Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter to remain at Brighton...even if they get relegated

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not really, I honestly thought the last two games might be the tipping point but then was told by someone at the club as stated in the column that's GP's job is safe regardless of relegation, as TB has a long term vision of which GP is a huge part.
Well that explains his 5 year contract. I thought it was remarkably generous for a reasonably unproven manager. I don't even think the Arsene Wenger had a 5 year contact at Arsenal at any point? I think he had rolling 2-3 year contracts?

Brave move from TB, makes a change from most other clubs.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How many transfer windows, for how many managers, have we been saying that for?

Since we realised Craig Mackail-Smith was a Scottish international striker.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I agree. But West Brom managed it. Sheff Utd managed it. Fulham are managing it. It's utterly bizarre we can't.

I agree, it’s puzzling and frustrating... you have to ask... is it a problem on the training pitch ? Is it a tactical issue ? Are the players no longer doing what GP is instructing ? Very worrying if so... I still think it’s mainly a confidence issue tbh ... again though, GP needs to earn his money with regard to changing our worrying mindset and fast.

That is, if we want to stay up ... really want to... threads like this suggest it’s all a bit too acceptable imho... go down... meh we’ve still got a vision, a plan and a coach who took us down...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Confidence, belief, ability, faith in the system, faith in each other, coaching (yes) and man management.

All contributing factors, as are chance and luck - as ever.

The players need to shoulder some of the blame too... all these factors however, illustrate why we’re in trouble... GP is paid to find the answers ... hey ho.

Confidence is shot, luck has fecked off and this all leads to what we have seen. Shit happens and it may or may not turn around. Got to love being an Albion fan, more rough than smooth, what has changed? Nothing! We have had halcyon days in the last few years. New stadium, great football getting to the PL. It may never be as good again...but then it may all turn around and we’ll bounce back. We may however slip down the leagues again. However you feel now you WILL NOT give up on us, am I right?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Confidence is shot, luck has fecked off and this all leads to what we have seen. Shit happens and it may or may not turn around. Got to love being an Albion fan, more rough than smooth, what has changed? Nothing! We have had halcyon days in the last few years. New stadium, great football getting to the PL. It may never be as good again...but then it may all turn around and we’ll bounce back. We may however slip down the leagues again. However you feel now you WILL NOT give up on us, am I right?

Yes Icy, you are indeed spot on - I love this club... love the fact my son now love this club ... I think I’ve found it hard trying to explain to him why we’ve been so poor this season... I guess that’s played a part in my inconsistent ramblings.

Potterball this year, well it’s a bit like going on a few dates with a seriously beautiful woman, you laugh, you get on, it seems like a dream come to life, but just when you think (I’m in) things drift, fizzle out and for all those good times there was nought end product... sigh.

Yes that’s it.

Unrequited love, unrealised potential ... it all adds up to a rather glum feeling.

Still, she may get in touch... she could, she’s got my number, it could happen... couldn’t it?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well that explains his 5 year contract. I thought it was remarkably generous for a reasonably unproven manager. I don't even think the Arsene Wenger had a 5 year contact at Arsenal at any point? I think he had rolling 2-3 year contracts?

Brave move from TB, makes a change from most other clubs.

We are a change from most other clubs.

The thing I find astonishing (perhaps this is simply my naïvety) is the quite sensible longstanding posters on NSC, some of whom have been acquaintances of mine, pals even, for 20+ years, who don't seem to realise thsi, and apparently want Mr Bloom to be more like the Dildo Brothers, the madman at Watford, or even the parade of perma tanned tossers in charge at Palace, hiring and firing the likes of Pards, ambitious foreigners like Silva who are off at the first hint of a few wins and interest from a big club, and even ****ing Big Sam, each club with a series of players who mostly want to leave, with the odd sulky superstar like Zaha...I could go on.

No, we have an owner who has appointed a coach he sees as different, not on a lot of money it would appear, and on a long term contract to protect what Tony sees as an asset who will eventually shine. Relegation is certainly not part of the plan but it can be accomodated if necessary.

And people still don't get it. Deprived of the coke-like rush of winning division 3 (or even the fabled and much lamented Championship, with it's lack of VAR, unbelievably shit referees who rarely even appear to know what they're doing, and an all-conquering Leeds-like vanquishing of opponents under Crish Hughton's visionary and daring attacking football) they grump and winge about our failure to achieve what Tony 'promised' (i.e., top ten every season, and a trophy every other).

**** me. I mean, FFS. Seriously.

If you want a coke-like rush, take some coke and watch Liverpool, or Man U. You could put the TV up by a window and watch from your back garden, for that authentic out-doors feel.

Meanwhile I am proud of my club, recognise what the owner has done and trust his judgement.

Sorry for my withering vituperation. I appreciate we are all different and want different things, and I do hope you people who see things differently from me do get what you wish for which, I assume, is some wins soon. I think we can all agree on that. :thumbsup:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Well that’s ruined my Christmas.

