallying call we all need HWT. I think you have nailed the situation nicely.

I am proud of 'the Brighton way' and would be mortified if we caved and bought in the Big Sams, Tony Pulis' etc of this world. To avoid such humiliation I think that the most important thing we need here is patience. Potterball is producing the goods in all stats expect the important one. With a little patience and an unwavering determination to stick to the cause, we stand on the cusp of something truly special with Potter at the helm.

Our choice at present seems to be to turn from this long term plan and fight spot fires to avoid relegation until eventually we make the wrong choice and succumb to the inevitable. Then we hit the Championship with no plan and again gamble on a manager to get us back up. Or we follow the long term plan, hold our nerve and stick with it. If Tony is sure that this is the man to bring us the sustained success we crave then I am happy with that he hasn't done a bad job making decisions so far.

Off the top of my head, I can think of two clubs who have stuck to their plan and not sacked their manager when so many were calling for them to (or at least expecting them to). Southampton are one of those clubs who held their nerve and are reaping the rewards. The other is Norwich who not only stuck with their manager but also didn't view relegation as the end of the world. they are looking good to come back up with their younger players a couple of years more experienced.

Anyway, Thanks to your post HWT I am back on board with this project. Hoping for some better results soon.

:thumbsup:

Yes, Norwich. Their detractactors can....Farke off! :lolol:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Spot on, great post Harry.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
If we did go down, I'd wonder how much loyalty he'd show if a mid table team came in for him at Christmas.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

Totally agree. Knee jerk reactions to basic stimuli (boo hoo we lost - sack the manager). I feel like I'm watching amoebas under a microscope sometimes.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Potter fans please explain your excitement in this fella.

We couldn’t beat the worst team in the league at home who just happened to play half the game with ten men.

Since being appointed we now have the worst home form in the league (Not great is it).

Possession stats at the end of the day mean well nothing really, we went through this with Poyet his last season that team should of been promoted by Easter instead we played out to many draws with well basically exactly the same style as Potter slow build up possession based bullshit. Your praising Potter for what ??? Almost winning games we never f.ucking win :shrug:

A worrying fact we are no better than our relegation rivals after a year and a half of wonderful Potter ball :eek:

So instead of telling me to go and support Liverpool or would I prefer Pulis or Pardew please explain what your seeing happen on the pitch that convinces you Potter one day will lead us into Europe or mid table I don’t mind either tbh.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So instead of telling me to go and support Liverpool or would I prefer Pulis or Pardew please explain what your seeing happen on the pitch that convinces you Potter one day will lead us into Europe or mid table I don’t mind either tbh.

I think those of us supportive of GP did try to explain why we believe in him for about 1,5 years now. A short summary would be that the team is generally playing nice football, creating a lot of chances (unfortunately wasting most of them) as well as introducing five academy players to the first team (Sanchez, White, Alzate, Molumby, Connolly), transforming the team while producing roughly the same results as CH.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If we did go down, I'd wonder how much loyalty he'd show if a mid table team came in for him at Christmas.

Probably a lot. He could get sacked or he could walk if he feels that he cant turn things around but he wont run away just because of a bigger club calling.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

well , seeing as he is continually learning from things one would assume that he would stick around and aim to improve himself and the team and bring them back to the prom with himself and the team ready ....:moo:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

We couldn’t beat the worst team in the league at home who just happened to play half the game with ten men.

Since being appointed we now have the worst home form in the league (Not great is it).

Possession stats at the end of the day mean well nothing really, we went through this with Poyet his last season that team should of been promoted by Easter instead we played out to many draws with well basically exactly the same style as Potter slow build up possession based bullshit. Your praising Potter for what ??? Almost winning games we never f.ucking win :shrug:

A worrying fact we are no better than our relegation rivals after a year and a half of wonderful Potter ball :eek:

Going back weeks. There are pages and pages of people explaining why they think that Potter should be supported. Just as there are pages and pages of people explaining why they think that he is not the man for the job. Both sides' arguments are often and largely back by statistics and sound logic.

Disagree with either side all you want but calling for an explanation of either argument at this point is surely unnecessary?

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

TB is a great believer in statistical analysis and he knows that the numbers are there in terms of chances being created. This why I don't think he's gonna sack Potter any time soon. We actually created more chances than the Premier League champions when we played them, it's just that the difference is in personnel. We can't finish the chances cos our strikers are pony and the midfield tries to pass to our pony strikers in the final 3rd in positions where they'd probably be better off having a dig at goal. You've arguably got a point when you look at how bad we are when attacking (and defending) set pieces, that's down to the manager. As is team lineup and questionable substitutions. But Potterball itself is working when you look at the amount of chances we create. It's far better than the turgid shite we were playing under Hughton where there were games where we didn't have a SINGLE SHOT on goal.

Some people have very short memories.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here