I guess the long term strategy is to get relegated, hmmmmmm ... interesting way of demonstrating progress... unless this top 10 ‘aim’ was within the championship.

It’s a bit of a rubbish master plan.

Oh well ... here we come Luton! Oh joy ... Yey!

Unless we make a big signing up front we are so there it hurts.

You also wanted to sack CH and replace him with, short term, Alan Curbishley (not managed for 12 years) and long term Chris Wilder (I'm sure you'd be more optimstic as a Sheffield fan now...).

As both CH and GP were the ones at fault when things didnt go well, could I ask you about who was the latest Brighton manager actually worthy of managing the club? Hyypiä? Oscar? Poyet?

As for the "we're so there it hurts" prediction... remember where you thought Brighton would end up in the Championship 2016/17?

Now you are sitting there on your ass writing condescending shit about TB:s plans while in reality you should be very thankful it is him and not you running the club.

Oh, and with Tony Bloom already ruining your christmas... let me a) remind you where you would have been without him and b) put another nail to that coffin: whatever happens with Graham Potter and all the future not-good-enough managers, ****ing Alan Curbishley is never going to manage Brighton.

(and yes, I'm bored and it is very enjoyable to look up the history of the most self-assured footie experts and their track records).

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Hughton was also meant to be here for the long term, second season notoriously the hardest for the promoted sides and he wasn’t given the luxury of another crack at it :shrug:

Just two months before Hughton was sacked, Ashworth declared his job was to keep Hughton in employment with us.
Forgive me for being sceptical about a source at the club.

Last edited:

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
I'm not knowledgeable on such things, But when was the last time a premier league club didn't sack there manager after relegation, and who?.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
You also wanted to sack CH and replace him with, short term, Alan Curbishley (not managed for 12 years) and long term Chris Wilder (I'm sure you'd be more optimstic as a Sheffield fan now...).

As both CH and GP were the ones at fault when things didnt go well, could I ask you about who was the latest Brighton manager actually worthy of managing the club? Hyypiä? Oscar? Poyet?

As for the "where so there it hurts" prediction... remember where you thought Brighton would end up in the Championship 2016/17?

Now you are sitting there on your ass writing condescending shit about TB:s plans while in reality you should be very thankful it is him and not you running the club.

Oh, and with Tony Bloom already ruining your christmas... let me a) remind you where you would have been without him and b) put another nail to that coffin: whatever happens with Graham Potter and all the future not-good-enough managers, ****ing Alan Curbishley is never going to manage Brighton.

(and yes, I'm bored and it is very enjoyable to look up the history of the most self-assured footie experts and their track records).

I met Curbs, lovely man... yes, I would have loved him to manage us.

Anyway that said, it’s Christmas so have a nice one... oooohh if you’re looking back over my posts, check out my magedrive vs SNES poll thread - easily my best ever :)

Oh oh my nsc rap was good too, I think that went in 2003 purge ... still, it was a classic.

Should I be worried ? Hmmmm, nah.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I met Curbs, lovely man... yes, I would have loved him to manage us.

Anyway that said, it’s Christmas so have a nice one... oooohh if you’re looking back over my posts, check out my magedrive vs SNES poll thread - easily my best ever :)

Should I be worried ? Hmmmm, nah.

I wont do that, I'm a patient man with a cold temperament but them Nintendo fanboys wind me up..

(by the way I have no problems with Curbishley but 12 years without a job is pretty hopeless to come back from with the game developing as quick as it is and he probably know it himself)

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I wont do that, I'm a patient man with a cold temperament but them Nintendo fanboys wind me up..

I’m all about the mega drive, sleek and dark and a thing of inherent beauty... the SNES looked like a toaster.

I think we finally understand one another.

Peace be the journey.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’m all about the mega drive, sleek and dark and a thing of inherent beauty... the SNES looked like a toaster.

I think we finally understand one another.

Peace be the journey.

I can actually visualise Swansman in Ritchie Blackmore’s hat :lolol:

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
There's a quote from TB somewhere, from a while back, saying that the long term "project" may involve relegation as part of the process.

So this doesn't surprise me.

Sadly I can't find it, or maybe I imagined it...

BUT it was before COVID. You'd think the TV money from the Prem is a necessity at the moment and near future.

This isn't a Potter out post. I'm still behind him. Just thinking aloud about the impact of relegation during COVID.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I can actually visualise Swansman in Ritchie Blackmore’s hat :lolol:

It would be ironic if he is Ritchie, he could be... never meet your heroes and all that ... only joking.

I think he’s worried I want GP sacked, not really (as he’s a good pro, bloke too) I just want us to play well and win well a few more times this season... that’s it really and I worry he can’t deliver :/

Never mind, it’s only a game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here